What Have You Done To Your Bull Lately?

Took the car for her maiden voyage today.

I'm scared :ph34r:

I put a bottle and a half of coolant, and it's acting weird. So I know there are probably air pockets lingering... I ran the car for awhile, squeezed the upper hose to kind of push coolant around. But the heater sucks when idling, but it hasn't overheated at all... It took awhile to even get my heater to work.

Partially scared since, well, as much as I love it, it IS an Essex... :ph34r:

But, it runs like a dream of course :P

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you think anyone really cares??

You are an egotistical asshole. I'm not the only one on this forum that thinks this, either. Go f**k yourself...wait, you probably already do--'cause no one else would...except your butt buddy Stevi

He's the latest former Taurus owner to see the light and defect to the glory of the Panther platform

Posted Images

I put a bottle and a half of coolant, and it's acting weird. So I know there are probably air pockets lingering... I ran the car for awhile, squeezed the upper hose to kind of push coolant around. But the heater sucks when idling, but it hasn't overheated at all... It took awhile to even get my heater to work.

Except for the constant worry that the head gaskets are going to explode in a catastrophic occurrence, of course. :D

My memory tells me the Essex is a hard one to de-air.

On the other hand if there is a gasket issue, it may blow compression into the coolant and make a air pocket that will not go away.

Best of luck.

-chart-

Well, I had head gasket problems when I bought the car. Air was being pumped INTO the car. Even drove it from Illinois to Indiana, and my entire coolant was near empty. Kept a jug of water. Later I put Blue Devil in and it fixed the issue 100%. I put new coolant and Blue Devil in, I never lost a single ounce of coolant after that.

Hopefully it's still working after losing almost all my coolant, but we'll see. If not, I'll put another bottle in. It worked better than I expected.

IMG_1245.jpg

This was about 2 years ago? It was near when I bought my car.

Just about, also damn does the 3.8L look attractive or what? Auto manufacturers need to realize, opening the hood is like taking the bra off of a hot chick.

It's gotta be attractive and amazing.

Other engines that win at being sexy: SHO V6 and V8, Essex S/C.

Just about, also damn does the 3.8L look attractive or what? Auto manufacturers need to realize, opening the hood is like taking the bra off of a hot chick.

It's gotta be attractive and amazing.

Other engines that win at being sexy: SHO V6 and V8, Essex S/C.

Looks aren't worth a damn if the performance isn't there ;) I'd rather have a engine that's fun than one that looks good haha

Power is there. ;)

Trust me, the Essex can fly thanks to her torque 

Torque + HP helps you get up and go. Both of them are equally important in performance. The more torque, the easier and faster it is for me to get up and go. Much easier for my engine to move that heavy station wagon :)

Torque + HP helps you get up and go. Both of them are equally important in performance. The more torque, the easier and faster it is for me to get up and go. Much easier for my engine to move that heavy station wagon :)

IntechE_zpsb9754d72.jpg

OK for me, this has it all.

Appearance

Torque

HP

Sound (purrs, then screams)

and it doesn't leak. NEVER. Oil, Air, Intake, and such.

But, that is just my take.

-chart-

ps, on the technical side, note the fuel rail. :read:

At least your alternator is on top :)

Yea but still I figure 2 hours to remove it.

Have to drain the coolant which means removing the tank. That involves removing a cross brace and the PS resivor.

Might as well do a belt at the same time. Belt involves the same routine.

Just add on inner fender liner and front tire.

But no need to remove air dam for coolant. Easy drain.

Other things are easier than a Bull.

-chart-

Easy fix. Only issue was getting the snow off the hood. No tools needed.

I have this hiss sound that changes with engine speed.

Hear it yesterday when cold but it went away.

Today, it did not.

So raised the hood at idle and looked and looked and it was from the belt area, but seemed to be down low.

Then I saw it: :pat: 
I had dropped my magnet on a rod and the magnet was stuck to the A/C clutch and the rod was rubbing the belt.

This thing has a small flexible rod with a mag on one end and handle on the other.

Problem solved. No harm as I can see.

It could have gone through the pulley and made a mess.

Guess I should slap the mechanic. :pat:

Again.

Strange happenings at my house.

-chart-

Damn Ford. They keep changing things. Looking at your Continental strut bar and it appears different compared to mine. Do any of them swap and fit on a Taurus Generation 4? If yes, which ones?

Strange happenings elsewhere as well. Being close to the holidays, my son reminded me of the practical joke I pulled on him ten or so years ago. I had just purchased the red Taurus wagon. I emailed the son and told him I was in midlife crisis and splurged to buy a little red car for myself. I gave him some of the particulars:four wheel independent suspension, four-wheel disk brakes and DOHC (four valves per cylinder) engine designed by Porsche (the Duratec was designed by Porsche Engineering.) He bit and was quite disappointed when all he found was another wagon. The joys of being a parent never cease.

Damn Ford. They keep changing things. Looking at your Continental strut bar and it appears different compared to mine. Do any of them swap and fit on a Taurus Generation 4? If yes, which ones?

Strange happenings elsewhere as well. Being close to the holidays, my son reminded me of the practical joke I pulled on him ten or so years ago. I had just purchased the red Taurus wagon. I emailed the son and told him I was in midlife crisis and splurged to buy a little red car for myself. I gave him some of the particulars:four wheel independent suspension, four-wheel disk brakes and DOHC (four valves per cylinder) engine designed by Porsche (the Duratec was designed by Porsche Engineering.) He bit and was quite disappointed when all he found was another wagon. The joys of being a parent never cease.

The Cont engine is low profile. Intake sucked way down between the cylinders. So, there is a clear shot strut to strut. You could make one from elect conduit if you wished. Bulls use high rise intake runners that get in the way.

-chart-

The Manistee navigating the icy Fox River in downtown Green Bay, crossing "under" the Ray Nitschke Memorial Bridge. She's all of 620 feet long and is pushed along by 3000 HP. In the foreground is a Ford Taurus, 16.5 feet long and a whopping 155hp.

I managed to be downtown at the exact right time to catch some nice pictures, would have been much better during the day.

IMG_0650_zps78ab0202.jpg

• Like 1

Quick question. Does anyone know the size/thread pitch for the rear pinch bolts. Would hopefully like to get them before Monday

Quick question. Does anyone know the size/thread pitch for the rear pinch bolts. Would hopefully like to get them before Monday

12 mm 1.75 mm pitch. 50 mm overall length, minimum.

Head label 9.8 metric for = grade 8

-chart-

Thanks chart! I had a feeling it would be you that knew. This is a pain. Kinda looking like I might need to drill them and go with a longer bolt and nut

Thanks chart! I had a feeling it would be you that knew. This is a pain. Kinda looking like I might need to drill them and go with a longer bolt and nut

Good luck with that. Might want to remove the spindle from the car for that one.

I have never broken one on Taurus/Sables. However, I have worn myself out with elect impact just back and forth, spray, back and forth, hammer the head, back and forth. When the elect gets too hot to hold, take a break. I have done '88, '87, '90 and '92 had just been done by others and I had a re-do due to faulty strut. So non issue there. I also did the '03 Sedan when I did the wheel cylinders an it was not too bad. Still hammered on them. And that 8 year old non rust belt car. Just put in new bolts and put wheel bearing grease in the clearance hole. So if I ever need to pull them, it will be easy. It is the rust in the clearance hole that is the issue.

Best of luck.

-chart-

I managed to get my driver's rear pinch bolt out with lots of PB Blaster, a heat gun and a pneumatic impact wrench used in 2 second bursts. It was the factory bolt and was rusted really bad. It took about an hour but it came out. The threads on the bolt stretched in the process so I had to get a new one from the dealer for $7.13 USD.

Heat seems to be what did the trick. When the bolt finally came out it was stuck in the socket on the wrench. I tried to pull it out and when I touched it I heard a little sizzle followed by a very strong feeling of my fingers being burned. The little heat gun had raised the temperature of the spindle and bolt by several hundred degrees! Not bad for a Harbor Freight cheapo item. It was a lot easier to use than a torch too.

I think I'm just gonna take it to the college. A friend of mine is taking auto mechanics course there and says they can do it. I spent a couple hours out there with lots of heat and deep creep with no result at all.