Devin

What Have You Done To Your Bull Lately?

So the heated function would work, I would just lose the puddle lamps?

Correct, if everything matched correctly, which I believe it does.

Yes, Gen 3 mirrors are a direct plug 'n' play swap except for puddle lamps.

Yup

Hmm...now to find SGM gen three mirrors. If I decide to go that route. I like the puddle lamps. I've only seen one set of the green gen 3 mirrors on eBay, they wanted $55 each. Before shipping.

I think I may hit a yard in Tucson next weekend to see what they've got.

So you want mirrors from a 99 bull? I think that was the only gen 3 year that had that color

Yeah, that makes it hard. I've only seen the one the guy gave a Gen 4 nose to on TCCA, the wagon I found for sale in NY, and this one on eBay that they were selling the mirrors too (it was a high series, had the starfish wheels on it). I'm unsure if I want to lose the puddle lamps, since I really like that feature.

I want the side skirts from that '99 too. But I'm not prepared to spend a ton right now. Mirror caps (or mirrors) somewhat. Side skirts wouldn't be cheap to ship, but if I don't end up finding them it might still be cheaper than painting a different color to match. Paint from paint scratch in my color isn't cheap!

Your color isn't that hard. Btw you can drill a hole in the mirror housing and transfer all the guts of your current mirror into it the thus retaining your light and heat function.

PM me your cell number so when I go to the junkyard I can let you know if I find anything

No rush. If you find anything, no need to grab it today. Just let me know if you found something. Some of this is contingent on my Power Mac finally selling. I can swing it without that, but it'd make things easier if it does.

My car acted weird. The start was delayed... Turned the key, then a second later the starter kicked in... The electrons must not like this cold :P

No clicking lol? IDK hahaha. That is weird. I always start mine from upstairs before I go down....so it hasn't failed to start yet!

Nothing, it was like it was just too cold for electrons to move to the starter motor, it started fine, and when I turned the car off, and tried again it worked just fine. :P

So I've been thinking of making a poor man's Ford Ambient Lighting.

One thing I loved about my 2012 Focus was the lit foot well lights at night. I normally stuck to a light blue, very seldom changed the color. So, I don't care about changing colors

But I thought about it, I could go to a junkyard and grab two more brackets that hold the footwell lights, and bolt them in, and wire them into the Interior light circuit. But I don't want the same incandescent lights. I do like it, but I think I'd like a very light blue, since the instrumentation/HVAC is a blushish/teal color.

Any thoughts?

It's worth a shot, it might look pretty good. I put red 194s in my Tempo GLS's foot well lamps and it looked pretty cool, almost sinister (had grey interior so it contrasted but in a good way).

Just replaced one of the CHMSL bulbs, had one in my stash. Paint is pretty oxidized in places, mostly on the roof, trunk, and rear bumper. Two dents, one in the driver's door, one in the passenger rear door, neither major. Side molding is faded dark, "TAURUS GL" can barely be read. I'm missing a marker lamp cover on the passenger side, and the front bumper is original but was repaired and painted black at some point. The paint started coming off the driver's side of the bumper when I was washing it, showing it's original blue underneath.

Inside, the dash clock doesn't work, probably a bulb. The master window switch and door lock buttons are not lit up like they're supposed to be, either. The seat plastics on both front buckets are all busted, not unusual from what I hear. Power seat works good. The driver's door panel is a little loose, and part of the grey trim has turned blue over the years. As has the passenger side airbag cover. Dash is also cracked a little below the air bag area, but the passenger's far right vent is perfectly in tact (unusual for a car in this condition, my '93's was completely destroyed, I've seen many in similar shape).

A/C compressor comes on instantly when it is selected, but turns off after just a few seconds (suggesting it's low on R-134A). All other HVAC positions work as normal (no blendor or vacuum issues).

Gauges work well, but several bulbs are burned out (far left illumination bulb, the bulbs for seat belt warning lamp, high beam on lamp, and both left and right turn signals, however one turn signal was working when I bought it but not now). This will be fixed when I upgrade to a tachometer-equipped gauge cluster at some point. Radio works great, as do auxiliary buttons on the dash.  

Steering wheel has a aftermarket cover on it, actually one of the better ones that fits well and is color matched. MFS works fairly well, I can tell it's old. I've replaced these many times over the years. Center console it a little difficult to open (stiff), but isn't loose or cracked up. Power mirrors do not work at all, either side, suspect the switch. Carpet has some minor stains, but isn't ripped up or trashy looking yet. Same with the seat fabric. Factory floor mats are long gone.

It drives pretty well for 185K and what I assume is an original powertrain. I plan to do a full tune up, including fluids change. I'm still getting used to power steering again, my last three cars didn't have it or it didn't work (including the Aerostar). The struts and springs are original too, judging by the way they sit (low) and react. It's not terrible, but I've certainly driven gen IIs that were more composed. Two wheel covers are missing, but I have four more in the trunk, and a total of three center caps. I think all four tires are different brands, lol. All of that will be corrected when I upgrade to some alloy wheels. One of the five factory 15" steelies will then become my full sized spare, since the car's factory spare is flat and badly weather cracked.

Brakes work pretty decent, with only a minimum amount of warped rotor shimmy when slowing down from highway speeds. Rear brakes must need replacing because the parking brake isn't as strong as it should be. Does not "SLAM" into gear like some older Taurus/Sable's I've driven, so the parking pin and associated hardware must be in good shape.

So I've been thinking of making a poor man's Ford Ambient Lighting.

One thing I loved about my 2012 Focus was the lit foot well lights at night. I normally stuck to a light blue, very seldom changed the color. So, I don't care about changing colors

But I thought about it, I could go to a junkyard and grab two more brackets that hold the footwell lights, and bolt them in, and wire them into the Interior light circuit. But I don't want the same incandescent lights. I do like it, but I think I'd like a very light blue, since the instrumentation/HVAC is a blushish/teal color.

Any thoughts?

One of these days (maybe never?) I want to put in LED adhesive strips on the underside of the dash in the front footwells. My buddy has some in his Milan, and his change colors. They're cool, but what I really want is to have white lights when I open the doors. 

My car acted weird. The start was delayed... Turned the key, then a second later the starter kicked in... The electrons must not like this cold :P

Had that happen a couple times with a Ranger. Never figured out what it was, but the starter went out completely several months later.

Inside, the dash clock doesn't work, probably a bulb.

The '93-'95 clock didn't have a bulb, it's a VFD.

That CV boot almost looks new.

That's an Arizona car for you. No humidity, no rust (on the metal parts), and being under the car, no direct sun = preservation. OEM quality, too, as some aftermarket CV axles have rust pits, and those quickly start rusting again in my experience.

What goes the quickest is like South East cars: paint.

Edited by JohnTaurus

The paint is in surprisingly good shape, honestly. No fade spots or wear on the sheetmetal or bumpers. The only problem is a fade spot on the rear spoiler (which was also scratched a few weeks back). Could always replace it, I suppose.

The '93-'95 clock didn't have a bulb, it's a VFD.

Oh ok, is it easily replicable? I know they changed clocks in '93 because I had a used '92 dash surround in my '93 and it was different. I think it had elapsed time or something. Anyway, how hard is it to find a working clock?

I just washed mine before my trip to Texas. It's amazing how shiny it is now :) Was looking dull after a few weeks of being neglected.

Could always replace it, I suppose.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, to some extent it has faded with the trunk (even if it's not noticeable now), so a newly painted one could look darker by comparison, especially over time.

When Nick and I toured the Atlanta Taurus plant in Hapeville, the gentlemen giving the tour was telling us how once a given car's doors are painted, they are painted with the body and they are kept with the car they were painted on so that when they faded in 20+ years, it would fade in the same pattern. It would keep the doors from being slightly darker or lighter than the rest of the car, which I have seen before. Seems silly but it works. Used to, they would just use any white doors on any white car, and so forth. Anyway, apparently a guy who worked at the Hapeville plant came up with the idea, and it was implemented in all plants as a result. I bet he got a fat bonus.

I bet he didn't lol.

I could also just swap trunklids for one without a spoiler, but then I'd have no CHMSL, and that might get me in trouble if I was ever in an accident... :rofl: