What Have You Done To Your Bull Lately?

16 hours ago, SoNic said:

Finally fixed the AC/heat that didn't like to have the temperature changed. The blend door actuator of course had a gear with a broken tooth (had happened in my Explorer, the same exact defect). A biatch to get to, crammed under the dash, but after one hour of surgery (mainly through the radio/ETAC  hole) I was victorious.

I'm pretty sure my Sable has the same exact issue...I don't always get the changeover to cold A/C when the summer heat comes, it just stays on heat...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you think anyone really cares??

You are an egotistical asshole. I'm not the only one on this forum that thinks this, either. Go f**k yourself...wait, you probably already do--'cause no one else would...except your butt buddy Stevi

He's the latest former Taurus owner to see the light and defect to the glory of the Panther platform

Posted Images

In my case, if I had the heat more than 68-69, then it would stay there. I would have to go all the way up 90 and then quickly back to 60 in order to cancel that residual heating, and it didn't work always. In the summer it was fine, all the time I kept it at 60. Now in my area it's colder in the morning and still might be hot enough in the afternoon to require no heat or even AC.

After removing the football (radio/AC combo), moving out the way some hoses and wires, there are six 7mm screws - four for the blender motor module and two for a vacuum module that blocks one the the previous screws and needs first to be slided off the way a couple of inches.

Edited by SoNic
  • Like 1

I've actually gotten a few things done to the vehicles, taking advantage of the warm weather...but winter is coming fast, big cool down this weekend.

2002 SE

Using a wire wheel and angle grinder I removed all the rust/bad metal off the bottom of the 2 rear doors, painted them with POR 15 and then surfaced with brush on bedliner. For the most part it was the inside of the door but one door needed a little work on the outside, I masked off a small strip and painted it bedliner over the sanded area and POR 15. You can't even see it thanks to the curvature of the door. I also touched up a few areas where the rust is poking through on the wheel arcs...buying it a few more months.

I removed and resurfaced the headlights since they were starting to pit and yellow again, they look great again. Also re aimed the headlights after reinstalling.

Just picked up the winter tires from storage tonight so they are at home and ready to be put on.

1997 SHO

Some of you may know but I got the cruise control working again after it decided not to work after the brake light switch repair. Big thanks to Nick for the shop manual, it came in handy.

Got it all washed today and picked up everything for its yearly oil change so it goes into storage with clean oil. Still need to pick up a oil analysis kit at Caterpillar.

Even with putting some longer drives on the car I was unable to put 3000 miles on the car since last winter, most of the ~2000 or so miles I put on in the last month or 2.

I've realized the rear suspension on the car is pretty much toast, it rides horrible, is extremely noisy and has pretty bad SAS considering there is no extra weight in the car. Next year I'll have to replace the SARCs with regular struts and new springs.

Welp, I fixed the blend door issue today and after 200.5xxx miles the what I suspect is the factory A/C compressor has finally died. Looking for recommendations as to what brand to get as a replacement. 

• Like 1

Painted the side LED's (the ones originally white) in my switchback LED markers/turn signals with amber epoxy paint to be compliant with VA technical inspection requirements. Paint is "Model Master 28004 Turn Signal Amber" bought from Hobby Town.

The front lensed LED's is still switching from white to amber when turn signal is activated.

Edited by SoNic

Changed the oil on Friday. Castrol GTX 5w-30 and a Motorcraft FL-400s at 168,xxx miles. Inspected the tires for wear. Lookin' good. Need to rotate sometime this week. The winter rubber needs to be up front.

3 hours ago, SoNic said:

Normally I would agree. My tires are about the same tread wear all around but that's not the issue for me.

My finances dictate I can only have two winter tires right now. Having them on the back would help prevent fishtailing in the snow, however, the front end would be lacking traction with only all seasons installed. Nothing worse than being unable to go, stop or turn because your tires can't get adequate grip in the cold white stuff. With the winter rubber up front I can maintain more control of the vehicle. As long as I don't try to make any sudden or sharp moves with the steering wheel I do alright.

Definitely not ideal but all seasons on the front just don't work when you have to drive in 3 inches of snow.

bull_work_snow_zpsszhie2wr.jpg

12 hours ago, Angrod said:

Definitely not ideal but all seasons on the front just don't work when you have to drive in 3 inches of snow.

I grew up on all seasons in CT. 6+ inches of snow and never had an issue. FWD, RWD, AWD (that last one is kinda cheating I know).

I still maintain that a good set of all seasons will take care of ~75% of the drivers that will see snow.

• Like 1

I used to live and drive in snow like that and I can tell you, you NEED four snow tires. Period.

It doesn't help that you have two good on front (so you can drive faster) when you fishtail at the first turn and and up facing the wrong way traffic. Same with the rear, you can't drive fast or steer properly, but at least you can "feel" that, is not a surprise like fishtailing.

Now I got older and smarter, moved out of "white hell". When/if I see a week of snow the whole year, my AWD Explorer can deal with that.

Edited by SoNic
On 11/21/2016 at 7:52 PM, Angrod said:

Normally I would agree. My tires are about the same tread wear all around but that's not the issue for me.

My finances dictate I can only have two winter tires right now. Having them on the back would help prevent fishtailing in the snow, however, the front end would be lacking traction with only all seasons installed. Nothing worse than being unable to go, stop or turn because your tires can't get adequate grip in the cold white stuff. With the winter rubber up front I can maintain more control of the vehicle. As long as I don't try to make any sudden or sharp moves with the steering wheel I do alright.

bull_work_snow_zpsszhie2wr.jpg

While I don't disagree snow tires help, they make a huge difference, but I've put the 2002 though 6 inches of snow with all seasons no problem. Its all about throttle application and not making stupid moves like trying to push though a deep snow drift, and avoiding hills. Obviously AWD or 4wd makes it 1000x easier but the Taurus will and can go though snow that is half a foot deep.

The Taurus is one of the best cars I have ever driven in snow, it is almost impossible to break the rear end loose and "fish tail" or drift, the car just doesn't do it, trust me I know I've tried, even lacking ABS with all 4 wheels locked up the Taurus will rarely kick its back end out (its only happened to me once and I was somewhat forcing it). Its the ice you have to watch out for, which unless your driving a car with studded tires nothing will help.

The 2002 hit a milestone the other day so I had to stop and take a moment to reflect. 150,000 miles on a little road in Oconto County WI.

I've had this car since October 2008 when it was purchased for $5000 with ~84,000 miles on it. I don't think I'll own it long enough to see 200k but the car is ready and willing to go for it.  Its also got to be one of the best condition Gen 4 cars in the NE Wisconsin area.

IMG_20161120_134225467_HDR_zpsx8kk2wzz.j.

IMG_20161120_134251656_HDR_zpsh6u5v0x0.j

• Like 1
On 11/22/2016 at 8:38 AM, SoNic said:

I used to live and drive in snow like that and I can tell you, you NEED four snow tires. Period.

It doesn't help that you have two good on front (so you can drive faster) when you fishtail at the first turn and and up facing the wrong way traffic. Same with the rear, you can't drive fast or steer properly, but at least you can "feel" that, is not a surprise like fishtailing.

Now I got older and smarter, moved out of "white hell". When/if I see a week of snow the whole year, my AWD Explorer can deal with that.

Its about knowing how to drive in it. I saw a lot of 4WD/AWD vehicles - some even with snow tires - wrecked during the Chicago blizzard before I left.

Meanwhile a RWD Thunderbird with 350HP and a trac-lok differential and some good all-season tires moves around just fine.

IMAG0042.jpg

Full disclosure: Its MUCH more difficult to drive around here in the mountains than the plains states.

Edited by machausta
21 minutes ago, machausta said:

Full disclosure: Its MUCH more difficult to drive around here in the mountains than the plains states.

True dat. I'm only in the foothills west of the Appalachians and the dynamics of driving in snow are far different than in the mid-west.

@Thub I can get the back end of my car loose real easy. Winter tires up front makes the nose of the car stick to the road like glue, even with a few inches down. The back end with all seasons is rather predictable and doesn't really get loose. However, if I intentionally and suddenly turn the wheel rather sharply the front of the car will change direction... and the back will not follow. Occasionally, when there are no other cars around I will kick the back end out to try and practice "handling" (read drifting :P) but the rear finds traction again before I can do much. Still fun though.

You can drive anything in snow so long as you drive slow. 

Having AWD/FWD/RWD won't make you stop any faster. It might make you get up to speed faster but not stop.

Snow tires are designed to help you stop faster and corner/keep grip better than all seasons which become hard as a rock in freezing temps.

I always drove my Tauruses with all seasons and the control in unpacked snow was crap. But, as long as I didn't get going too fast I never had issues.

In my 93 without ABS I learned a lot about controlling a car in snow. Several times I would start to fishtail going around a turn too fast. I learned to literally let go of the steering wheel and press on the gas. This evens out the speed the wheels are rotating and allows the car to find its centre on its own.

A lot of people would naturally step on the brake or turn the opposite direction of the slide. Those are the worst possible things to do.

With my Fusion AWD I pretty much had to get snow tires. With the stock rubber the AWD would push the car in opposing directions. Step on the gas and the front would pull left and the rear would push right. It almost made driving more difficult than my FWD Tauruses.

The snow tires have helped reduce this and I have to say I love my snow tires. Stopping distance and ABS stutter are vastly improved. 

I'll always miss being in full control of the brakes with no ABS. Sometimes you want everything to lock up if it prevents you from coasting through an intersection because the car keeps releasing the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

So I rotated the tires around today. Winter rubber is up front. All tires had good tread depth and even wear.

Also found out that for some reason my rear brake drums were loose enough to remove by hand. No backing off the adjusters or anything. The shoes are worn but everything looks alright. Doesn't explain why, a couple of years ago, I could turn the driver's rear while the brakes were applied. Hmmmm.

You should be able to remove the drum by hand.  They are only held on by the wheel being mounted.  Sounds like the shoes need to be adjusted.  Run the adjuster out until you can't move them without the brakes being applied...then back them off just enough to where you can turn them by hand without the brakes being applied. You should be good after that.  

• 2 weeks later...

In formal recognition that it's winter, put on the heavy duty wiper blades, stocked the trunk with scraper, brush, de-icer etc. Only thing I have to do is pick up some white lithiumand spray the doors..   Have also gotten out the electric blanket, gloves, scarves, winter coats. Bah Humburg. Cold weather sucks

• Like 1
13 hours ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

In formal recognition that it's winter, put on the heavy duty wiper blades, stocked the trunk with scraper, brush, de-icer etc. Only thing I have to do is pick up some white lithiumand spray the doors..   Have also gotten out the electric blanket, gloves, scarves, winter coats. Bah Humburg. Cold weather sucks

I'm sure winter appreciates the formal recognition. I used to use lock de icer on my Taurus to keep the lock mechanism from freezing up. Worked really good.

The lithium grease would just freeze up on me.

I am planning on making a home brew windshield washer fluid. I bought some special concentrate from Germany called Kristall Klar. It doesn't have freeze protection in it though. So I am going to use some methyl hydrate to keep it from freezing.

• 2 weeks later...

Planning on doing a trans pan drop and filter change, obviously I won't get all the fluid out but just wondering how many qts of merc v I should pick up? AX4S.

6 hours ago, AntDeek said:

Planning on doing a trans pan drop and filter change, obviously I won't get all the fluid out but just wondering how many qts of merc v I should pick up? AX4S.

For the 4F50N (AX4N) you need 8 quarts for a pan drop, I'm sure the "S" is about the same.

• Like 1