Sign in to follow this  
REDTRUCKCHASER

Poor Man'S Headlamp Restoration

http://www.napaonlin...1750_0006394595

I tried this today and it worked pretty well. Comes with a disc holder that fits on your drill. Stick the pad on the holder, moisten it and whirl away!

Of course, it's not near the quality that Michakaveli did on Nick's car, but still, for $10 it's not bad.

I didn't take any before pics, but mine's a 2003 and were as bad a the ones on Nick's car. I think if I had a better drill it might have done better, but mine's old and slow... kinda like me ! :blush:

looks good!!! tell ya what ive been doing: AFTER AFTER AFTER washing the car, and all the dirt and whatnot is off the ehadlights, we have this foaming window cleaner at the shop. cant remember what tis called but it foams. i spray a good amount on the hadlights and let it sit for a minute or two then simply wipe off. there is a noticeable difference! i detailed my moms Olds Alero for mothers day the other year and it made one hell of a difference. even had my dad asking me what the hell i did hahaha. ive been doing this on my car for a while now, and if anything, it has certainly delayed teh process of the yellowing

Over at the bus company, the detailers use either Invisible Glass or Spray Way window cleaner. Both are good foamers that really get dirt off. I'll take your suggestion and use some the next wash time on the headlamps. Beats paying $115 each for completely new head lamp assemblies just to get new lenses.

I just used toothpaste, even after one coat they were 75% better. I only needed two coats for it to look new again. After that just use UV sealer and they wont Yellow again. I still need to do that though.

Anyway those headlights look great! B)

Edited by Chris F.

For the price you paid, those headlights look brand new in the pics!

Over at the bus company, the detailers use either Invisible Glass or Spray Way window cleaner. Both are good foamers that really get dirt off. I'll take your suggestion and use some the next wash time on the headlamps. Beats paying $115 each for completely new head lamp assemblies just to get new lenses.

just make damn sure that the headlights have nothing on them when you do that otherwise you will scratch them up. trust me,. i made that mistake already lol.

i believe spray way is what i use at the shop

wow looks good and for only 10 bucks!

Edited by Kyle's 03 SES

I used the 3M kit and you can catch it on sale for just a couple of bucks more most of the time...

$14.16 at Amazon

I had good results...

Before

IMG_0010.jpg

After

IMG_0920.jpg

wow that did a hell of a job. very nice!

UV SEALER.

Is this a wax, paint, or something else?

TOOTHPASTE.

What kind? Did you apply by hand? With water? With a pad?

More info please! This would probably be the cheapest of all mods since it is something that all of us already have.

ObamaUniversalDental.png

Dang Sandy!!! Nice work! :) Those look GREAT! Heck yours weren't even that bad to begin with.

UV SEALER.

Is this a wax, paint, or something else?

TOOTHPASTE.

What kind? Did you apply by hand? With water? With a pad?

More info please! This would probably be the cheapest of all mods since it is something that all of us already have.

ObamaUniversalDental.png

For the Toothpaste anything will work, but the ones with whitening power work better because they are more abrasive, or so I've been told. Just rub it in with a cloth (I used a microfiber cloth) until u cant see the toothpaste, then wipe it off with a wet paper towel. I did more then one coat, so you have to wait for it to dry in between coats.

And for the UV sealer, Helmsman Spar Urethane works well. You can find it in walmart and home repair stores for around $7 for 11.5 Oz. However You can skip the UV sealer and Just use tooth paste every 5-6 months to keep them looking new.

Heres where I learned this from: http://www.ehow.com/how_4882884_clean-oxidized-plastic-headlights.html However this doesn't include instructions for the UV sealer.

Heres one with the UV sealer (Uses The wet-sanding technique instead of toothpaste, but same concept) http://www.ehow.com/how_2242304_remove-oxidation-oxidized-plastic-headlights.html

-Chris

Amazing isn't it?

I used the Mcguiars on my 93, did the headlights, turn signals and even the inside courtesy lights.

Now the headlights are a white light and I can actually see them on the road.

The kit has a really nice pad, I used it for removing the glue of the old police decals off the car.

I still need to rub it all out as you can see the image when the sun is just right.

Hopefully I'll get to that this weekend, still doing some minor bodywork (door dings, visa bar holes, belt buckle gouges)

I used the 3M kit and you can catch it on sale for just a couple of bucks more most of the time...

$14.16 at Amazon

I had good results...

+1 on the 3M.

Edited by double--negative