Robert

Power Antenna Wiring?

I got a power antenna out of a 97 SHO. I have no factory radio wires in the back so it all needs hooked up manually. I was hoping someone can tell me what wires do what.

4 wires

Black - Ground

Pink (or faded red) - ?

Green - ?

Red/ Black - ?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

i am guessing one is up one is down and the other tells it where it is located. note sure though. i will need the info for a factory type install soon though...

Wiring colors:

Dark Green = Hot at all times

Red/Black = Hot in Start position only

Red/Pink (Or Org/Lt Blue) = The signal from RCU to make the antenna erect

Black is indeed Ground.

Thank you very much kind sir! Now I need you to figure out how to adjust a digital odometer for me :ph34r:

Change the mileage?

Yeah. When I changed my faces to the ones from shosource I really screwed up my fuel gauge hence the check engine light. And I ended up not liking the faces and they had a fault by not letting the fuel and temp needle light up properly so I wanted to go back to stock but also needed the fuel gauge fixed to get rid of the check engine light and found a cluster today out of a taxi but it has around 182,000 on it where I only have about 103,000. I'm keeping track of mileage for now...........just hoping I find a solution................................

I believe you would need a Ford WDS tool to do that. Maybe you can try to bring both clusters to the dealership, and explain it. maybe they will do it?

They should see the VIN Programmed into your original cluster...

FYI...you'll probably want the mounting bracket for the power antenna from a wagon, as the location for the stud will be higher up and be on a more flush surface. The sedan G3 one kinda/sorta works, but the stud sticks out on a crease in the metal. The upper rubber mount part from a wagon also works better on the G4 sedan, sits a bit more flush against the body. You can swap the parts between antennas, as the physical motor, etc never changed.

And IIRC, there's a guy that does digital odometer corrects on the internet. http://www.instrumentclusters.com/ Check those guys out. Pretty popular with GM crowd from reading on the net, wonder if they do the G4.5 clusters...

Dealers can't change mileage on an existing cluster (I should clarify that- maybe they're able to with a WDS, but it's almost a certainty that they won't do it). You might have to bite the bullet and have them replace the cluster board, or use one from a donor car (I have one from an '07 SEL if you're still interested- no clue what the mileage is, though :mellow:) and live with the fact that the mileage displayed will probably be significantly off from the actual number. That's really only a problem if you tried to say on the bill of sale documents that the car's indicated mileage is accurate when it becomes time to sell it. :ph34r:That's a crime.

Already installed the antenna and see what you mean. I'll look for those parts next time to help it fit a tad better. I now have a 1/4" scratch on the body panel from the needle nose slipping while tightening it. I'm pretty pissed off right now because of it. Duplicolor doesn't make diver frost pens do they? I'll check out that guy and see if I have any luck......

On the bright side, if you have a cluster that says 185k miles, you can easily rack it up more, and just be like, "See how reliable the Taurus is?! 200k miles, and still running like brand new!" :P

I've got a Dupli-Color touch-up pen that I carry with the toolkit in my trunk. Check out Vato-Zone, Advance, O'Reilly's... whatever place is local for you. :)

wow i was way off... haha

That's a good guess though :)

It's sure as hell better than a Lexus Power Antenna Circuit....

They seem to have wires, modules, and relays for no reason just to operate a power antenna...

I didn't use the red(pink) wire. I grounded the black, hooked the green to a constant in the trunk, and ran a remote wire from my radio to the red/black since my radio is a little different then some I'm used to. It only powers the antenna while you are listening to the radio. If you switch to a CD or iPod it turns off the antenna which most radios don't, they're usually just a constant while the head unit is on

Yeah Hot in Start is supposed to stop the power antenna. Because in theory, If you turned a car on, the antenna would start to get erect, turn it to start, it would lose power from the radio, and begin to go down, then go back up when the car starts and key is returned back to on. The RCU plugs should all be there still in your car, so Hot in Run should be there. I'd hook it up unless your Head Unit is good about that.

Edited by TaurusKev

I'll watch it tomorrow and see if I notice that. I didn't think about that till now but don't recall it doing that. I'll have to lookl