5 minutes ago, ShelbyRacer78 said:

No drone means no fun!

#RiceSable - 4/16/2016. :P 

• Like 3

Just now, Brian_05_SEL said:

#RiceSable - 4/16/2016. :P 

Totally saving this for when he complains about drone in a few months lol

• Like 2

With no more crappy flex pipe, my exhaust drone is almost gone now... And I still have to figure something out to get rid of the rasp past 4k rpm....

2 minutes ago, ShelbyRacer78 said:

And I still have to figure something out to get rid of the rasp past 4k rpm....

As an owner of both engine models... you will have to buy a Vulcan. 

• Like 1

Just now, Brian_05_SEL said:

As an owner of both engine models... you will have to buy a Vulcan. 

Just another excuse for more Magnaflow components!

Complete coolant flush, new thermostat, and heater core back flush on the 2002.

New reservoir and nice new green coolant, it's still a little low so I might have to add some more water as I already have a little over 6 quarts of coolant in. Total Vulcan cooling system capacity is 11.6 quarts so I should be covered for at least -34 degrees, probably more toward -40 since I put over 6 quarts in.

IMG_20160417_142004585_zpssl8ywsat.jpg

• Like 1

As much as I love my reliable vulcan, It has the power of a 4 banger and the MPG of a V8 :/

As much as I love my reliable vulcan, It has the power of a 4 banger and the MPG of a V8 :/

Yeah your right but it won't die on you lol

Complete coolant flush, new thermostat, and heater core back flush on the 2002.

New reservoir and nice new green coolant, it's still a little low so I might have to add some more water as I already have a little over 6 quarts of coolant in. Total Vulcan cooling system capacity is 11.6 quarts so I should be covered for at least -34 degrees, probably more toward -40 since I put over 6 quarts in.

IMG_20160417_142004585_zpssl8ywsat.jpg

Before you change the coolant and flush the heater core did your temp gage goes up and down often ?

8 hours ago, Jaybrooks said:

Before you change the coolant and flush the heater core did your temp gage goes up and down often ?

This was purely a PM service. I need this car to last a few more years without having issues.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jaybrooks said:

Mine did and still does. Its quoted somewhere in the ford service manual that a partially clogged heater core will cause this to happen. Mine is great and i have AWESOME heat but I still have temperature fluctuations. I don't think the temperature is actually fluctuating, but the coolant temp sensor is just not getting a good flow.

Everything is working normal though, and my heat is GREAT. very high heat output.

Mine did and still does. Its quoted somewhere in the ford service manual that a partially clogged heater core will cause this to happen. Mine is great and i have AWESOME heat but I still have temperature fluctuations. I don't think the temperature is actually fluctuating, but the coolant temp sensor is just not getting a good flow.

Everything is working normal though, and my heat is GREAT. very high heat output.

Oh ok I would have to check on that thanks

Third Bull is in the car hospital for a rustectomy.  They'll call later and let me know if they've found anything else bad besides the rocker panel area. 

And now I'm car-less for 2 days. Forces me to stay home and do housework or Netflix binge, whichever mood strikes first

• Like 2

3 hours ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

And now I'm car-less for 2 days. Forces me to stay home and do housework or Netflix binge, whichever mood strikes first

So... a good start to the weekend then? ;) 

• Like 1

I compromised. Some housework, some Netflix. I won't feel so guilty now. Car comes out of the shop tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1

Message_1461454684064.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TaurusKev said:

Message_1461454684064.jpg

Look, it's one of those Ford Storage wagons.

It seems to be the norm that if the wagon doesn't run at the current time, it's the parts holder until repaired.

• Like 1

Lol, it runs. Those are all parts from an 05 Taurus SEL. But... It's not legal, so I put it in the garage for now as I am going to start tearing the thing apart to repair it, and Monday get my Blue Bird's bumpers reinstalled, and begin driving that exclusively. It'll be nice to stop driving a foreign car :P

Completed a transmission pan drop, fluid change and filter change on the 2002 SE. Initial test drive was good, the AX4N is shifting nice and smooth but still its normal sloppy self. While I was under the car I finally chopped off the loose exhaust heat shield that runs from the 3rd cat to the back of the resonator.

IMG_20160430_131931965_zpsvbuui8gj.jpg

New filter installed.

IMG_20160430_152851835_zpspfzq1tgk.jpg

Removed heat shield, old filter, and old fluid. Its looks pretty black but that's because I washed the pan and magnet off into that tub so all the crud turned the dark red fluid even darker. Didn't smell burnt or anything, just a deep dark red color. You can see the car clearly has an exhaust leak where my straight pipe "resonator removed" meets the back half of the exhaust, so I'll have to have someone look at that and maybe clean up that weld.

IMG_20160430_152735495_zpsjlo4nvfu.jpg

The Vulcan is looking pretty good all cleaned up with all new ignition components and coolant/reservoir.

• Like 1

Two new tires and state safety and emissions inspections, all for less than $300.

Also changed the oil a week ago.

New Timken hub was installed on the passenger side of the car. No more grumbling when I drive and the steering even feels tighter! 

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 8:21 AM, AntDeek said:

Try the 2l Ecoboost in my Fusion. The power of a V6 but fuel economy of a v8.

On 2016-04-18 at 6:21 AM, AntDeek said:

RTFM

WIFIZ5G.jpg

On checking the in dash message centre, and flipping through the options (Distance to Empty, Average Fuel Economy, Trip Odometer, Trip Elapsed Drive Time), when I pressed Reset, the trip odometer was the only thing that went back to zero (the trip elapsed drive time was already at zero).

Roughly over the last two months of winter driving (end of February through April), the Vulcan has used 622.01 litres to travel 5350 kilometres (yeah, only someone who is anal retentive keeps detailed records). This calculates to using 11.63 litres per 100 kilometres fuel consumption (or as I prefer 11.63 litres per hour - how we measure fuel consumption when flying). In USA, this calculates out to 20.2 mpg (US) and for any Canadians, 24.3 mpg (Imperial). I echo Antdeek's comment, the power of a four and the thirst of a V8.

Each and every time I checked the average fuel economy on the message centre, it always showed 14 litres per 100 kilometres. I believe the twitter expression is WTF (pilots prefer Whiskey Tango Foxtrot), the rest of us use slightly more graphic expletives.

So as I prepared to ask the question on this forum, how does someone reset the average fuel economy values, it occurred to me to check what is in the manual? There in black and white on page 57 and 58, was how to reset the average fuel economy.

Followed the instructions, and was very pleasantly surprised while driving to see the number dropping to 13, then 12, then alternating between 11 and 12. Like the heading says, RTFM.

From my records, the Duratec was better, averaging around 9 litres per 100 kilometres. Besides the lower horsepower of the Vulcan, the other significant differences between the two engines at this time was I did have a K&N air filter and I used premium gasoline on the Duratec. So come stable warm weather, I will install a new K&N, measure the consumption, then switch to premium and again measure the consumption over several thousand kilometres.

Then assuming senility hasn't taken over, I will again report the results.

Finally confirmed a suspicion of mine today. I have an exhaust leak up front. It's right where the third cat and resonator meet. There is a good clamp there but either it has loosened/wasn't tightened enough or the exhaust is separating from corrosion. Before I bought the car almost 6 years ago I took a look underneath. I remember pointing to that specific location and saying something like "That's going to fall apart/rust through at some point." 

The leak isn't very big and is barely audible but you notice real quick when fumes end up inside the cabin when stopped. I don't know if I'm going to fix it, even if it falls off.

Took Third Bull back to the body shop to finish up the rustectomy work. There was a place he wanted to touch up. 

Rotten rainy weather kept me from doing anything else. The alternative was to go on a shopping spree and buy 2 new Ford Tee Shirts. :P

• Like 1