Devin

What Have You Done To Your Bull Lately?

Wonder why the relay got so hot or the box got so hot it started melting....

That spade connector handles a lot of current. If the spade/socket gets corroded then failure is common. Gets hot.

I have seen common fail of circuit brakers in building dist boxes. The solution is NOALOX anti-oxidation joint compound.

In the boxes I have worked on as a volunteer, (1500 amp main) with 5 200 amp sub boxes is this. Once this happens on a breaker, the breaker is done.

Seems on or two breakers in a box fail and it messes up the buss bar spot they clamp on.

On my '03 Sable when I was looking for intermittent starter, I pulled the relays and switched the one for the starter. At the same time I pulled them all and wiped the spades with NOALOX. Available at Lowes in .5 oz tube. Also great for gound attachments to body and such where corrosion can take place.

My son is electrician in a heavy industry plant. They all carry this and use it on all appropriate joints. He put me on to this.

And the issue was not the relay but the solenoid on the starter.

-chart-

No kidding!  Wow.  

Good tip on the spades, thanks Chart!

Maybe easiest fix of the year.

Kept hearing a thump in the rear of the wagon, and I have checked out anything inside the car. Much worse when cold.

Not a metallic and not when it hit a bump, just keeps on thunking randomly.

Jacked up the pas rear and checked the feel of things and used a pry bar under the wheel to try to make it make a noise.

Then looked around and bumped the plastic fender liner and then heard it.

Oh, on to it. The vapor hose from the EVAP goes up inside the fender. It was hitting the plastic fender liner.

Just moved it a bit and it stayed away.

THUMP FREE.

-chart-

Vash, power antenna repair is relatively easy. My wife hit a "roly poly" barrier several years ago. The inflatable traffic cone bounced over and hit the radio antenna, bending it significantly (my later effort to straighten it out caused it to snap off - okay so I was still a little hot under the collar "Didn't you see it???")

Anyways, I went down to the local dealer - the price depended on whether you need just the mast or the entire assembly. Mast alone was just under a hundred installed; the entire assembly nearly three hundred installed. I took the part number for the mast from the diagram he printed for me and searched eBay. Under $20 which included shipping. Same part number and identical in every respect. It comes with instructions - basically unscrew the retainer - needs special wrench or a pair of needle nose pliers, pull out the nylon linear gear, insert the new one, cycle it several times. Done.

Eventually, I intend to install a power antenna on the current car.

Get a power antenna from a 96-05 wagon for a 96-07 sedan.

And mast is easy if the nylon gear doesn't snap inside the antenna.  If it does, then you need to remove the antenna from the car, open the case and remove the broken pieces.

Another thing that can create heat like that is a loose connection. It will create a very small but constant electrical arc that will create a lot of heat. This car has been crashed twice and if you look close in the picture you can see the fuse panel has been blown apart. Either way, each section of the fuse panel is able to come out separately so I intend to replace only that section..

As for the power antenna, I have been watching th yards for the last year for a wagon antenna that isn't snapped off or st the very least is in the down position. None, I have found zero. And this isn't a small yard either. That is why at least for now I have swapped back to a fixed mass. I would like to just rebuild the antenna I already have. In fact I might have two of them around, my snapped off one and another that was sticky. Maybe I can make one good one of the two.

Brian knows the name of a place that sells replacement masts, I ordered from there when I rebuilt mine, since finding a mast in good shape is next to impossible.  If I remember correctly it was around $20.  I just can't remember the name of the place, or find any saved links I had from it.

They are on eBay.  Some company out of Georgia.  Just search on taurus power antenna mast, and you'll see it.  Just bought one to replace mine.

Replaced my blown subs with  2 10inch Alpine Bassline subs matched with a 1400w Infinity amp

Next Sunday replacing my 16 gauge wiring with a 6 gauge

Eventually I want to pick up some dynamat for the trunk and put in 800w amp for all four speakers with all new wiring

So far my new system costed me 160 add another 40 for the speaker amp and maybe 50-60 for the dynamat :)

Edited by blackout

The most recent thing I've upgraded was my instrument cluster. I had a custom made white gauge overlay made by Whitegauges.net. if you look close, you'll see I deleted out my PRNDL delete plate with "SABLE". Also changed to blue LEDs. Full write up to follow how I did it and recalibrated my gauges. y5ega8yg.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Technically the "SABLE" will light up, if I can figure out a way to light it with an indirect glow. I just ran out of time for the project. In time it will glow properly, like a marauder. :-)

Thanks for the kudos though :-$

My car, which is not a floor shift, has the backlighting there for the gear select. If you can take apart a cluster from a column shift vehicle and figure out a way to get that light back there, it will work!

Edited by TaurusDailyDriver

Probably pull apart a cluster from a column shift model, then pull the lighting from behind where the gear indicators are.

I considered all this, but the problem lays in the faces. If I remove the plastic delete plate, "SABLE" is actually clear, and any back light shows the guts of the cluster. I tried a few different methods, none of which were working. After I finish my struts/alternator project, I'll get back to it and I'm thinking just a couple or few SMD LEDS mounted on the delete plate. I think there is enough of a gap between the PRNDL delete and gauge face to do so.

If anybody has any other ideas, I'd be happy to hear them. I've already tried several methods, none of which were to my satisfaction.

Edited by njackson580

They actually removed the light directly behind the PRDN21 on the Gen 4 cars, the light actually comes from above (the upper part of the cluster). My early build 2002 didn't even have the copper contacts to add a bulb there.

Exactly what I was going to say.

They actually removed the light directly behind the PRDN21 on the Gen 4 cars, the light actually comes from above (the upper part of the cluster). My early build 2002 didn't even have the copper contacts to add a bulb there.

After 420,000 miles, the original fuel pump went out on the '99 Sable. I'll remember this timeline for all the other cars. :)

• Like 1

After 420,000 miles, the original fuel pump went out on the '99 Sable. I'll remember this timeline for all the other cars. :)

You got more use out of yours than I did mine.  I had to replace the fuel pump at 58,000 miles  <_<

Mine started to die at 142k miles on my 2000. Thats when I sold it. If I would give it any good amount of gas on the highway it would stop accelerating all of the sudden. I could watch the fuel pressure drop to 0. It would suddenly come back.

Bought 12 square feet of dynamat for my trunk

Almost made a impulse buy on a double din headunit with touchscreen navi and dvd player but it was out of stock

• Like 1

You got more use out of yours than I did mine.  I had to replace the fuel pump at 58,000 miles  <_<

The car sat for a couple months while I was fixing the body damage. Guess that's all it took.

Today was a long day. Went to U Pull R Parts to buy a Chestnut Brown driver front door last weekend only to find the car had been crushed since then..

So, instead I came home with a dash assembly and center console out of a Dark Shadow Gray 03 that had the black interior. I still need a few parts to complete my swap (will post a WTB thread soon) Everything was in good shape but quite dirty. I will likely swap out the console sort of soon, I have a couple of modifications I have to do before I put it in.. The dash is going to have to wait until spring or maybe summer. It has one very small tear on it right on the driver side above the cluster sort of, hoping I can find a way to fix it, it really isn't noticeable but I don't want it getting bigger. I'm super excited to ditch the absolutely horrible early 4th gen cupholder!  Can't wait for the new console.

So, when my interior is 'done' it will be all black except for my seats, floor mats, and from the window sills up. Looks alright as is, but I think the dash and console will really finish it off.

Also grabbed a sunroof switch finally, my switch works only if you push the button in half way, both directions..

We took the Sable today and really loaded it up, took us a half an hour to get everything to fit in the car, I forgot to take out the rear butt cushion like I planned because I overslept...

IMAG3617_zps972e5ccf.jpg

And of course the trunk was just as full. This is not the first time this car has hauled big loads like this. From large amounts of wheels and tires, to a Crown Vic rear axle assembly this car has hauled a lot of crap and never let me down.

Also bought a set of ADR Propulsion rims today with tires. $200 plus a $100 Home Depot gift card I have had for a while. Tires are nice, rims are a little rough here and there. Two rims are silver and two rims are gray for whatever reason. 19" Not even sure of the width, tire size, offset yet. I mainly bought them for my S60R but of course I have to try them on the Sable.. Here they are on the previous owners car.

IMG_30621860919794_zps425185cd.jpg

Not a huge fan of the style.. But for the price I wasn't going to pass them up, my R needs tires sort of soon anyway.. I think I plan to do the centers in black to kind of hide the design a little bit. I need a set of wheels and tires for the car so that I can refinish the Pegs. And the brakes are so huge on that car that I don't have anyhting else that will fit, I am not even sure yet if these are going to clear the brakes on the back side of the rim face.

Those rims look really cool, actually. They almost remind me of Tesla rims.