Billy Ray

clear check engine light for inspection

I was told if I filled gast to 2/3 - 3/4, disconnect battery, turn oh headlights till they die then reconnect battery, crank her up and drive 40 miles in different conditions i.e. hwy, stop go , etc., etc.. This would more than likely clear engine light. Anyone ever done this successfully???

2 hours ago, Billy Ray said:

I was told if I filled gast to 2/3 - 3/4, disconnect battery, turn oh headlights till they die then reconnect battery, crank her up and drive 40 miles in different conditions i.e. hwy, stop go , etc., etc.. This would more than likely clear engine light. Anyone ever done this successfully???

OBD-II Monitor Exercised Drive Cycle Procedure

Drive Cycle Preparation. overnight cold.

1. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds.

2 Drive at (40 MPH) until ECT is at least (170 F). .

3. Is Inlet Air Temp within (40 to 100 F)? If not stop here.

HEGO

4. Cruise at (40 MPH) for Up To 4 minutes. Executes the HEGO monitor.

EVAP

5 Cruise at (45 to 65 MPH) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Gas tank ¼ to ¾ full.

Catalyst

6. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period. Executes the Catalyst Monitor.

EGR

7. From a stop, accelerate to (45 MPH) at ½ to ¾ throttle. Repeat 3 times. Executes the EGR Monitor.

SEC AIR/CCM

(Engine)

8. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive for 2 minutes. Executes the ISC portion of the CCM.

CCM (Trans Auto)

9. From a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to (40 MPH) cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at (40 MPH), activate overdrive and accelerate to (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 9 five times. Executes the transmission portion of the CCM.

Misfire&Fuel Monitors

10. From a stop, accelerate to (65 MPH). Decelerate at closed throttle until (40 MPH) (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times. Allows learning for the misfire monitor.

Follow directions for quick make ready for inspection. Most will do fine with normal driving, except EVAP. This one must be done by the book. Trick is the outside air temp in cold weather. You can clear the light with a code reader or pull the negative battery cable for a few minutes. Bat cable will also reset your tranny shifts to default. Code reader reset will only put out the light.

-chart-