Devin

What Have You Done To Your Bull Lately?

Today marks one year of ownership. It's been nice.

I've put 8,000 miles on it in that time.

Replaced:

Plugs, wires, coil

Rear struts

Oil pan gasket

Transmission flush

Rear brakes

Oil change

Intake manifold gaskets.

Cabin & air filters

Battery.

Honestly, all that is regular maintenance apart from the struts. Car runs like a top now.

I can say it's the best car I've ever owned with confidence since it's the only car I've ever owned. :rofl:

How about fuel filter.

GasFilter11_zpsf8b44455.jpg

It may look like this. Let's hope not.

That is dirt, not rust. Bad gas can happen.

Then there is the belt.

BeltSable_zps4e5d3ec1.jpg

This belt ~1 year old. Can't trust new parts.

-chart-

I forgot I changed the belts this summer, used Gatorbacks.

FF...I hate doing fuel filters on Fords. Those stupid quick disconnect fittings.

Both of my belts are original. I'll change them at 100k or so.

Non-replaceable fuel filter on this car so I don't have to worry about that! I changed mine once in the 2000.... One of the first jobs I did on it!

Non-replaceable fuel filter on this car so I don't have to worry about that!

Rethink this sentence, Sam. ;)

They work, at least from what I've seen. 170k on my parents Odyssey with a non-replaceable unit, no issues.

Did the 150,000 mile transmission service interval work on the 5R55E/S/N. The new F150 transmission is the same way, no dipstick so no debris can get into the transmission, stupid as hell.  Brian is right.  Everything that does some sort of filtration should be serviceable.

Drove the '95 quite a bit today, at no time did I smell coolant (and I checked every time I got out of it). Gave a guy at my friend's house a ride to the store, he asked me did I want to sell the Taurus. I laughed and told him that no way in hell would I give it up at this point. I'm into it very little and it's a great car for me. Even if I did sell it, what could I get for it as-is? $1500 if I'm lucky? I'd have to be damn lucky to find something else (down here) in that price range half as good as it is.

Test fit the 19s today

IMAG3627_zpsa909c242.jpg

IMAG3628_zps84968dc7.jpg

IMAG3629_zpsec52eb8e.jpg

IMAG3626_zps3b28adb9.jpg

They are perfect, except the style... 19x8.5 et38 235/35-19 tires. Might need a slight roll in the rear if I decide to use them on this car. Not so sure they are going to fit around the brakes on the Volvo yet. Those Brembos are huge...

Looks good IMO. I wouldn't pick that particular wheel if I were buying new but I'd take 'em used I suppose. Looks good on the Sable.

Does that '92 Ranger have it's original tail gate? My friend's '91 and both his '92s had the bright tailgate insert with the Ford oval, but they were XLTs and the "F O R D" was under the bright panel if you removed it (we did one time to see if it was there, lol). Thought the bright panel was standard across the board by '91-'92 era. Also, what engine does it have?

The Ranger is an STX model so no bright work on it at all from Ford. It's got the 4.0 replacing said 4.0 in the spring.

Gotchya. Any advice for my friend who now drives a 4.0L '91 4x4 with the infamous tick? Runs perfect other wise, and he loves the truck so if he has to have it rebuilt to fix it, he probably will end up doing just that. It goes away sometimes, but comes back.

Somebody told him to replace the oil pump, but I don't think that's going to do anything for it.

Not really much you can do without knowing for sure where the sound is coming from. They do like to make some valve train noise after some miles, I have never tried fixing one until it was broke. Parts are dirt cheap though for them. My engine keeps throwing push rods, this last time I pulled the plugs and the one is all mashed up. I found a good engine with good compression for $150 bucks, so I'm not going to mess with the one in the truck. Paid $300 for the truck after it had been overheated several times. Brand new radiator and hoses under the hood, one owner, 4x4 works. Excellent cheap truck.

Good deal on that truck. :thumbs:

He's had several Rangers. First one was his first vehicle, a '92 4.0 4x4 XLT ex-cab automatic, red over grey cloth. That one was totaled with about 100K miles IIRC (Toyota 4Runner plowed into him at full speed). The second Ranger was a disaster, it was a 2.9L regular cab 5-speed. He hated it, and they traded it in very shortly after buying it private party on a '94 Ford Explorer Limited for his mom. I found him another '92 4x4 XLT auto 4.0 with high mileage later on, and they bought it and loved it for several years. He sold it and regretted doing so. He ended up with an '01 Focus SE with about 150K IIRC that he traded straight across for the current '91 XLT 4.0L 4X4 auto ex-cab he has now. :ford:

They are good trucks. We have had a few around. My dad had an 88 STX 2.9L manual that pulled our trailer with my dads 72 F250 on it after it pulled the rear bumper right off of my uncles F150, pulled it a good long while before finally overheating, stopped for some lunch to let it cool and just confinued on our way. I had a chopped 88 Bronco II I purchaced on eBay with blown headgaskets, put a low mile cheap used engine in and drove it a few years without any issues. We also had a 94 Exploder that my dad bought cheap with rod knock, put a reman engine in and that was the family hauler for quite some time. I still see my dads old STX running around from time to time. Was an absolutely great truck for us. We normally buy them cheap after they break and then fix them cheap.

It's easy to do that with Fords, take my '95 for example.

My dad had a 1985 Ranger with the Mazda 2.0L gas 4cyl (he had a Courier back in the '70s, both bought new). He also bought a new '98 Ranger 4x4 4.0L Ex-Cab the day we bought the '97 Sable. He eventually traded it in on an F-150 to pull the camper with. That was too light duty as well, so he bought the PowerStroke he has now.

A couple of years ago I found him a '94 Ranger 3.0 Vulcan XLT 2WD, reg cab 5-speed for $800/obo. Said it "ran last week, wont start now". We went to look at it and tried jumping it off but to no avail, it just spun over but wouldn't fire. We agreed on $500 for the truck as-is and we towed it with the F-250 home. I got to looking at it when we got it home and I found the problem: The coil wire was not plugged in. Plugged it in and she fired right up. Truck had well over 200K by my guess, given it's condition. We put a clutch and slave cylinder in it and he drove it for almost a year before he overheated it one too many times and blew the head gasket. He drove it into the ground and we sold it, non-running and with a partially disassembled engine (intake manifold and accessories removed), for $750, lol. I kept and later consumed the bottle of whiskey we found under the seat, lol.

I would like him to find another Ranger in better condition to cruise around, but he wants to fix the F-250 first.

Sam, just for reference this is a dirty car, when you can't tell what color it is though the salt spray.  Probably won't see a wash for another week or 2.

photo3_zps76bce55a.jpg

Ouch. That's horrible!

My poor Taurus is pretty bad too :(

Poor thing, but she's been a champion lately! I keep telling her I will replace her with a Roadmaster Estate wagon, and that keeps her motivated to not piss me off! :)

I keep telling her I will replace her with a Roadmaster Estate wagon, and that keeps her motivated to not piss me off! :)

I lol'ed.

Lol, true story...

Went and bought a bath tub, and surround at Menards... The guy was skeptical the tub would fit... "It's a station wagon! Anything will fit!" Surely, it fits like a glove. "See? What'd I say? Best car ever built! They sure don't build em like this anymore! Anyway, thanks again for helping me! Have a great day!" I jump in my car... Put key in, turn key... Cranks... Cranks... Cranks... No start. Seriously?

Eventually it started, and ran like brand new. Never did figure it out. It does it randomly, but now I discovered, just cycle the key on about 10 times, and it'll start right up :)

But if I am mean, and talk about how a Caprice would never let me down... It stops misbehaving instantly! I am sure my car is possessed :lol:

I should have taken a picture of the Escape. After driving 250 miles from the UP to Green Bay the car was a mess, the front end is solid brown ice from all the sand. There is a good half inch of that covering the entire front bumper. Plus all the slop that was stuck to the sides of the car. Driving back to Houghton tomorrow will just put another layer of that stuff on.

Lol, true story...

Went and bought a bath tub, and surround at Menards... The guy was skeptical the tub would fit... "It's a station wagon! Anything will fit!" Surely, it fits like a glove. "See? What'd I say? Best car ever built! They sure don't build em like this anymore! Anyway, thanks again for helping me! Have a great day!" I jump in my car... Put key in, turn key... Cranks... Cranks... Cranks... No start. Seriously?

Eventually it started, and ran like brand new. Never did figure it out. It does it randomly, but now I discovered, just cycle the key on about 10 times, and it'll start right up :)

But if I am mean, and talk about how a Caprice would never let me down... It stops misbehaving instantly! I am sure my car is possessed :lol:

I'll have to get my wagon riser out that I made to help haul 4X8 sheets plywood or drywall. Length of 2x4 that goes between the front seats, and in back a crossbar, and legs of 2x4.s. Put sheet on it and it slides down to the front seats, keeps the back just the right height to fit inside and not damage the rubber seals. Got is stored in the back of my garage. When the weather gets nicer, I'll take a pic.

Used the leaf blower this am to clear the drive to the car, and blow the snow off the Lin. ~5 and sunny, good snow cover but really really dry stuff. Should see some double digits today. (temp not snow)

-chart-

I saw that one of my license plate lights was out. The bulb was burnt and cracked, and I had to remove it in two pieces. Buying a replacement tomorrow

Quickly skimmed for prices and I saw Sylvania's replacement LED bulb, but I wish it wasn't $10 for one bulb.

I'll sell you some 6000k color temp LED bulbs that you can replace them both with. a lot less than $10 a bulb if you want them.

I'll pass for now. I tend to look at high-end products thinking I need them; yet I want to get it replaced ASAP.

However, I was disappointed with how dim the lights seemed, so I'll look into something brighter when I shop tomorrow

I'll sell you some 6000k color temp LED bulbs that you can replace them both with. a lot less than $10 a bulb if you want them.

I might take you up on that offer. One of my plate bulbs has been flickering since at least October when I went to the meet at Nick's. Both are pretty dim and old anyway. I've wanted LED's back there for a while (they look awesome) but I was never able to justify spending all the $$$.