Ordering New Rear Suspension Friday, Help Decide.

So searching, searching, and searching has led me to the fact that there is no actual permanent fix for SAS in the long run. And the assumed to be best affordable option is Gen 1/2 rear Moog springs and KYB-GR2 struts. Although I didn't know and haven't seen anybody with these (My link) Has anyone used KYB quick struts? I didn't know they made them, thought Monroe was the only one. Only thing is I can't find any info about the KYB coil rates nor can I even find KYB coils for the Taurus. So does anyone know about these? I'd love the quick struts just so I don't have to rent a spring compressor and mess with that but if I have to I will. So if anybody knows about the KYB quickstruts let me know and if not does my shopping list look right?

Help me out guys and I'll be ordering this Friday and making a complete picture how to for the rear suspension in the process once I get them.

There was one or two folks on TCCA that used KYB StrutPlus. No complaints from them from what they said.

I thought TaurusAndMarauder on TCCA said the front spring rates were what differentiated between a G3/4, whereas the rear spring rates were identical. There was some thread about that....

I'll go search over at that one place then. I though the Gen 3s were 10-20lbs stiffer of a rate. Sounds like I might just go with the Moog springs.

Nick has it right- the fronts are different in Gen 3 and Gen 4, but the rears were the same. CC859 rear springs are a good choice, that'll jack up the ass-end of your car really well.

Guess I'm doing the moog springs then. Will I need anything else besides the strut mounts? Bolts and what not? Anything else I should replace while I have the rear torn apart?

The hardware should be fine. Your car has roughly the same age and regional history as mine, and the hardware for my struts/springs was all reusable.

Yes, replace the drum brakes with discs. :ph34r:

Damn you. I knew that last part was coming as soon as I saw you posted. Lol.

Damn you. I knew that last part was coming as soon as I saw you posted. Lol.

Ask an obvious question and...^_^

Oh, you must add a rear swaybar. Aftermarket struts will automatically have the mounting ear for an endlink.

So where can I aqquire a rear sway bar for reasonably on the cheaper side?

So where can I aqquire a rear sway bar for reasonably on the cheaper side?

At a junkyard. ;)

:P

Look for a SHO if you can find one. The early Gen 4 sedan had a 19mm rear bar stock; SHO sedans came in a variety of thicknesses over the years, from 19mm up to 26mm. Personally, I'd recommend a 22 or 23 for the rear- it balances the handling very nicely with the 20.6mm front bar that you already have.

Guess I'll make a trip to the yard Saturday. What do I actually measure for the length? Not too familiar in real life with sway bars.

Guess I'll make a trip to the yard Saturday. What do I actually measure for the length? Not too familiar in real life with sway bars.

It's actually the diameter of the bar. Pick a spot somewhere in the middle and measure the thickness of the bar with calipers or some similar tool. :)

Alright. Oh, and for mounting it to the new struts. Bushings, bolts or anything?

Alright. Oh, and for mounting it to the new struts. Bushings, bolts or anything?

Brackets, bolts and the bar itself. You should buy new endlinks and bushings.

a 92 MTX SHO is guarenteed to have a 23mm rear sway bar (these have the Gen 1 center console and non-illuminating clock. That's what I have on the rear of my car. Or you could get the 24/26 combination (front/rear) from a Gen 1 SHO). That'll stiffen the ride up.

Guess I'll see what I find. Wish it wasn't going to be in the 90's this weekend. :(

Ordering tonight so if some want to change anything or add something you have a few hours. Ordering the kyb struts and moog springs from rockauto.

I really would like to order from you guys but its a REALLY BIG price difference :( I checked you guys first.....

But I may be ordering a rear sway bar from you guys atleast in the future..

will the gen 2 springs work on a G4? i want to go with the stiffest possible...sorry for hijacking ur post...i was considering doinf the moog setup cutting a dead spring in the front to drop it .5 inch then doing a rear strut tab mod to raise up the rear to give it a nice rake B)

User Vashthestanbeto has this setup on his.....coils atleast. Think is has nicer struts though