Sign in to follow this  
TaurusKev

State of the Forum 2019

Hi TSOC Members!

Since I have inherited this forum from Sean, I have fixed the registration issue, and that was basically it. I am sorry. 

A lot of us Taurus and Sable owners have seemed to move on to other make and models. (Devin - Dodge, Sean - Honda, Me - Pontiac/Toyota, Buick) 

However, that being said, this forum also has shown a decline in population. I am not sure what to do. 

This forum has always been (Or should be...) an ad-free environment. Donations welcome to keep the lights running. I haven't checked to see how we look for finances either because it looks weird, so I need to work with Sean on that. 

That being said... I would like the community's feedback on what we can do. I thought about what if we just turned this forum into a car enthusiast forum. I know there are plenty of those that exist, but hey, what's one more, right? There are knowledgeable people on the forums, and there is good content already on our forum. Perhaps welcoming everyone in, regardless of what they drive, just as long as they take pride in their ride, could bring life back?

I've also heard from others, do nothing. The Taurus/Sable nameplate didn't seem to gain traction with the car's reboot, and people (like me) are preferring cars with liftgates, not trunks. Many Taurus/Sable owners are getting rid of their cars, which is either they wanted something better, or the car was in poor health due to rust, mechanical operation, or other reasons where the car wasn't worth keeping. These cars then end up sold cheap to others, or traded in and auctioned off to buy-here/pay-here lots who sell them to people who have no credit, only to wreck the cars from there. The Tauruses that people cared about are the SHO's, and there is a dedicated forum for SHO Owners. Not much love for Vulcan, Essex, or Duratec Powered Taurus/Sables, and little interest in the rebooted Taurus that was discontinued again. 

And with that being said, that'd mean letting the forum die off as the lights are based off community donations, not advertisements. If we don't get enough in donations, can't afford to pay for Hosting, Domain, and the Forum Software (Invision). I'd hate to see that happen as there are a lot of great people on the forum, but forums seem to be a thing of the past. People prefer FaceBook or Instagram. While useful, today's social media sites make it hard to find useful information with tons of ads everywhere. 

I'm inviting all members of the community to weigh in. If you have good ideas, I could use your help. I inherited the forum when I became a full time college student, and honestly, I suck when it comes to creativity.

I am open to any ideas and creativity from our members. For those who have great ideas - Positions of Moderators available! 

I'm happy with this forum. I check in most every day.

The volume is very light, and I kind of expected that when I joined, but I like the crew here. We NEVER have petty fights over sh!t.

If you need to pass the hat, say so, I'm in for a few bucks to keep the lights on.

Opening to other enthusiasts? How do we attract them? I guess I am cool with that.

I never knew you had inherited it!  I love this place and what it used to be.  More importantly, I love the friends it allowed me to make here.  I tried getting involved with my states Mopar club, but it was nothing like what we had here and I just stopped going.  I do miss how it used to be.  I like the idea of transitioning to an all inclusive format and I'm also prepared to donate to help keep this place going.  I hope to see the buzz return that seemed to vanish pretty suddenly a few years back.  Im in on keeping it alive if that's the will of the people.  You have my support! 

I see a lot of forums going trough this. Younger people are not so much technically inclined to work on cars, they rather pay someone. Also, they are not using forums, their brains are damaged by instant gratification offered by "social media" - Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat...

PS: My wagon Sable keeps on driving daily, very little maintenance needed - this year one steering pressure switch leaking, one fog light broken by a pebble... but temptation is great to get something newer. I would never buy a Honda or Toyota, but that's just me :)

zenriddles, how would we attract them? I haven't the slightest clue!!! 

Jeff, I agree, and yeah, I think it was more of a soft transition. The forum had so many issues, I volunteered to fix them (Registration problem for example) so Sean said I should be the new president. I do like that our community isn't a harsh community. I have been on other sites that get harsh when a member "leaves" the community by buying a different car. I've always been under the impression - If you take care of your car, and you take pride in it, I can respect it for what it is. 

SoNic - That's exactly the thing I am afraid of is the forum is a dying medium. Sites like FaceBook do make it easy... People subscribe to things they "like" but finding information is so hard on there. I know TSOC has a FaceBook page, but I have no idea how to run the thing lol. While I love the Taurus/Sable Wagons, they are generally rotted out here, or will rot out here due to design from the salt in IL. Makes servicing them a pain, and I am getting to the stage in life where I don't want repairs to take forever. 

With our community being accepting of other make/models, that's why I figured a general car club could maybe bring others back, or invite new people over. The other reason people generally joined car forums was for repairs, however, youtube has a wide variety of videos that people may just go to the Youtube page for help. Again, another example of social media replacing the days of the tired forums.