Sign in to follow this  
Spridget

2016 Lincoln MKS

Hi y’all,

I replaced my 2014 Mercedes C250 with a 2016 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost last week. This was the result of being rear ended by an F250 towing a bass boat.

The Lincoln MKS is a fat bloated waste of space. Terrible storage and poor ergonomics. Overall features are nice, but lack intuitive controls.

Knowing all that, I needed a safe replacement to haul my kid around, anything that wasn’t Mercedes level of ownership costs, and something I can tinker with. Enter the MKSHO!

20 years separate my ‘96 SHO and ‘16 MKS, and yet they are the same damn car. JBL stereo - THX stereo. 4 wheel active suspension (SARC) - adaptive ride control. Even the driver’s trunk release buttons are in the same spot. Now they even share Borla cat back exhausts (Ford Performance).

A819B399-3EA6-4A19-A4BB-37A5650D05FA.jpeg

3AE0774B-9A45-4575-8C8A-4A3575754DF8.jpeg

Edited by Spridget
  • Like 1

Very happy with the Borla cat back kit. Very nice fit for a multi-piece system. It’s a little tight next to the rear diff, but I haven’t heard any bumps or rattles from inside. The stock exhaust has a small relief or indentation at the diff for clearance, but the entire length of the Borla kit is mandrel bent and perfectly round. I have not seen competing kits to compare, but I would be surprised if the quality is even close to Borla.

Sound is very well controlled in the cabin. It’s maybe a decibel louder than stock. Very quiet overall. Noticeably “not stock” at start up. At WOT, there is definitely more bark. Sound is projected behind the car. Around 40mph, light load, there’s a very low tone, almost a “drone”. Cruising is silent. V6s rarely sound amazing, and this is no exception, however, the sound is pleasant, aggressive, clean and mellow.

I installed a tow hitch today, CURT brand. Simple install, made even easier by the Borla mufflers. Fits great. I’m not done with the light adapter wiring. The kit, also from CURT, wants me to run a dedicated 10A rated power wire from the battery to the trunk. Uh, I’m thinking there’s plenty of power somewhere in the trunk. I’m only connecting a small trailer, with full LED lighting, that might pull 2 amps. 

D0E6F2FF-B08A-4B09-8CB7-A82FB9B8EA28.jpeg

Edited by Spridget

I tapped a power lead to the amp. Grey/red gets power at all times and runs to a 20A fuse. I used the 10A fuse supplied with the kit as well. Works great.

27367472-7084-4A68-B4F2-7B73F5B76646.jpeg

FF0862C3-4B62-47DB-976D-BFC0B86B0A68.jpeg

4D00A578-EC47-4CBC-AC65-E76EF0A1E945.jpeg

94ED6426-6530-4894-8D02-0DEE536F39AC.jpeg

Edited by Spridget

Familiarizing myself with the EcoBoost engine bay today. I noticed this air intake inlet is kinda small. The inlet is sealed from the engine bay and draws fresh air from the left grill. Where’s my dremel?

I’m not making any claims about performance, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ why not. I wouldn’t mind some more intake noises.

A2A4314F-F415-4868-B97A-F2B8F6330A88.jpeg

BA27759D-F4F6-4E34-AC41-6A6B6090AEDE.jpeg

and I debadged the trunk. 

468555DB-1C65-46CC-B4F5-5F8D223AEF0F.jpeg

Edited by Spridget

Installed the SHO Performance Package from Unleashed Tuning. I’ve worked with Torrie in the past, which is why I chose him over Livernois.

Installation was fairly simple. Plug swap is surprisingly easy on the EcoBoost (compared to a Duratec or 3.4L SHO). Thermostat was also straight forward. MAP sensor swap takes 15 seconds. The reprogramming process takes a few minutes using the X4 device.

I’m currently running an 87 octane tune. First impressions: throttle is remapped for better response. Shifts are about the same, maybe slightly quicker/firmer. Redline is slightly higher. Overall improvement in driving experience, but no change to fuel economy. I’ll update after I try the 93 octane tune.

Oh, and too bad I didn’t have the X4 prior to hacking the hole at the intake snorkel or I could have provided before and after results, however, the X4 reports intake temps at around 5°F above ambient. 

Edited by Spridget

Recipe for LED puddle lamps

You’ll need:
• 30-31mm LED festoon bulbs

• small pry tool, small knife, etc 

• clear silicone sealant

After removing the puddle lamps from the mirrors, bake the lamps at 200°F for 10-15 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven and gently pry the clear plastic lens from the black plastic housing. Remove the lamp and replace with the LED bulb. Test the lamps for correct polarity prior to sealing the lens. Use a small amount of silicone sealant around the rim of the lens to secure it in place. Repeat for the other side. 

394A6919-DCF6-425C-85F4-741DA71B03D3.jpeg