Sign in to follow this  
TaurusKev

Howto: Installing Power Adjustable Pedals

This is fairly simple in theory, but only hard part is when you have wires up the ass under your dash for: Alarm/Remote Starter, PATS Bypass, Custom EATC, Subwoofer in trunk, etc etc.

Basically, it is a direct swap, 13mm sockets for everything, I recommend having a deep well, and a ton of extension bars to get around it.

Removal of pedals: Take off the lower dash trim (2 8mm bolts, then yank off)
Take pin off brake pedal going to master cylinder (You'll see a rod with a yellow pin) Note how the brake switch is wired in on the car to install.
Take off the cable linkage to accelerator: Protip - Put a wrench in the throttle to hold it half way open to get more cable leverage inside, There's a little clip that holds it in.
Unbolt the assembly. Power pedals is one solid assembly, old fashion is two, one brake, one accelerator.
There are two bolts directly above the pedals, and 4 nuts holding at the brake pedal, 2 at the accelerator.
To make my life easier, I unbolted the steering column to the rack, and took the U-joint out, and set it aside so I had more space to work.
To remove current brake pedal switch: You MUST get to the tabs on the back side, without taking the dash apart, just get a long screwdriver and do it from underneath with the lower dash cover off.

Slide out the pedals, undo the brake switch (There are two, one should be part of the rod going to the brake cylinder, one above, a nice bright green switch, that twists out.

Installation:
Slide the assembly into the spot where the old pedals were, and bolt in. Attach the brake pedal to the brake cylinder, installing the switch as it was removed. Install the green switch by inserting and twisting in, zip tie the wiring so it will not be in the way.
Attach throttle linkage
Now the fun part! Wiring!

This part is very simple for Gen4.5's, and written for 4.5's with the switch on the instrument cluster panel.

When harvesting, cut as much harness as possible from your donor car.
There are 7 total wires
3 Blacks - Ground - Find a ground anywhere.
1 Blue/White - Interior Light circuit, tap in behind your light switch.
1 Red wire - 12V+ In, I tapped into my ignition switch for power.
1 Pink Black
1 Blue/Red

There are two wires on your pedal assembly: Pink/Black, and Blue/Red. attach these two to the switch.

Once all that is done, installation is complete.

Older Gen4's are similar with the switch in the seat, except no interior light circuit.

Side by side comparison:
IMG00053-20100816-1929.jpg

Wiring Diagram: (Early Gen4.0, No Blue/White interior light)
diagram.png

Pin at brake pedal to remove, and part of the steering shaft to remove:
P8171219.jpg

Finished assembly:

P8171217.jpg

Where switch goes:
IMG00056-20100816-2116.jpg

Why do power pedals?

Long roadtrips, it feels great to be able to adjust the seat around, but also move the pedals around to prevent fatigue. And, if you are shorter, you can sit a bit further away from the wheel. I am not shorter, but I prefer it for the fatigue thing.

• Like 1

How much did the pedals and wiring harness run at your yard?

And interesting find I had before. My gauge trim has the hole where the button would be but has a pop in cover over it. But it actually has wiring there with a plug. Did yours?

How much did the pedals and wiring harness run at your yard?

That was about $30 - $35 total where we went. ;)

And interesting find I had before. My gauge trim has the hole where the button would be but has a pop in cover over it. But it actually has wiring there with a plug. Did yours?

I actually did not check, I kinda just ran the new harness at night. I didn't see traces of any harness there though.

And yes, roughly 30/35. I convinced the yard not to charge me for the multiple items (Bought this, and a Gen4.5 DRL-less SJB, that I already have a buyer for) for $70.

If it did you couldn't miss is. The cover is actualy plugged onto the harness... Hmmm. Finally something could be plug and play in my fleet? :huh:

Haha. I have a pic from my led install. The plug stick up plugs into the cap on my dash.

b7aa22a3.jpg

Maybe? Check by the pedals on the brake wiring harness, see if you see a light blue and pink/black wire unused harness. If you have that.... You're ready for Adjustable pedals ;)

Wow. That's MUCH nicer than retrofitting a Vic.

The power brake booster is actually different on a Vic until mid 2001. After that, it's pretty straightforward, but still not quite as simple.

Tim

Wow. That's MUCH nicer than retrofitting a Vic.

The power brake booster is actually different on a Vic until mid 2001. After that, it's pretty straightforward, but still not quite as simple.

Tim

I think I read that before from some forum, same with the EATC. So far both EATC and Power pedals are easier on a Taurus than a Vic. Good to know :)

I think I read the whole dash has to come out to install EATC on a Vic, or perhaps it's easier that way. Which would have been true for both these mods, but I was not in the mood to tear apart my dash. I think next year I may do it, just to rewire some things nicer.

Clean wiring you can't see loses it's unique touch of personality Kevin.

And also reduces risk of fire, giggling, smoke, AIDS, and yellow fever.

Clean wiring you can't see loses it's unique touch of personality Kevin.

And also reduces risk of fire, giggling, smoke, AIDS, and yellow fever.

:lol:

Maybe? Check by the pedals on the brake wiring harness, see if you see a light blue and pink/black wire unused harness. If you have that.... You're ready for Adjustable pedals ;)

The plug for the switch is definitely there, waiting to be used. :D That's the same plug we got from my donor car's IP wiring harness.

Very nice writeup Kevin. Wow it really isn't that bad of an install then. SWEET!

I've salvaged a couple of power pedal buttons from pull a part with harnesses for the future incase I ever needed them. heck there's an 03 sable at the yard right now....looks like I need to make a pit stop this weekend and grab the pedals too. I have the power pedals in my car already but with the 03's switch up on the dash, i can harvest as much wiring as possible.

I love that feature though. Heck I adjust depending on what shoes I'm wearing (work shoes, sneakers or sandals).

Took a look today and sadly I have mo extra wires around the brake pedal. Now I have to find out where the wires from the wiring harness run to. I think this is now on my to do list though. Good work Kevin!

Took a look today and sadly I have mo extra wires around the brake pedal. Now I have to find out where the wires from the wiring harness run to. I think this is now on my to do list though. Good work Kevin!

If you want and have time at a junkyard, the second half of the harness (From dashboard to brake pedal) it's either in the big ass brown bonding brick, or gray brick. Rip them harnesses apart and look for them. I just cut them and spliced them, I suppose in your case, you might be able to just cut the two outputs, and just run the wires to the adjusting motor.

I don't have too much patience trying to trace out two wires when I can just splice it. :)

LoL. Heading to my yard this weekend so I'll see what I find. Nick has me really wanting these now since I often wear sandals sometimes and it's definately different to drive with them compared to shoes.

That could be my OCD lol But seriously, I know some folks don't care for them, but to me, they not only a safety feature (keeps me a bit further back from the air bag) but also a convenience/comfort one too. Heck the option when new was like $120 bucks or something lol If you don't like them, adjust to the position furthest away from you and that's the stock position or so.

I wish the dead pedal was adjustable. That fkr pretty much causes me to sit back a little further than I should to get my legs comfortable. Then I have to match the gas pedal to about the same point as the dead pedal so it doesn't feel too asymmetrical.

I wish the dead pedal was adjustable. That fkr pretty much causes me to sit back a little further than I should to get my legs comfortable. Then I have to match the gas pedal to about the same point as the dead pedal so it doesn't feel too asymmetrical.

Pull back the carpet, you can unbolt it and "customize" it to your liking. Another thing I'd like to do someday, cause I do agree that at least for my body build (or lack thereof, lol ) it's not quite at the right angle.

Added to my to do list ^_^

On a Gen 2?? :blink: That'll be interesting.

Pull back the carpet, you can unbolt it and "customize" it to your liking. Another thing I'd like to do someday, cause I do agree that at least for my body build (or lack thereof, lol ) it's not quite at the right angle.

Wouldn't it be out of place with the carpet? Meaning like u put your foot on it and it would push the carpet back, until u hit the pedal.

Wouldn't it be out of place with the carpet? Meaning like u put your foot on it and it would push the carpet back, until u hit the pedal.

Yea, I guess if you change or reshape/shave the plastic dead pedal underneat, the carpet won't be molded correctly. Good point. Might have to make some incisions in your carpet to make it properly sit flat.

th_IMG_3134.jpg

You can kinda see how it's mounted there.

On a Gen 2?? :blink: That'll be interesting.

The pedals certainly didn't change (well the assembly/setup, the physical design did a bit on the gas). I'll be interested in seeing how it turns out :)