Antonio Terell

Ford Taurus Alternator Not Working: Repair or Replace?

I had a 01 Ford Taurus with 3.0L engine,the alternator is not working properly now.The fins inside the alternator are hitting the housing.I had autozone test it the bearings are bad or there is something loose inside.They said this alternator can be repaired and at cost of $30.I think the repairing cost is quite a bit.Because I only spent $75 on this alternator which was bought on two years ago at Hexautoparts.com. If alternators can be repaired reliably at a fraction of the cost then I would tend towards handing the car over to autozone.If not,I perfer to buy a new alternator replacement from Hexautoparts again.
Please advice.

Typically when the bearings are shot, it's just worth tossing a new/remanned unit in it's place. If you can find a rebuilder, that's always nice, but I've not ever considered trying to rebuild one since the availability and convenience of just swapping them just makes it simpler.

However if you're feeling froggy and you have the bearing numbers, the case should be fairly straightforwards to separate. Now if the bearing are so shot and the cooling fins have been just banging about the case, there may be internal damage.

By the time you spend get to the said alternator you will wish you got a new, lifetime warranty one.

Advance Auto Parts sells those for a small premium. Use Retailmenot to get a coupon, order the alternator online, apply code and go pick it up in the store (not the shipping).

PS: The Taurus/Sable came with two different engines, both 3.0 L. You will need to know which one you have when order the alternator. VIN 8th digit helps. Example: S for DOHC.

Edited by SoNic

On 6/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, Antonio Terell said:

I had a 01 Ford Taurus with 3.0L engine,the alternator is not working properly now.The fins inside the alternator are hitting the housing.I had autozone test it the bearings are bad or there is something loose inside.They said this alternator can be repaired and at cost of $30.I think the repairing cost is quite a bit.Because I only spent $75 on this alternator which was bought on two years ago at Hexautoparts.com. If alternators can be repaired reliably at a fraction of the cost then I would tend towards handing the car over to autozone.If not,I perfer to buy a new alternator replacement from Hexautoparts again.
Please advice.

I had my 91 Taurus alternator rebuilt by a local repair shop years ago.  They made it better than the refurbished auto parts store, didn't have a core charge, and were very reasonable on price.  If you have a place that rewinds electric motors & alternators, that may be your best course.   It was for me. 

I Rebuilt my alternator personally on my Buick Roadmaster, it's working, but the lights flicker when I am driving. Of course, I don't suspect a ground issue as I did replace my ground wires, but I do need to go over the whole car's wiring system one day. The auto parts store tester said it was a good alternator. Kinda wish I just splurged and bought a whole new alternator for it now. However, rebuild shops have better tools, better test equipment, and better knowledge than the crap testers they have at the auto parts stores. Those machines, I know AutoZone and O'Reillys has them, are pure junk.