Devin

What Have You Done To Your Bull Lately?

Also, just thinking about it... My Taurus only goes 85 Mph. :lol::rofl:

I wrote out on an index card the speeds above 85 that corresponded to engine speed in 4th gear, and kept it above the sun visor in the Sable. I'll have to see if I can find it, it's probably still around somewhere.

Not that I ever had cause to use it, of course... ;)

Oh, and since we're on the subject, when it comes to Tauruses I only do the Essex (not that most everyone didn't already know or suspect that). I think I used to have at the bottom of my sig something along the lines of "232 Essex: Because slow is not an option." :icon_mrgreen:

Kevin will praise the the 3.8 until it has an issue, then it will be the biggest pile of s**t ever.

I wouldn't touch any vehicle with an Essex power plant.

Ford putting the Essex in the F150 and E seires was a joke, garbage engine. Besides for maybe a Freestar with the 4.2, those things can move. My Grandparents have a Monterey with the 4.2 and they could tow their ~3500lb boat no problem, 263 ft-lbs from that motor could move that van and cargo nicely.

Poor design, does that have anything to do with the fact that it was manufactured in Canada.

• Like 1

Also, just thinking about it... My Taurus only goes 85 Mph. :lol::rofl:

IMG_8611.jpg

This was taken in Mexico... Where it was legal :ph34r:

Good old town of Mexico, Indiana. :P

Kev, my parents had an Essex in the Sable. Blew a head gasket with less than 100k. Never again lol.

OK I have had 7 Essex.

3 in rear wheel '84,'85,'86.

2 in Sables '92, '95.

2 in Lin '91, '93.

I am not a fan.

Many believe Ford coppied Buick with the oil pump in the timing cover and other features.

It was a quick fill in project which filled in the blank, then time for it to move on.

the "good old days" are only OLD! (good is just a bent memory)

Just my take.

-chart-

Kevin will praise the the 3.8 until it has an issue, then it will be the biggest pile of s**t ever.

Ford putting the Essex in the F150 and E seires was a joke, garbage engine. Besides for maybe a Freestar with the 4.2, those things can move. My Grandparents have a Monterey with the 4.2 and they could tow their ~3500lb boat no problem, 263 ft-lbs from that motor could move that van and cargo nicely.

Poor design, does that have anything to do with the fact that it was manufactured in Canada.

This is true, but still, I do like it when it works. It has nice power, and it sounds pretty nice when it's running. So, I think I'll stay committed to keeping the Essex alive if the rest of the car lets me :)

I think its the fact that Ford stole the engine from GM.

Well, I wish Ford would have stolen the GM 3800. Most reliable engine ever built. Those engines will take abuse and ask for more. I had a friend who would beat the hell out of his Lumina APV (Sadly) and yet the engine never gave up. Van ended up ending up in a junkyard due to him totaling it :(

GM 3800 leaks coolant into the cylinders from the intake.

Cheap GM used plastic and it fails. RECALL!

The 3800 is not related to the Buick engine of old.

Buick used their own designs for many years.

Of course GM built so many versions hard to tell what is what.

"Ford's resulting V6 was very similar to that of the original Buick engine — down to an unusual external oil pump design that was common in Buick engines and without precedent in modern Fords — and had a nearly identical displacement. In fact, one of the only major differences between the two engines early on was Ford's use of aluminum heads as opposed to the cast-iron ones used in the original Buick design."

-chart-

I always hated that 3800 motor. Not sure why, but everyone I know that has it have massive problems with it!

The 3800 is the same engine architecture as the original Buick V6, albeit substantially upgraded over the years. Yes, the '90s plastic intake is a problem, but slamming the entire engine design for one cheap component is a little disingenuous coming from Ford guys.

Sounds a lot like a Ford engine I know...

Edited by Stocker

The 3800 is the same engine architecture as the original Buick V6, albeit substantially upgraded over the years. Yes, the '90s plastic intake is a problem, but slamming the entire engine design for one cheap component is a little disingenuous coming from Ford guys.

Sounds a lot like a Ford engine I know...

Assuming you're talking about the intakes on the 4.6L, wasn't that more due to defective plastic from DuPont than any error of Ford's? Composite intakes have been used before and since with no issues. Heck, we've even got composite valve covers.

The one GM engine that I trust to be reliable is the 350 small block V8, the one that finished life as the Vortec 5700. There's a reason you see a lot of those with 200,000+ miles.

GM 3800 leaks coolant into the cylinders from the intake.

The 3800 is not related to the Buick engine of old.

Buick used their own designs for many years.

Of course GM built so many versions hard to tell what is what.

"Ford's resulting V6 was very similar to that of the original Buick engine — down to an unusual external oil pump design that was common in Buick engines and without precedent in modern Fords — and had a nearly identical displacement. In fact, one of the only major differences between the two engines early on was Ford's use of aluminum heads as opposed to the cast-iron ones used in the original Buick design."

-chart-

Ford stole the 60* V6 design, I for one am glad that they didn't steal the 90* V6 because of either the engine fires or crap intakes.

The 3.8 in my super coupe was used to tow my entire family in a 6x12 u-haul tandem axle across the country, three times :D

Plenty of power, and with the 98+ Mustang head gaskets they didn't blow up all the time.

MLS is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

Assuming you're talking about the intakes on the 4.6L, wasn't that more due to defective plastic from DuPont than any error of Ford's?

The solution was to switch to an aluminum crossover instead of plastic, I'd think if the plastic itself were simply defective they'd've just fixed that instead.

Plastic + heat = deterioration. Most of those things didn't leak until several years old.

I blew up one plastic intake with the aluminum crossover (the intake itself broke).

I washed her up last night, tire shine and all. Black sure does look classy when it's clean! Gonna take her in next weekend for an oil change and to get the recall fix done.

Engine started stumbling after I got gas today. Thought it might be the coil pack again. So when I got home I took the pack off. There is a hairline crack running along the back by coils 1&2 and getting close to 3. Tried spraying water with the engine running; no dice. The engine ran fine. I did overfill the tank (oops) so maybe something with evap emissions control did it. Hooked up the scan tool just to be sure. Only one pending code: P2179 - O2 sensor signal stuck lean. Okay that's just great. So I watched some live data and all of the O2 sensors seem to be switching fine. :headscratch: Now I'm really confused. :wacko:

How do you overfill the tank? LOL

The same way that idiot "ford1998taurusdohc" claimed he stuck 25 gallons in a 16 gallon tank? Lol.

Hmmm... Not sure how you put 25 gallons in a 16 gallon tank.....

That was why we told him he was either a liar or an idiot lol. And that started his path down the dark side...toward the land of Global Ignore.

Basically I decided to round up to the next dollar and... well... there wasn't exactly enough room in the tank. I didn't spill a lot, maybe only a couple ounces. I'm just not sure if overfilling will have any effect on the evap emissions system or not.

It may, I've heard it has. Wasn't ever able to spill fuel on my 2000 or 2008. On the 2012 kia its super easy. With the vapor capture devices, I topped it off and it kept going and then it finally stopped. I pulled the thing back and a ton of gas spilled out! What the crap!

You can fill it full enough to fill up the charcoal canister.. which can cause some issues.

You can fill it full enough to fill up the charcoal canister.. which can cause some issues.

Maybe that's what I did. Oh well. So long as it keeps running.

I'm going to need a new muffler really soon though. The hole in the current one is getting bigger every day.