Sign in to follow this  
Stocker

My Latest Acquisition

After a long and incredibly stressful car-shopping experience, I finally picked one up. It's a first in several respects, but I think it was worth going against my principles for.

However, since it's dark and I can't get any decent pictures of the outside, all you folks get for tonight is this:

CVPIgauges.jpg

I think that probably says enough ;)

Oh, and we're pretty sure it has a Traction-Lok :burnout::icon_mrgreen::icon_twisted:

Hmm... does it look something like this?

vicdad.jpg

B) Nice find. Crown Victoria P71 > Caprice 9C1, eh?

Make it white and that's pretty much it, right down to the hubcaps (which I've never liked, so if a set of dogdishes turn up the car will probably get those).

Crown Victoria P71 > Caprice 9C1, eh?

Only in the sense that the CVPIs tend to be cheaper. In fact, IIRC the old 9C1 is still faster than even today's CVPI. If only the 351W would've stuck around after '91... valvetrain gimmicks don't make up for over a liter of missing displacement.

I gave up looking at '90s Caprices and Roadmasters because everything in my price range looked like crap and/or had chewed up its 700-R4. High resale value, apparently.

same here... Might be my next ride...

$hady_J :ford:

very nice, I wish I was car shopping, because there are several nice CVs in my area. And with all the issues i've been having with my lesabre, it would be nice to get a solid car that has been and will be around for awhile.

Pictures:

95CVPI.jpg

95CVPIfront.jpg

95CVPIrearqtr.jpg

95CVPIfrontseats.jpg

Tapeless radio:

95CVPIcenterdash.jpg

Vinyl rear seat in case I run out of Hamm's and have to be the drunk cab:

95CVPIrearseat.jpg

Underside:

95CVPIunderside1.jpg

95CVPIunderside2.jpg

Obligatory cavernous trunk pic:

95CVPItrunk.jpg

I even got the original window sticker!

95CVPIwindowsticker.jpg

Not bad at all andy. Also very clean underneath it and the body does also.

-Alex

Not bad at all andy. Also very clean underneath it and the body does also.

Thanks. The right rear rocker and fender are rotted out but that's it. The interior leaves quite a bit to be desired, the whole thing feels dirty. I think someone had an Armor All fetish.

Outside of a good cleaning there's some stuff that I've got to fix, the horn doesn't work, it needs a new ashtray/cupholder assembly (not worth trying to clean and I think the cigarette lighter is broken anyway), I need to turn off "dark car mode" which keeps the dome light from coming on with the doors, and I need to put in at least one spotlight, but I think that might actually be all it really needs.

Miller, I've considered it. I need to find the right dogdishes though. The ones for these cars are bigger and snap on to the wheels, not the lug nuts. There's a set of '80s dogdishes with the LTD emblem on them which I might get if I can convince my dad to bid for me.

Look what I found at the junkyard today...

post-45-064878100 1285887816_thumb.jpg

I need to find a bulb for it and then figure out how to wire it in.

Nice find Andy. Maybe there is some power source behind the A pillar cover?

Nice find Andy. Maybe there is some power source behind the A pillar cover?

It occurred to me while I was driving home today that when the car was decommissioned, it's possible that they were kind enough to just snip the wire under the A-pillar cover and leave it there. If that's the case it should just be splice in and go.

I tried figuring out how the car I pulled the light from was wired but I couldn't find it after it went down the side of the dash. The "grab-the-wire-and-pull-really-hard" method just got me a few inches of wire.

Being prewired for single or dual A-pillar spotlights is part of the CVPI packaging on newer cars (98+ Interceptors); maybe the 92-97 bodied cars are similar? Or hopefully it was at least a fleet option back then.

I know it had the wiring, since it originally came with dual spotlights (well, it was ordered with provisions for dual spotlights, I assume they installed at least one if they ordered it that way). It's a matter of whether or not they left the wiring when it was removed.

Does the A-pillar trim come off easily?

What is the option "Radio Suppression" for $70.00 listed on the window sticker????

Does the A-pillar trim come off easily?

Without the spotlight there, yes.

What is the option "Radio Suppression" for $70.00 listed on the window sticker????

I assume it's to reduce/eliminate the radio interference that comes from accessories like the windshield wipers or power windows (normally, if you have, say, a CB in the car and turn the wipers on, you'll hear the wiper motor through the CB speaker).

Was it a detectives car? I ask 'cuz I don't see where there was a door sticker or anything. and like someone else said the hubcaps don't look like a patrol car to me.

Was it a detectives car? I ask 'cuz I don't see where there was a door sticker or anything. and like someone else said the hubcaps don't look like a patrol car to me.

I don't know... they did special-order the bench seat instead of buckets so it's a possibility. All I know is that it was car #3 for the Fairmont Police Department and then it was a courtesy car for the municipal airport there. It did have insignia on the doors, the remnants just don't show in the picture.

The hubcaps are the ones that usually came on fleet CVs in the '90s.

Got it installed. The factory wiring was right there behind the A-pillar trim.

Spotlightinstalled1.jpg

Spotlightinstalled2.jpg

Next mod will probably be to convert the idiot pointer for the oil pressure into a functioning gauge. Apparently they still had the resistor on the back of the cluster through '96 so it shouldn't be more than a new sender (provided I can use the alternate port on the bottom of the filter adapter instead of the normal one wedged between the power steering pump, oil filter, and oil cooler lines) and a wire to bypass the resistor. I just need to figure out why it's acting up right now... it'll read either just below 1/2 or around 1/4, and it's completely random as to when it does it. It shouldn't move at all, and I've verified that it is hooked up to the 5 psi pressure switch. I'm assuming it's just the connector on the switch, which is apparently known to be iffy.

Are you on Crownvic.net?

Nope, not yet anyway.

Miller, I've considered it. I need to find the right dogdishes though. The ones for these cars are bigger and snap on to the wheels, not the lug nuts. There's a set of '80s dogdishes with the LTD emblem on them which I might get if I can convince my dad to bid for me.

You need to see if you have dog dish rims. Many of the rims don't have the bumps needed to hold the dog dishes on. My '88 had them, but I don't think my '90 did. The '90 had the full covers like you have.

After I crashed my '88 (hit a deer), I sold it to a guy who took the powertrain out. I hope to find him and maybe get the rims for my Aerostar. I still have the dog dishes in the basement.