Devin

What Have You Done To Your Bull Lately?

I havent been on here in a while. Lets see what did to my sho is besides the racing trans I replaced that awful alternator.

Racing trans? 

WvgrwCH.jpg

Sable is almost done. Just 3 more "mods". Tint, alloy subframe bushings, and wheels. 

3 hours ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

Racing trans? 

Indeed. A junk yard trans was rebuilt will all new guts shift kit, racing clutch bands and other goodies.

• Like 1

Installed the 24/26 sway bar combo on the sable. Totally different car now. 

• Like 1

I actually put some miles on the SHO this weekend, ran up to Minocqua and back. I've put on less than 1000 miles since I unwrapped it this spring.

I forgot how nice the 3.4L handles the open road where it can stretch its legs. Comfortable cruising at 75mph and doesn't ask any questions when you ask it to make a quick sprint to triple digits. And that ZF steering at high speeds, so nice.

If the suspension and chassis weren't so noisy and creaky it would be a perfect road trip car. Cars that handle well and have the power to accelerate in the blink of an eye at highway speeds are the best for the open road.  I only encountered one other car on the trip with this prowess and since it was raining I think the driver was afraid to put its 500hp and summer tires to use.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Thub said:

Comfortable cursing at 75mph 

:censored2:

:censored2:

I fixed it.

Sent from my XT1250 using Tapatalk

Back to the shop in 2 weeks. Whiney noise from either a/c compressor or blower motor. Might as well get it fixed now. My luck it would decide to die on the way to Nick's in October making for a warm and uncomfortable drive. :crapfan:

Changed the oil last Sunday.

Hit a raccoon on the way home from work today. I was able to mostly get out of the way and only hit it with my drivers side wheels and rocker. It was a big one. If I had hit it head on I would most likely be reporting a busted rad/oil pan/transmission pan.

I feel so bad that I don't post here anymore. But my Sable Wagon (Duratec) just didn't need anything anymore for almost a year now. Just an oil change, gas and wiper fluid... I will need new tires soon probably.

That's a good commuter car, for 120 miles daily, in summer heat, 30% of distance with an average 5mph stop-and-go traffic.

So I had the front of the car up on jackstands Sunday. Checked the wheels for play and nothing. Wondering if maybe it would only happen with the wheels turning I started the car and put it in gear. Both wheels turned for about a minute and then the driver's side stopped for some reason but it still turned freely if I gave it a boost and seemed okay overall. The passenger's side kept going though. I noticed that the wheel has what I guess you could call a "wobble." By this I mean I looked at the center cap and it looked like a record on an old record player that wasn't on quite straight as the wheel turned. I also noticed this "out of round" effect by getting on eye level with the top of the tire. It would go up and down once per revolution. It's not the tread as the tire is in perfect condition. So something else is going bad.

So what do you guys think? I originally thought the problem was a wheel bearing but now I'm not so sure. Maybe the CV joint or the axle?

If you don't know what this post is about check my most recent post in my build thread.

Oil and transmission fluid were changed today on the Sable wagon. Just shy of hitting 111k miles on her now. :) 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2016 at 3:14 PM, Brian_05_SEL said:

Oil and transmission fluid were changed today on the Sable wagon. Just shy of hitting 111k miles on her now. :) 

I hope that you replaced the filters too...

4 hours ago, SoNic said:

I hope that you replaced the filters too...

Yes. 

I feel pretty bad for my 09 Sable as I've not really driven it much in a month.  Maybe 3 or 4 times in the last month.  So, I treated it to a front brake job in preparation for Nick's get together in a few weeks.  In March I did all four corners but wanted to save a little $$ and turned the front rotors well below minimum.  I was able to get by with that for a few months, but the rotors warped rather quickly and then the pads started squeaking like no tomorrow over the high spots.  I knew I'd be doing this again this year because of my being thrifty but did it anyway.  So this afternoon, I put on some brand new shiny OReilly Brakebest rotors and the Brakebest Select ceramic pads made by Morse.   I didn't want to take the risk using the old pads even though they looked like new.  They were semi metallic and dusted my front wheels pretty badly anyway which I didn't like.  I also found two hub centric rings behind my drivers rim when I removed it.  The rim wasn't even mated to the rotor surface as the second ring was keeping it pushed away.  The lugs were super hard to remove on that side too.  I thought I was going to break the studs off.  The passenger side was missing it's ring all together due to the prior mentioned discovery.  Seems the tire shop made a boo boo when they put my new tires on last month.   You know the tire guy knew one was missing even if he didn't realize where it had gone. Luckily no catastrophies happened.  I should've noticed that right off, but didn't.  I've had a slight vibration since buying these tires and I think that might've been the culprit.  All is well now.  They are one of my better customers, but I'll still let them know about this training opportunity.

Jeff

My Sable has codes that popped up during my drive to work today. :censored2:

P0303 and P0316. Cylinder #3 is misfiring. I'm guessing it's the COP module going bad. 

Just another reason the Vulcan was a better powerplant ;)

5 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

Just another reason the Vulcan was a better powerplant ;)

Until the coil pack goes and all six cylinders start misfiring at once.

Or the cam synchro breaks and the engine seizes.

• Like 2

That's just one coil pack to replace then. I've seen where one COP dies, the rest start to follow. And cam synchros are easy to change.

Mother Fuck...

Began working on the 95 Taurus Wagon, jacked it up and first thing I wanted to see was condition. It's sketchy, but all surfaces are solid (I can't poke though with a screwdriver) So I should be able to sandblast those surfaces, then prime it, then undercoat the heck out of them.

So first thing first, undo all 4 subframe bolts. 2 Rear ones came out no issue. 2 front ones? Nope... I did spray them with PB Blaster and let them sit for awhile, and it went for awhile, then jammed, I got my breaker bar, and I broke whatever held the nut inside the box inside the front of the car. So, I think what I will do... Cut them out, and proceed to remove the Essex, and re-assess condition of the wagon. Remove as much rust as possible, and ensure I don't penetrate through the body. I intend to sandblast from front to rear.

I think once that is done, just buy two nuts that'll fit, and two washers, then put them in the box and hopefully be able to secure the vehicle together with them... I may need to cut the opening for the front subframe connectors to be bigger. Step one is already the hardest part lol.

• Like 1

Did the technical inspection. Failed at first because of the switchback LED's (amber/white). I found out now that, in VA, if you can see the light from the side of the car, it cannot be white.

My old 96 Sable had two different lights for front/side markers, but the 2001 Sable has just one bulb, visible from front and side. Grrr, removed the LED's, put back the stupid 3457NA bulbs.

I didn't get stopped or a ticket because, in VA, lighting system non-compliance is not a primary offence, basically you can drive with the lights off at night and they won't stop you! Stupidity!

Edited by SoNic

Went in for an oil change. That pesky timing cover oil leak didn't cause any problems. Haven't used any oil in 3 months. Maybe it's sucked in enough engine crud to plug it up ! 

It it hadn't been raining I would have hit the car wash to get road trip grime off.  Will check the weather for the week. 

Finally fixed the AC/heat that didn't like to have the temperature changed. The blend door actuator of course had a gear with a broken tooth (had happened in my Explorer, the same exact defect). A biatch to get to, crammed under the dash, but after one hour of surgery (mainly through the radio/ETAC  hole) I was victorious.

blend_door_actuator.png