Sign in to follow this  
Silver02

Misfire

Hi!

We recently purchased a used 2002 Ford Taurus wagon with the 3.0L V6 engine. It only has 64,000 miles despite being 16 years old, but shortly after we bought it it developed an engine misfire which persists to this day. We have changed the ignition coil, spark plugs and wires and also had the PCM module updated at a Ford dealership but the misfire keeps happening. I bought an ECM monitor and can reset the service engine light but this doesn't cure the base problem. The car starts rough but smooths out right away and seems to run fine afterwards. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Is this the OHV or OHC engine? The OHV (Vulcan) differs considerably from the OHC (Duratec) engine. Typically Duratec cars have fender badges that say 24V and the engine will have Duratec branding on the cover. 

This branding is not visible anywhere in my car's engine compartment. The website won't let me upload a pic of the engine, but all it says on the top is "3.0L V6." No 24V anywhere.  Did I buy a car with a bad engine? :(

2 hours ago, Silver02 said:

This branding is not visible anywhere in my car's engine compartment. The website won't let me upload a pic of the engine, but all it says on the top is "3.0L V6." No 24V anywhere.  Did I buy a car with a bad engine? :(

Typically the Vulcans got the bland branding with the 3.0 V6 on the valve cover, so it’s safe to say you have the OHV engine. Not a bad engine at all, as they’ll run forever, they’re just not terribly powerful. Weakest link really would be the transmission. Most folks around here will recommend adding a transmission cooler and change your fluid about every 30K miles for best lifespan.

When the Check Engine light comes on, what codes are you reading? Is it explicitly misfire codes or is there other ones present? 

Edited by Kodachrome Wolf

5 hours ago, Silver02 said:

It is always P303.

Misfire on cylinder 3, shame it has to be a cylinder on the back of the darn engine.

I know you said you recently replaced all the ignition components. What brand parts did you use? I've seen some aftermarket stuff not be properly up to snuff compared to the original components. A good test to determine if your coil pack isn't defective out of the box is to take a spray bottle of water and lightly spritz the coil pack with the engine running. A healthy one shouldn't result in any change in how it runs. A bad one should aggravate the issue more. I'd also take the time to check that you are getting good spark on the number three wire.

Assuming once you check over the ignition components, it might be worth checking for adequate fuel delivery. An injector not functioning properly could be an issue. Worst case is a mechanical problem, but I'd start with simpler stuff first.

Okay we will check all those things. Thanks for the advice, I love this car and want to keep it for a long time!