Spridget

Spot The Rice!

1231162_10151845293459228_1280032151_n.j

from the other forum bahaha

• Like 1

Saw some burning rice yesterday. From the front it looked like a humble civic. You could tell someone at some point had tried to install a body kit, couldn't tell if the front lip was oem or not.... Once it got up to me it was even more evident of rice. Stupid spoiler (looked OEM though, not crazy)... As it drove off I knew it was rice. Back end had a giant fart can and had window tint that was done poorly........ Yeah rice.

I can't stand rice. Just can't stand it. Please. Rice. Go HOME.

Interesting "Taurus Talk" about the Neon. Question is, was it really an SRT4? The SRT4 was one of the fastest cars in the Chrysler stable second only in the quarter mile to the V-10 Viper, so no slouch. Imagine my delight when I came up beside what looked like an SRT4, badges, wheels and spoiler. I blipped my throttle and downshifted, floored it when it looked like he was game (I may be old, but once in a while I like to have a little fun). My surprise came when I actually held my lead. I pulled into my destination and he followed. He was as surprised as I was. Then I found out I had only beaten a regular SX 2.0 with five speed. He assumed I had done to the wagon what he did to the SX 2.0 (Neon), i.e. tart it up with the hot "performance appearance items". Only he had the stock 150 hp engine, albeit with the hood scoop, badges, large rear wing and 17 inch wheels of the SRT4. My SVT-WGN basically has only the vanity licence plate and the 17 inch SVT wheels on the exterior, but one more gear, and probably 25 to 30 hp on him under the hood.

We actually had a drink (root beer) together just like in the old days, old guy and young blood. I suggested he monitor the local SGI Salvage website, and wait for a real SRT4 to be written off. On average, there is at least one high performance compact car every month. If I had been interested, I could have bought a couple of SS Cobalts, an SRT4 Caliber (with six speed), a Redline Saturn Ion, SVT Focus (right, I did buy both of those), and a number of hopped up other ricers in the last couple of years. Seems like light weight, high power, turbo lag, loose gravel, torque steer and mostly inexperience lead to unfortunate consequences. He was unsure if he could do the swap, so I offered him our services (mostly my son). So far, no takers although one person has talked seriously about an SVT swap into the sedan - except no SVT's have been wrecked recently.

There is no cheaper performance option than swapping the hot engine and related items. At least one of the SS Cobalts had Recaro buckets. The price of the salvage was less than the price of the seats alone. I may still end buying one of those and swap the seats into the Taurus. The rest I can part off.

Engine swaps just aren't as easy as they used to be. It's not simple to just swap a motor out in a modern car. All the electronics make it a BIG project!

If its a 7.3L they are slow as hell even when hopped up. The Nissan soft top is an interesting design but so ugly, a guy down the road from me has 1, I see it off and on.

The 7.3 is slow as hell. Friend has a friend with one that's been tricked out and it's actually pretty quick now. I was pleasantly surprised. Boy though stock 7.3 is so slow.

The 7.3 is slow as hell. Friend has a friend with one that's been tricked out and it's actually pretty quick now. I was pleasantly surprised. Boy though stock 7.3 is so slow.

7.3 Suffers from 2 issues, poor air flow and poor fuel flow.  The 2 valve cylinder head can only handle so much air unlike other diesels have 4 valve heads.  The HEUI injectors also limit the amount of fuel that can be pushed in, the 7.3L is not a common rail system.  You can only do so much with the air issue and putting better injectors in is big $$.

A stock 6.0 or a stock duramax can walk on moderately hopped up 7.3L easy, that VG turbo makes a big difference in the 6.0L.

Not just big money... Big fuel money too :P

The 7.3 is bulletproof though...

I hate the 5.4 gas V8. Not sure why I thought of that now lol. Just don't like that motor.

What the hell is the middle one at the complete bottom.

What. The. Hell.

Disgusting orange paint job also probably helps.

:(

Also, that wing is OEM. That Neon looks stock to me.

That neon is rice and I don't like it.

Haha, it's stock and American.

What. The. Hell.

Christmas Taurus!

Can somebody please explain why ricers go with the "no front bumper" look?

Am I supposed to be impressed with the stock radiator?

Really, is there a point I'm missing? Because I see it everywhere.

More air to cool their rice powered vehicles. LOL

• Like 1

The see a neon SRT 4 with the intercooler exposed and think thats a cool look. Of course they're too dumb in their N/A 1.6L to realize its an intercooler and not the rad lol.

• Like 1

What. The. Hell.

Taurus blasphemy, what has been seen cannot be unseen.

breeves002 said on September 3, "Engine swaps just aren't as easy as they used to be. It's not simple to just swap a motor out in a modern car. All the electronics make it a BIG project!"

True, but not as scary as you might think. Our project swapped all the 2002 SVT goodies into a 2002 Focus wagon. Even then we had to swap the PAT key chip from one key to the other. But (and I do have one), nothing beats a stock looking pedestrian vehicle having a bit extra under the hood. Which is why my suggestion to the young'un to find a real SRT4.

All that said, with the exception of SHO engines into a regular Taurus body, there is very little available to noticeably improve performance in the Taurus. Which leads me to rant, why is it that there are more Taurus cars sold than Mustang and/or Focus, and yet they get all sorts of both performance and appearance goodies and we get none. Is the Taurus the proverbial "belly-button car"? (Everyone has one!) [/rant]

Easy. They had installed an aftermarket air or fluid cooler up front, albeit not taking into account that the front clip doesn't fit over it any longer. :P

Shortsighted, lazy, or maybe just plain stupid... take your pick.

breeves002 said on September 3, "Engine swaps just aren't as easy as they used to be. It's not simple to just swap a motor out in a modern car. All the electronics make it a BIG project!"

True, but not as scary as you might think. Our project swapped all the 2002 SVT goodies into a 2002 Focus wagon. Even then we had to swap the PAT key chip from one key to the other. But (and I do have one), nothing beats a stock looking pedestrian vehicle having a bit extra under the hood. Which is why my suggestion to the young'un to find a real SRT4.

All that said, with the exception of SHO engines into a regular Taurus body, there is very little available to noticeably improve performance in the Taurus. Which leads me to rant, why is it that there are more Taurus cars sold than Mustang and/or Focus, and yet they get all sorts of both performance and appearance goodies and we get none. Is the Taurus the proverbial "belly-button car"? (Everyone has one!) [/rant]

Well I agree. It is fun to have a stock looking slow car be pretty quick!!

It isn't as bad as you would think, but there sure is a lot of wire splicing. I guess if you're going from OBD-II to OBD-II it's not as bad. Think about swapping a 2013 SHO motor into a 2008-2009 SLO. Pretty much 99% impossible. You need to take basically the entire electronics network and swap it over with the car. Every module has to be upgraded and thats impossible. So ... it's virtually impossible, even with the Ford VCM2 and IDS. It's wayyyy easier to swap a 2010-2012 SHO motor to a 2008-2009 SLO. Still not easy though..

Easy. They had installed an aftermarket air or fluid cooler up front, albeit not taking into account that the front clip doesn't fit over it any longer. :P

Shortsighted, lazy, or maybe just plain stupid... take your pick.

I think thats a true fact...but they like the look, don't deny it!

Edited by breeves002

OBDII to OBDII is very vague.

Both a Honda and a Ford can be OBDII, but it will not swap without @#[email protected] loads of splicing.

And it's not just wiring.

Engines now-a-days are not just engines. They are environments.

Engine "environments" include everything from the PCM, the motor, fuel lines, fuel pump, transmission, all the sensors, gauges, and security system. They all have to talk, and work together, for it to work.

You cannot just swap an engine into something and splice a few wires. You have to do everything that makes that engine run. Crate motors are useless in modern cars unless it's designed for that car. If you're going to do a motor swap, you need a full donor car, end of story.

If you were to assemble an engine environment from a car into any other car, it would work. In fact, you could assemble that environment outside of a car and it will work. As long as you have every last stinking component.

OBDII to OBDII is very vague.

Both a Honda and a Ford can be OBDII, but it will not swap without @#[email protected] loads of splicing.

And it's not just wiring.

Engines now-a-days are not just engines. They are environments.

Engine "environments" include everything from the PCM, the motor, fuel lines, fuel pump, transmission, all the sensors, gauges, and security system. They all have to talk, and work together, for it to work.

You cannot just swap an engine into something and splice a few wires. You have to do everything that makes that engine run. Crate motors are useless in modern cars unless it's designed for that car. If you're going to do a motor swap, you need a full donor car, end of story.

If you were to assemble an engine environment from a car into any other car, it would work. In fact, you could assemble that environment outside of a car and it will work. As long as you have every last stinking component.

Seems they change things each year.

My '01 for example, one year only fuel supply system. see pic.

Quite different from '00 and '02.

And the '00 has COP one year only, and one year only water pump location.

Oh well.

c-hart-

You guys are killing me with this rice stuff. Im going to ohio for a comic con. If I spot something ricey I will let ya know.

1120114_616755155023638_303570761_o.jpg

Lame. I thought you were gonna paint the 2000 blue? :ph34r:

• Like 1