Spridget

Vulcan Camshaft Synchronizer Replacement

Hi Jim,

OEM parts are generally always recommended, but I think you'd be OK with the Delphi sensor. It's a very simple and common device. Dorman's overall quality is hit and miss. Some Dorman parts I've purchased have worked very well while others were dead in the box.

I'm not sure what the book labor charge is for this job, but I'm gonna assume it's around 2-3 hours. It's not a difficult job, but the book labor time probably follows the factory repair steps which are considerably more in depth.

Why are you pulling the whole thing out , if all you have to do is replace the sensor?

Why are you pulling the whole thing out , if all you have to do is replace the sensor?

The usual procedure is to replace the whole thing, the gear is much more of an issue than the sensor. If it's not chirping, it will be. The only question is when.

The usual procedure is to replace the whole thing, the gear is much more of an issue than the sensor. If it's not chirping, it will be. The only question is when.

As I remember, alignment is a chore.

The bearing fails and it starts to make noise. Leave it alone and it may strip the gear and you loose oil pressure.

When they had distributers in this position of the engine, thay did not have the bearing failing. Ford did not do their homework.

Distributers, pre '96.

-chart-

Thought I'd share this. Post 209 shows a homemade alignment tool.http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/f10/what-can-we-do-about-cam-synro-problem-203433-7.html

sync-03.jpg

I copied the pic from the above link.

Simple and effective!

That method is wrong.

The new part might have the square of the oil pump in a different position or the teeth in a different position. At the install time, the INSIDE part will get rotated from what is on pic with no means of adjusting (unless you rotate the cranckshaft). So those makings of the OUTSIDE cardboard will be worthless in that case.

The only thing that matters is the RELATIVE position (angular) between the little flag in the middle and outside window. That cardbord would be usable if can be roatated, not attached to that bolt like is shown...

post-1431-0-85596000-1343582022_thumb.jp

Edited by SoNic

The only thing that matters is the RELATIVE position (angular) between the little flag in the middle and outside window. That cardbord would be usable if can be roatated, not attached to that bolt like is shown...

Excellent point. There may be variations between replacement parts.

I didn't notice, but did he use a Motorcraft replacement part? Maybe he just got lucky with the new part.