nhyrum

96 Taurus wagon, no speedo, dead radio

Hello all... 

So, let me preface this by saying, I was a dingus. I was an idiot. I did this, and I knew better..  

So,  the other day my wife's car was dead(the Taurus) I went to jump it,  and,  with the cables covering the makings and the posts sprayed with the corrosion stuff, that's RED, I connected the positive to the negative and the negative to the head bolt tab. When that didn't work, I moved the ground to the battery (positive) and well,  smoke, sparks, etc. Now. Radio is dead(climate still works, manual controls) can't turn it on,  no clock etc. That I noticed right away, along with the abs light.  Fast forward to today(the next day) I notice the speedo isn't working. I hear the speedo goes through the radio fuse? Does it possibly go through the radio as well? I checked the fuses under the hood, all look fine. 

A new radio off eBay is 150 bucks. New factory old stock, in box. The radio was having problems before, ejecting tapes, so it kinda needed replacing anyway. I have the ax4n trans, did a fluid flush(pan drop)  a few weeks ago. I don't believe that to be the culprit. 

Any other ideas? 

Check the fuses under the driver's dash in the GEM (or SJB). You may have blown some of those.

16 hours ago, Angrod said:

Check the fuses under the driver's dash in the GEM (or SJB). You may have blown some of those.

Yep. That was it. 10 amp abs and 5 amp radio, blown. Man I'm thankful for fuses...