Sign in to follow this  
TaurusKev

The manual transmission Taurus Wagon everyone wants

Found this beauty that every Taurus/Sable owner will want in their driveway: 

https://utica.craigslist.org/cto/d/make-offer-rare-1987-taurus/6586056732.html

Images archived here: https://imgur.com/a/sFVcjv2

For archive purposes the ad goes as followed: 

MAKE OFFER. This is a rare 5 speed manual transmission 2.5L Engine 1987 Taurus MT5 Station Wagon. Around 50,000 miles on a Ford dealer replacement rebuilt engine.

One owner, purchased new. P/S. P/B. A/C. It had a power boost AM/FM/Cassette stereo front/rear sound system but the dash unit was removed for repair, speakers and cabling are still installed. Front bucket seats, mid split seat that drops for full "2 seater sports car" feel in a station wagon. This car rode nice, shifted smooth, and had 27mpg local and 33+ mpg on the highway. Low profile, took turns nice and tight. Wide sport wheels. Engine 2.5L Ford rebuilt replacement engine - this car had 6 year/unlimited miles warranty and suffered from the 2.5L 4-cylinder oil circulation issue that Ford had - never considered lemon law so the head gasket was replaced many times on the original engine until it could take it no more and Ford had to honor the warranty and replaced the engine at around 150,000 mile if I remember correctly. Now at a bit over 200,000 miles, but don't remember as there is a dead battery. So engine has around 50,000 miles on it. Was supposed to be a project car. Took it off the road at the beginning of winter years ago because of bad starter. Got the new starter and time to install it next season and the new starter was shorted. Got an exchange starter and never got the time to work on it. You can see by the pictures that rust has eaten it. Headlight acrylic is fogged and dirty but there is some fluid that clears old acrylic. Hood is left open because the latch was sticking due to age and didn't want it locked closed before repair. No doubt the CV boots are rotted. Front disc brakes and rear drum brakes. Rear drums are probably locked due to sitting awhile. Parked and never moved, so it is sunk in the ground. - !!!This car needs to be towed out!!! - 

The 5 speed was only offered for 2 years and discontinued. It can be adapted to auto transmissions by a knowledgeable mechanic.

Good for a project car of your own or parting out for one you already have. I listed this as lowest rating "fair" but not salvage car, but obviously cannot be driven - yet. 

To filter out scammers, please respond with name, direct email, and phone# or your request may be ignored.
Email through Craigslist with questions and/or your serious offer, and we can talk by phone.[/quote]

• Like 1

Rare bird, but rather worthless in that shape. Every panel has rust, the rear quarters have holes above the wheel arches, there's moss growing in the driver's foot well along with magical goop running down that kick panel. I'm sure the cancer runs deep through that car. Something tells me the floors aren't quite solid anymore either based on the rest of it.

The engine might be the most valuable thing there, but then who needs a 2.5 HSC at this point? That engine was unique only to Taurus and Sable. Maybe a Tempo or Topaz could have one swapped in, but who's got one of those? :D

Seeing that rear quarter panel reminded me of this gem:

1397448012912.jpg

Personally I wouldn't give them more than $100 for that wagon. The amount of effort and money that would be required to get that thing right would be laughably high and the only real value is to an enthusiast with deep enough pockets or a lot of time.

I'd rather walk than drive that.  That is driven by somebody who just didn't care.  What a shame.  I love manual transmissions.  I wish Ford made more manuals in vehicle like this.