thesavo

How To: Removing Gem, Fuse Panel, Sjb

- Here is the Guide I posted on TCCA. Enjoy.

Ok everyone. Here is a guide that I wish I had 2 days ago in removing the Fuse panel and GEM. Mine is a 2003 Taurus SES. But this should be similar if not the same for all 4th Generation.

You will have to remove the entire Fuse panel assembly to get the GEM out. The GEM is very simply attached to the fuse panel on the back. Friction holds it in the rest of the way.

NOTE: IF you have Adjustable peddles it would be a good idea now to move them as far from the firewall as possible.

This wasn't entirely difficult. I made it more so by attempting this at night. And I didn't remove the knee bolster first.

Move your vehicle where it won't bother any one. Because there is no moving the vehicle once this is out.

You will need

6, 8, 10MM, socket

• Remove the knee bolster. 8MM socket
  • Remove the metal bar that the knee bolster attaches to. This also is the mounting point for the ODBII connector. 8MM socket
  • Remove the ODBII Connector. Let dandle, or move aside. 6MM socket
  • Remove the 3 bottom harness connectors for GEM. They snap right out.
  • Remove the bottom Main harness. 8MM socket. This takes patience. You will loose it. Periodically check that you did not reverse the ratchet. That happened to me very frequently. Give the connector a hard-gentle (oxy moron) tug. IT won't just "fall" out of the block. When I does, move it aside.
  • Repeat for next connector.
  • Third and topmost main harness connector it the worst. Everything is in the way. Move it all away. This needs more than a gentle tug. And you need pleanty of room.
    There is a Christmas tree pin(think door panel)taped to the previous harness. That is attached to this connector. Use of a panel removal too is helpful if you can get it in there. I couldn't. I had to wedge my fingers behind it and pry it out. Get all the harnesses (harnii) out of your way You may have to remove the top of the connector. Practice on the lower connect, with plenty of room FIRST. That bolt, that holds the connector in is NOT going to be in the way.
  • Remove the 2 Nuts on the left and right side of the fuse panel. 10MM socket
  • Now you will need all those harnii out of the way. the fuse panel rotates up then needs a hard tug to come free. KEEP YOUR PATIENCE. Think of an ANALOG CLOCK. the bottom of the fuse fuse panel is @ 6'OClock Pos. You will be moving it to the 4:30, or 4'oClock Pos. Then pull hard, and wiggle left and right. It should suddenly Jerk forward.

The bracket will stay in the vehicle. But see where where rotate up is for.

This is what you will be working against.

There you have it.

To separate the GEM from the SJB. Remove the one hex screw. And the GEM come strait up off the box. There are pins on the back to electronically join the two. Be careful

post-135-037149200 1283305060_thumb.jpg

- Here is the Guide I posted on TCCA. Enjoy.

Ok everyone. Here is a guide that I wish I had 2 days ago in removing the Fuse panel and GEM. Mine is a 2003 Taurus SES. But this should be similar if not the same for all 4th Generation.

You will have to remove the entire Fuse panel assembly to get the GEM out. The GEM is very simply attached to the fuse panel on the back. Friction holds it in the rest of the way.

NOTE: IF you have Adjustable peddles it would be a good idea now to move them as far from the firewall as possible.

This wasn't entirely difficult. I made it more so by attempting this at night. And I didn't remove the knee bolster first.

Move your vehicle where it won't bother any one. Because there is no moving the vehicle once this is out.

You will need

6, 8, 10MM, socket

• Remove the knee bolster. 8MM socket
  • Remove the metal bar that the knee bolster attaches to. This also is the mounting point for the ODBII connector. 8MM socket
  • Remove the ODBII Connector. Let dandle, or move aside. 6MM socket
  • Remove the 3 bottom harness connectors for GEM. They snap right out.
  • Remove the bottom Main harness. 8MM socket. This takes patience. You will loose it. Periodically check that you did not reverse the ratchet. That happened to me very frequently. Give the connector a hard-gentle (oxy moron) tug. IT won't just "fall" out of the block. When I does, move it aside.
  • Repeat for next connector.
  • Third and topmost main harness connector it the worst. Everything is in the way. Move it all away. This needs more than a gentle tug. And you need pleanty of room.
    There is a Christmas tree pin(think door panel)taped to the previous harness. That is attached to this connector. Use of a panel removal too is helpful if you can get it in there. I couldn't. I had to wedge my fingers behind it and pry it out. Get all the harnesses (harnii) out of your way You may have to remove the top of the connector. Practice on the lower connect, with plenty of room FIRST. That bolt, that holds the connector in is NOT going to be in the way.
  • Remove the 2 Nuts on the left and right side of the fuse panel. 10MM socket
  • Now you will need all those harnii out of the way. the fuse panel rotates up then needs a hard tug to come free. KEEP YOUR PATIENCE. Think of an ANALOG CLOCK. the bottom of the fuse fuse panel is @ 6'OClock Pos. You will be moving it to the 4:30, or 4'oClock Pos. Then pull hard, and wiggle left and right. It should suddenly Jerk forward.

The bracket will stay in the vehicle. But see where where rotate up is for.

This is what you will be working against.

There you have it.

To separate the GEM from the SJB. Remove the one hex screw. And the GEM come strait up off the box. There are pins on the back to electronically join the two. Be careful

Thanks for the info. I bought a "High" GEM to add RKE to my 03 SE Fleet. It didn't look correct till I saw the photo you posted. Now I just have to get it installed!

Norm

Welcome, Norm! How bout making an intro thread and telling us about about yourself and your ride :tsoc:

Hey norm. I am glad one of my guides helped you. Please make an into thread and tell us about your self. Also, I want to take this opportunity to state that if more pictures are necessary for a better understanding, Please PM me right away and ask for them.