OK so while doing my ball joint i pulled the brakes off on the driver side to find out they are almost gone already! some of you may remember me putting these on only about 10k miles ago? anyway here are a couple pics of the damage:

brakes1.jpg

brakes2.jpg

brakes3.jpg

brakes4.jpg

the pad on the right is the inner pad the pad on the left in the outer. the rotor is very pitted on the back side. now the pads are ceramic and the rotors i got used but looked to be in good condition except for some (what i thought at the time) surface rust. slide pins where new and well greased and stile slide just fine by hand no binding. calipers are original though but had no problems getting them to retract at the time.

i did not pull the passenger side apart yet but did see that the pads are worn the same on that side. did not check the rotor yet.

so obviously i need new brakes... but i really dont know what i should go with? i dont know if i should stick with slotted rotors or if i shouldn't trust them? i do love the look of them... i had really bad braking power with these. any body got any suggestions for good stopping power and longevity? I am on a pretty tight budget with school starting i still have to buy some books... but this absolutely needs to get done!

Thanks for any suggestions guys!!

the rust almost look so bad that even turning them down will not be enough... the rotors will be too thin after cutting through the rust.

I'd replace the rotors with some premium blanks, clean and re-grease the slider pins, and install new pads.

ok the car got some new blank rotors today and pads and i put some fresh grease on the sliders but i also need new calipers i found out... they work exactly the same as before... i will be getting better pads in a few months after i can justify buying another set...

tehy passenger side was even worse the pad material was almost gone the little rivet that hods the little spring on was making contact with the rotor

Edited by Vash

well i was hoping for an improvement in braking performance... i remember when i got the car i could lock up the wheels on dry pavement and get the abs to kick on and it wont do that now after the rear disc swap and the larger front brakes...

Edited by Vash

I'll let you know... I love my slotted/drilled rotors! I put Baer Rotors paired with Hawk HPS pads and the braking is 100% better (along with the 11.6" upgrade). If you want some superior braking, I'd suggest my set-up. I've had this setup since the beginning of the year, too.

Edited by firespirit

yeah every one is saying hawk pads and i think i may get some fairly soon. i already have new rotors so i am not spending a bunch more for them... it is crazy how much braking power went down though i was so dissapointed after i did all the work trying to make them better and then they were worse anyway...

well i was hoping for an improvement in braking performance... i remember when i got the car i could lock up the wheels on dry pavement and get the abs to kick on and it wont do that now after the rear disc swap and the larger front brakes...

Did you hose down both side of the new rotors with brake cleaner before installing them? Did you bed the new pads?

yeah i was very thorough cleaning them. its not so much that i cant get them to lock up but i can tell a difference in braking power under pretty much any circumstance. i just use that as a way to describe it i guess... driving our 07 and then driving my sable you can really tell a differance... even my contour stops better...

The pads may not have bedded in completely. The may need some time to transfer more pad material to the rotor. Drive normally for a week, the take it out some place where you can safely perform a panic stop. But it could be the type of pads too.