PGG

misses at high rpm, no codes shown

This is my first time posting on this site, and I need some expert advice please.

My Taurus SE is a 2006 model with 25k actual miles.  I haven't had any trouble with it until now.  I took it on a 200 mile round trip last week & everything was fine.  When I next started to take a ride, I noticed that the engine misses at higher rpm.  I discovered it like this.  I got out to close my gate & thought I heard a little squeaking from under the hood.  I reached in and revved the engine and it starts missing above 3200 rpm.  There is no check engine light on. When I attached a code reader it does not indicate a problem.  Anybody got any ideas?

Your belt might be slipping at high rpm causing your alternator to send insufficient  voltage to your ignition system. 

Thanks. I'll check it.

OK. I installed a new belt and it seems to have helped a lot. When I rev the engine it doesn't miss until about 4500 rpm. When driving, I can't detect any missing at all.  I never would have figured that belt to be causing the problem. It looks great.  I clearly have a lot to learn about the Taurus.....Thanks for the help!

Glad to help a fellow Taurus owner, mine is a 2004 SE and runs like a boss. Have you ever checked the OHMs of your spark plug wires? You might have one or more that are failing at 4500+ rpm. Those OEM coil packs can cause misfires too. 

If squeak is coming from the driver side of the motor suspect the camshaft synchronizer. Buy a ford one if you need it - Dorman is utter garbage.

squeak passenger side - could be a pulley.

be sure to do a good flush on your cooling system if it hasn’t been done in last 5 years.  

Thanks! I will check it out.

I wouldn’t worry about your cam synchronizer with only 25K miles, since they’re good for 75-80K miles when it’s smart to replace the rotor in the top part of it. 

Age takes a toll same as miles. Sometimes age is worse.

-chart-

Lol...Age has certainly taken a toll on ME!

Can you guys recommend a good book on Taurus troubleshooting / repair?