What Have You Done To Your Bull Lately?

Ordered new Gates belts for the 09 from RockAuto. One of mine currently squeaks(may also be tensioner). I'm going to try the belt first because it's not very loud squeak, but is there. I figure 6 years/60k miles....5 of which in the salt belt may have caused them to wear differently than they would have here in the south. All total including the stretch tool was 32.00 shipped.

Jeff

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you think anyone really cares??

You are an egotistical asshole. I'm not the only one on this forum that thinks this, either. Go f**k yourself...wait, you probably already do--'cause no one else would...except your butt buddy Stevi

He's the latest former Taurus owner to see the light and defect to the glory of the Panther platform

Posted Images

Ordered new Gates belts for the 09 from RockAuto. One of mine currently squeaks(may also be tensioner). I'm going to try the belt first because it's not very loud squeak, but is there. I figure 6 years/60k miles....5 of which in the salt belt may have caused them to wear differently than they would have here in the south. All total including the stretch tool was 32.00 shipped.

Jeff

I got 2 gatorbacks from Rock and did both my Sables that I am keeping. Special price.

The forsale one is not my issue.

-chart-

My problem with RockAuto chart is that I wanted to buy the Goodyear belts, but none of the belt installation tools were shipping from the same warehouse so the shipping was double because of that.  The Gates belts shipped from the same location as the tool did so that's why I went with Gates.

Jeff

My problem with RockAuto chart is that I wanted to buy the Goodyear belts, but none of the belt installation tools were shipping from the same warehouse so the shipping was double because of that.  The Gates belts shipped from the same location as the tool did so that's why I went with Gates.

Jeff

BeltTensionerTool_zps968f2fb6.jpg

BeltTensionerTool2_zpsc0b2b4bc.jpg

I made my own, needed in short time so I made the pattern from my spare tensioner. Just a section of flat stock, couple quarter inch bolts, and some locktite. I have three with the same engine, so I did 2 at one time. Tool worked great. Car for sale already had a good belt.

But then I live in a different universe from most others.

-chart-

I like your ingenuity! The tool I bought is for installing the stretch rubber power steering belt which has no tensioner. The belt is high tension stretch. The catalog says you can use zip ties to install but I've heard horror stories on trying that way so chose to buy the actual tool since it was only around 7.00 and I'll throw it in my toolbox if I ever need it again. It's nice to know that even servicing the drive belts is no longer manageable roadside. Comforting feeling.....lol

I like your ingenuity! The tool I bought is for installing the stretch rubber power steering belt which has no tensioner. The belt is high tension stretch. The catalog says you can use zip ties to install but I've heard horror stories on trying that way so chose to buy the actual tool since it was only around 7.00 and I'll throw it in my toolbox if I ever need it again. It's nice to know that even servicing the drive belts is no longer manageable roadside. Comforting feeling.....lol

My Sables, water pump,which use the spring tensioner and I can put them on by hand.

If I had "on the road" issue with the main belt, I would try the shop rag method.

But on the other hand for the Lin Cont, I would figure 1 hour ++ to put a belt on. Tire off, inner fender liner out, drain coolant, move PS resivor, remove the coolant tank. With the help of 2" wide masking tape to hold the belt on the lower pulleys, it is possible. If I had a helper, I could skip the masking tape.

Could be worse.

-chart-

Thanks to Brian and Nick, Third Bull has the tail lights I've wanted, a new trunk lid liner and a few other bits and pieces:

Thanks to Brian and Nick, Third Bull has the tail lights I've wanted, a new trunk lid liner and a few other bits and pieces:

post-21-0-58963300-1413843552_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-04675900-1413843553_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

New fuel pump, got car back today.

Decided to pay local shop as not my kind of job, no place to work, too old to be doing this. New Airtex pump is very, very quiet, car runs just fine.

Issue was, I backed out of our drive and it just choked down and quit. No fuel pump sound with key on. (no PATS light) Remember hearing this on one forum. Smacked the bottom of the fuel tank and it ran long enough to get in back in the drive. I hot wired the pump and pumped ~8 gal gas out into a portable gas can. Pump sounds whiney.

Rest of the story:

Couple days before, I had experienced some random surging at road speed. Guess it was telling me: "Trouble is on the way". Surge is gone.

Car, ’03 Sable DOHC, wagon. 100K miles.

-chart-

All my EATC lights were dying :(

So, went to a junkyard, and checked many FLM EATC's after finding out Ford EATC Bulbs are mostly the same, except Lincoln Continental - Seems to have went to LED's in the last gen.

But found a Grand Marquis that surrendered all her bulbs. 

eatc.jpg

Looks much more attractive at night, and now my fiancee has lights to know which buttons to press vs random buttons.

Car still needs a ton of work, plan is to try and knock work out Sun/Mon/Tues.

List of work:

1. Coolant Flush (Great thing to do on Essex vehicles on a more regular basis to prevent head gasket failure)
  2. TONS of rust repair
  3. Brakes
  4. Junkyard run to find passenger side A Pillar plastic. All the pieces have broken off and now it falls out randomly.
  5. Still also looking for the 92 Dash surround from a wagon so I can use the clock from the 92 in my 95.

Figure if I made a list somewhere, I can start crossing things out.

Changed spark plugs on the 2002 which was a piece of cake, took just about an hour.  I found the best position to change the rear plugs was to kneel on the header panel and bend directly over the engine.

I also tightened up the loose mirror mount which reduced some of the vibrations. Some sort of annoying rattle has developed in the dash though, it's horrible but sounds like it's from up near the defroster vents and I'm not going to tear the dash apart.

Last month I did a coolant flush with a Clinton heater core flush. Since it's getting colder out, I thought I'd do another heater core flush just to get any remaining bits of gunk out as it will soon be too cold to do anything.

To my surprise, there was still a tonne of nasty gunk and bits of rust that came out! This time I went all out. I filled up and emptied my bucket probably 5-6 times until I finally got to a point where the water was completely clean and no more bits of crap.

According to my temp gun the air is now around 10 degrees warmer than it was prior. Will be well worth on those bitterly cold days.

Tons and tons of cancer.

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

The rockers are pretty much completely gone.

IMG_4688JPG.jpeg

My ghetto fix to prevent my RKE module from getting wet.

IMG_4690.jpg

The car is very rusty sadly :(

Breaks my heart...

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

Inside a rocker

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

How about the wheel well...

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

Steps I took to remedy the situation. I used my angle grinder with a wire brush attachment to remove as much cancer as possible. After that was done, I then used Rust Converter which would turn rust into a primer. Seemed to have worked, after that was all said and done, I sprayed all the surfaces down with Truck Bedliner coating. Once that was said and done, I took painter's tape, and taped all the holes shut. Then took two cans of expanding foam and sprayed them into the cavities. Next week I will see if I need to inject another can into it. Make sure there's no holes, then I'll make it flush, and then apply another coat of bedliner coating to hopefully seal the whole thing up.

Sad to see what a horrible state like Illinois can do to a beautiful car :(

Waaaay rustier than my T-Bird LX was too. Problem was the plastics seem to cover the problem beautifully. I suppose if I can make the rockers solid again, it don't matter how it gets done, the plastic covers hide all the damage. I wish I had metal working tools, fabricate some new rockers. But, there is a ton of stuff I would need to redo. Sadly, it's just way too far at this point. Best bet is to preserve what I can and work to buy a replacement.

As stated, I may sell my motorcycle. Which kills me since I love it, but I barely use it, and I think I love my Supercoupe much more.