I have two Tauruses, an 03 and an 05, both with 3.0 Vulcans.  The transmission in the 03 went out a couple of weeks ago.  I found out that it's a common occurrence for the splines to shear and that the rebuild is very expensive.  The car has 250K miles and the front end has a lot of slack in it so I don't think I'll dump too much money in it.  The 05 engine with about 125K dumped all the water out of the coolant system into the oil pan.  I  looked at the gaskets and didn't find any indications of leaks anywhere then looked at the heads but didn't see any indications of cracks.  I decided that I wasn't going to put any money into that block since I couldn't find any leaks up top.  So my question is, will the engine from the 03 fit the bell housing on the transaxle from the 05.  If they will mesh up I can put some time and money into the 03 engine so I will at least have one working Taurus.  I plan on pulling both engines when it cools down a bit.  It's still too hot down here in south central Louisiana to want to work on them when it's not absolutely necessary for the moment.  

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Does the 2003 have An AX4N transmission ?

They both do according to the transmission code on the door panel tag 

Swap away. Keep harness with car. Don’t use 05 harness on 03 body 

Thanks. I plan on replacing the torque converter in the good transmission and possibly rebuilding the good engine. Do you know where the best place to get a torque converter from that won’t have been made in Canada?  I’m guessing they probably got their issue fixed by now though.  

Autozone sells a good brand with deeper splines.  Company from Tennessee