Devin

What Have You Done To Your Bull Lately?

2 hours ago, Gentz said:

Keeping the fusion?

Yes. I have contemplated Ubering and my Fusion would be off limits for that.

My Sable was making a really irritating knocking/clunking noise recently from the front left corner, which started soon after I had the front strut assemblies and rear shocks replaced. It turns out that one of the front left caliper bolts had worked itself out and the caliper was moving when I drove over bumps. 

Tire/wheel rotation. Better treads to the sedan, on the left in pic. Two small floor jacks, my trusty clicker ratchet torque wrench = 100#.

-chart-

TireRotate17.jpg

16 hours ago, SHOenough said:

Well, that’s quite a fuck-up. 

What are you driving now?

Edited by Brian_05_SEL
Nevermind, just saw your other post on the 4Runner.

The Sable had to be towed home today. 

z79aAaq.jpg

My wife calls me up saying the car is smoking. I ask how badly and didn't seem like fire smoke, so I told her to relax, maybe oil on the car, and I went and saw. I noticed radiator fluid everywhere however on the transmission. 

Get it home, fill it with some water as the tank was empty

Qzv8KVB.jpg

I notice right away it's seeping out the top of this stupid hose (Rant coming up) 

L0X0yRx.jpg

This damn hose just kept disintegrating each time I touched it. It broke from the upper radiator hose connector, the top, and connecting to the engine block. 

This is the stupidest fucking design I have ever seen for a radiator hose. I am tired of people saying parts for an import generally cost more, when yet I don't really see imports with this multi-hose. What was wrong with a thermostat housing on the engine block? And a single hose connecting to the engine? Fucking $120 part. I think I replaced all my Endeavor's hoses for much less! 

Either way, I am a broke college student, and my work sucks so badly they cut my hours as I am on a contract, and allegedly they didn't approve more hours. So money is tight, holidays suck, and just pissed away money on a new hose + a bottle of radiator fluid. And of course, both PCV hoses all disintegrated as well lol. I felt anything I touched on this car just fell apart under the hood. And just hit 101k miles. 

Plan is to find me a stick shift econo-box (Geo Metro, Civic, Accent, Corolla/Prism, something that'll do 30+ Mpg easily) and give the wife the gas guzzling Mitsubishi, and then try and sell her car. But for now, it's fixed enough to be reliable for a bit more. The rust isn't critical yet. 

Also, if you're in Chicago, Redmon's Towing was awesome with towing the Sable, granted it was all done through my insurance's Roadside assistance, but they were polite and courteous. 

• Like 1

Jesús Gonzales, that stupid Duratec hose setup makes no logical sense.

I won't lie, I helped someone with a broken one many months ago, just not as bad as that. The main portion wasn't busted, but that little return line that comes off the top did and they were losing coolant. A small straight plastic heater fitting with barbed ends that I had fit snugly in the hole where it broke. A little PlasticWeld and a little time, it set hard. Ran some new coolant hose to it, no problems AFAIK. ;) Not recommended personally, but something tells me that fix would outlast the part given how they fail.

IIRC, the replacement thing is like $120 and most auto parts stores usually stock the Dorman one, which I've heard hasn't held up well for some people in terms of longevity.

I might have tried that, but that hose's plastics were so brittle, that yeah, I did put a Dorman one on as that was only one available. Sadly also expensive.

Does have 101k miles on it. But still could have been avoided with a traditional cooling system design. 

14 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

The Sable had to be towed home today. 

My wife calls me up saying the car is smoking. I ask how badly and didn't seem like fire smoke, so I told her to relax, maybe oil on the car, and I went and saw. I noticed radiator fluid everywhere however on the transmission. 

Get it home, fill it with some water as the tank was empty

I notice right away it's seeping out the top of this stupid hose (Rant coming up) 

This damn hose just kept disintegrating each time I touched it. It broke from the upper radiator hose connector, the top, and connecting to the engine block. 

This is the stupidest fucking design I have ever seen for a radiator hose. I am tired of people saying parts for an import generally cost more, when yet I don't really see imports with this multi-hose. What was wrong with a thermostat housing on the engine block? And a single hose connecting to the engine? Fucking $120 part. I think I replaced all my Endeavor's hoses for much less! 

Either way, I am a broke college student, and my work sucks so badly they cut my hours as I am on a contract, and allegedly they didn't approve more hours. So money is tight, holidays suck, and just pissed away money on a new hose + a bottle of radiator fluid. And of course, both PCV hoses all disintegrated as well lol. I felt anything I touched on this car just fell apart under the hood. And just hit 101k miles. 

Plan is to find me a stick shift econo-box (Geo Metro, Civic, Accent, Corolla/Prism, something that'll do 30+ Mpg easily) and give the wife the gas guzzling Mitsubishi, and then try and sell her car. But for now, it's fixed enough to be reliable for a bit more. The rust isn't critical yet. 

Also, if you're in Chicago, Redmon's Towing was awesome with towing the Sable, granted it was all done through my insurance's Roadside assistance, but they were polite and courteous. 

I noted per pic, slight leak in mine. = '03. Replaced, ~$30 from RA and ~$5 shipping. My first thought it was the hose below but by looking careful, it was a drip from above. Combined work with doing the ABS/TC module as it was in the same area. Old hose itself looks OK but they have a reputation. The ABS module is a real pain, got one at the JY for $11 from a low miles wreck. Hard to find one with TC. Just got lucky.

-chart-

Hose17.jpg

12 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Jesús Gonzales, that stupid Duratec hose setup makes no logical sense.

I won't lie, I helped someone with a broken one many months ago, just not as bad as that. The main portion wasn't busted, but that little return line that comes off the top did and they were losing coolant. A small straight plastic heater fitting with barbed ends that I had fit snugly in the hole where it broke. A little PlasticWeld and a little time, it set hard. Ran some new coolant hose to it, no problems AFAIK. ;) Not recommended personally, but something tells me that fix would outlast the part given how they fail.

IIRC, the replacement thing is like $120 and most auto parts stores usually stock the Dorman one, which I've heard hasn't held up well for some people in terms of longevity.

Pic from RA, was $30 now $40 only 5 left. Since I have a second '03, might be best that I get one for that car also.

-chart-

HoseRad..jpg

I had my mechanic check all of Third Bull's hoses last summer, and I think this is one that he replaced. I know there was a  fair share of polite grumbling about how back assward the assembly was in the Duratec. :angryfire:    I'd rather listen to his grumbling and have a new hose installed than end up somewhere on 81, miles from civilization  with Third Bull smoking. :dangerdriving:  

On 12/16/2017 at 11:10 PM, TaurusKev said:

I have a stick shift eco-box I'm looking to get rid of here soon. Just as junky as all the models you listed above. I was getting ~38 mpg average in the summer and about 34-35 now in the cold. It's a gutless wonder with only 97 horsepower though. Has its issues; Third gear doesn't work (just grinds non-stop so I skip over it,) I'm fairly certain the differential is bad (lots of grinding noise when coasting,) small oil leak where the timing cover goes over the crankshaft (main seal? It goes from full to add in 3000 miles,) A/C doesn't work, rust is starting in the rockers but isn't bad yet, one busted outside door handle, only one working inside speaker, radio clock illumination is failing, probably some other minor stuff I'm forgetting. I did replace the spark plugs when I got it so now it runs super smooth, also installed a new gas tank in June as the old one rotted really bad. 1999 Suzuki Esteem Wagon, 143,xxx miles. I put ~300 miles on it per week. The only part that has me concerned is the diff. The car still goes just fine but all the noise worries me a little. Maybe the diff bearing? Aftermarket parts are iffy since Suzuki is no longer around in the States (selling cars anyway.)

I want to get a proper used car soon instead of another tide-me-over like the Suzi. I would rather sell it to someone that would use it than trade it as there is no market for a dealer to try and sell it which means it goes to the junkyard.

23 hours ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

I had my mechanic check all of Third Bull's hoses last summer, and I think this is one that he replaced. I know there was a  fair share of polite grumbling about how back assward the assembly was in the Duratec. :angryfire:    I'd rather listen to his grumbling and have a new hose installed than end up somewhere on 81, miles from civilization  with Third Bull smoking. :dangerdriving:  

The complex cooling systems are a blessing but come at a cost. See my chart, warmup with the coolant in single digits. Can't ask for much better. The quicker they heat up, the less fuel you use, longer your engine lasts, and less emissions. Helps with my comfort also. But it costs more in parts for the maker. More complicated to fix.

On the other hand, Ford has had problems with rubber and plastics as they age, as in 15-16 year old cars. The one I took off is rock solid for that part, just leaks. I tugged at it and it is fine for structure. On the positive side, Ford parts are relatively easy to get. 

-chart-

CoolantWgn9-16.jpg

Sold the Sable LS Premium. Sadly... It just had way too many problems. 

1. Rust. Tons and tons of rust. Rockers were coming off, body is coming off, and floors were going. Engine bay was going rust everywhere. 

2. Fuel tank. It was leaking fuel. I put a full tank in on it, later only 30 miles later, I had 3/4 tank. 

3. Engine needing a tuneup, it idled kind of rough sometimes. And also all the rubbers were falling apart. I replaced that coolant hose, but I saw more issues underneath. Quite frankly wasn't worth keeping. And... The exhaust was failing, and the wonderful Duratec-Valdez - as seen, that massive oil spot left in my driveway. 

Initially, I wanted something stick shift, and cheap, but decent. Went on Autotrader, and put Stick shift, and came across a Pontiac Vibe, low miles, and good price for it. Looking into it, was a great deal shockingly. And weirdly was at Brian's Dealership. Ring him up, no rust, and very little scratches. I test drove it, drives like a new car, feels like a new car, and I couldn't find any rust under the hood, under the car, rockers, suspension. Was a really clean car. So, it settled it. I decided to go for it. Price was good, condition was great! But... It wasn't stick shift, the website lied, but that is alright. 1 Mpg difference between stick/automatic. 

2b3N2yJ.jpg

ut8jaz9.jpgwy6gNdS.jpg

I lightly poked here with a key. My key went right in... No effort required. 

hPjqqbo.jpg

gR4Q08v.jpg

In with the new(er) However, looks brand new with exception of few minor scratches here and there. 

RFd32mg.jpg

4vkZ3IJ.jpg

Nice roomy hatch. 

W49qBub.jpg

7dxrsS7.jpg

I really like this thing. And being a Toyota, it'll last for a long time if I keep up with its maintenance. However, this also means pretty much every vehicle I have minus the Thunderbirds, are all wagon style. Endeavor, Vibe, and Roadmaster all have a proper setup for storage :wub: 

Sad to see the Sable go, but not worth even fixing anymore. 

I did however keep the nice tires/rims off the Sable. 

• Like 2

Congrats on your new car!!!  My niece has an 04 Vibe and that thing has almost 300k miles on it.  Only non routine thing I've done to it is put an alternator on it.  Other than normal service items such as brakes and what not...it's only ever had oil changes done. Religiously, by the book and usually with whatever the cheapest oil and filter are available at the time.   No check engine light either.  She hates it because it's old and starting to look it's age, but it's paid for and that means a lot.  Plus, mechanically it runs and drives like new.   She may buy my Fusion from me when she graduates college next year.  If so, Im likely going back to a newer Taurus.

Jeff

• Like 2

AFF648AC-E0B8-4A23-98E9-5CEA2A28B6A7.thumb.jpeg.e5ebe10ec4941634d71bab1b9bc62e45.jpeg

There is Kevin, about to drive away in his new NUMMI-built hatchback while I parked his trade out back in the Wholesale section. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the new-to-you Vibe!!  Treat yo'self to some new driving gloves for such a special occasion.  It's a shame your dealer wouldn't find you a stick shit one but I've always had a soft spot for those.

• Like 1

The stick shifts appear to be rare (at least in IL). And ones I saw... Terrible condition. 150k+ miles, and wanted $3k or more, If I am paying $3k, I want under 100k, and clean all around. However, with the automatic, now the wife can drive it. I wanted to teach her stick... Really if my mother could drive stick, anyone can drive stick :ph34r:

Could have paid more and got this beast. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=472516778&zip=60107&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D60107%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeList%3DVIBE%26makeCodeList%3DPONT%26searchRadius%3D25%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=VIBE&makeCodeList=PONT&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=PONT&modelCode1=VIBE

So, I settled on the automatic... At least it's a durable transmission, and the 1 mpg difference I suppose won't kill me too much. :(

On 12/23/2017 at 11:44 AM, TaurusKev said:

The stick shifts appear to be rare (at least in IL). And ones I saw... Terrible condition. 150k+ miles, and wanted $3k or more, If I am paying $3k, I want under 100k, and clean all around. However, with the automatic, now the wife can drive it. I wanted to teach her stick... Really if my mother could drive stick, anyone can drive stick :ph34r:

Could have paid more and got this beast. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=472516778&zip=60107&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D60107%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeList%3DVIBE%26makeCodeList%3DPONT%26searchRadius%3D25%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=VIBE&makeCodeList=PONT&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=PONT&modelCode1=VIBE

So, I settled on the automatic... At least it's a durable transmission, and the 1 mpg difference I suppose won't kill me too much. :(

And apparently there are reports that ‘03-‘05 model manual transmission equipped Vibes have numerous transmission issues. For an ‘04, you’re much better off with the AT version. 

Brushed off snow from Third Bull and took it to the pharmacy for drugs today.  No matter what flu shots I get every year, (including pneumonia and xtra strength old people's shots) I still manage to get one good upper respiratory infection. :banghead2:   Nice way to spend a 4 day holiday.

The good new is Bull started up at first crank, despite the 10 degree weather and not being driven for 3 days.  The blower motor always puts out a few odd cold weather noises but nothing that doesn't go away. 

Hope you all have a good New Years !

41 minutes ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

Brushed off snow from Third Bull and took it to the pharmacy for drugs today.  No matter what flu shots I get every year, (including pneumonia and xtra strength old people's shots) I still manage to get one good upper respiratory infection. :banghead2:   Nice way to spend a 4 day holiday.

The good new is Bull started up at first crank, despite the 10 degree weather and not being driven for 3 days.  The blower motor always puts out a few odd cold weather noises but nothing that doesn't go away. 

Hope you all have a good New Years !

Wishing others a happy new year and tonight's celebration. I have had the 24 hour bug for 3 days. No respiratory, just stomach and very cold and shakes. Stomach is settled now and getting food down and not so cold. Had to go to the grocery today and it is -1F. Made it OK but was shaky when home. Should be better tomorrow. One of my grandsons had it Christmas and my daughter got it at the same time I did. Have not heard from her today but assume she if better. The grandson that had the bug Christmas is now in London England for the New Years Parade with our school band. Other grandson is over there also and hope he gets home before he gets it too.

Get well soon.

-chart-

Oil/filter change and tire rotation were done on the Sable wagon yesterday. She keeps chugging along as reliable daily transportation- last odometer reading was 126,140 miles. 

• Like 1

I fired up the Taurus for the first time in few months about a week ago and it decides to act up right away. It just wouldnt idle then started backfiring a bunch and won't even try to fire up now. The fuel pump kicks in and I tried a different coil pack. I dunno maybe the syncronizer went☹, damn thing now im borrowing vehicles to get to my new job since i dont get a company vehicle there but way better pay

I think Brad, our ‘97 Taurus-wagon-turned-truck that we use around the property, is gonna be put out to pasture (I guess it’s kinda been out to pasture, now it’s headed for the slaughterhouse). It’s had a slight misfire for the last 6 months. I kinda suspect a failed head gasket. It never runs long enough to overheat, but it has consumed coolant. Today I noticed transmission fluid leaking from one of the metal lines along the front of the subframe. This was a northern car, so it has some rust. I paid $400 for it about 4 years, it had a major crack in the transmission case. Since I sawzall’d the back half off to make it a truck, it has been quite handy hauling logs, rocks, and trash around he property. 

Mable, the ‘05 Sable needs a fuel pump. I parked it last year, and that’s the last time it started. I hear nothing from the pump when the key is turned. 

Edited by Spridget
  • Like 2