Sign in to follow this  
mmmfloorpie

Done with Ford

I hate to be "that guy" but I really have to say this...

After it was announced in Ford's Q1 earnings report today that the Mustang and Focus Active will be the only passenger cars Ford will sell in the coming years, I'm done with Ford. I've only ever owned Fords and assumed I always would.

After years of driving Tauruses, I was really disillusioned when they brought out the Fusion and killed the mid sized Taurus. But then the Fusion became a respectable car, so I bought one... I still love it. Mulally hit it right on the head with One Ford and bringing the much better European models over here. Figured I'd always drive a Fusion. Guess that's not going to be the case.

It's astonishing how short sighted Ford has been. At the turn of the millennium, they were raking in the money with SUVs and pick ups and totally neglected their passenger car business. Gas prices rose and they practically went bankrupt. 20 years later and they are doing the exact same thing after they brought out some really good passenger cars. They sat on their laurels and left all the passenger cars on the vine to die with half assed warm over refreshes.

Therefore, I'm done. There's a new Camry. There's a new Accord. There's a refreshed Mazda6. There's a new Jetta. New Altima coming too I think. All these other companies can make it work, so why not Ford? Clearly they are a family of incompetent buffoons. Yes, it's a public company, but the Ford family has a controlling stake in it. So I'm done. Lots of better cars out there yet I remained loyal to them for some reason.

No longer.

Edited by mmmfloorpie

Up until August 2015, I have only owned Ford products. 2015 I bought my first GM (Oldsmobile). And I was loyal to Ford up until my Focus. Now I have a Mitsubishi, a Pontiac (Toyota), and a Buick.

I do like Fords still, but I still have a very bitter taste in my mouth with my 2012 Focus. Quite frankly, the fuel economy I saw in my Focus I am getting in my Vibe, which to me is a much nicer car in all honesty. So really I like the Toyota in it. Hate to say it, but if I were to buy future vehicles, I'd strongly consider Toyotas now as I've heard the hype of reliability and ease of maintenance, and sadly, they were right. I bought a Pontiac Vibe since my inlaws have one with over 200k miles, heavily abused and neglected, and it still refuses to give up, and the body is still in decent condition. I've worked on it a few times and each time it wasn't the worst thing in the world compared to working on any Ford I've owned.

However, I will say Ford is doing something that a lot of folks are doing: Abandoning the sedan/car. Mitsubishi is doing that by mainly offering SUV/CUV Options that sell, and one Econobox that one can buy and have a new car for cheap with great reliability. Ford as a business wants to make the most money, if money isn't in cars, just dump it and let someone else have that market. I see more Escapes, Explorers, Edges on the road than Fusions, Focuses, and Tauruses. I barely see a Taurus on the road sadly. Rewind about 15 years ago, I remember seeing Tauruses all over the road. I always wanted a Taurus because they had a beautiful design in the 80's/90's. It was a roomy practical car. The newest Taurus isn't the roomiest. It has that gigantic center console that takes away from some ability to spread out and relax on a long road trip. That deterred me from wanting one considering the price tag it came with.

I hope Ford reconsiders, but they are not discontinuing the car worldwide, just here in North America where they don't sell as well and there is a flood of competition of other makes and models that are competitive. I think GM is dancing since when Ford discontinued the Ranger, they sprung back with the Colorado and took a market Ford abandoned and possibly got people to consider and like GM products. 

Here's my take on Ford and the main factor I ended up in a FCA automobile.  I had every intention of buying a new Ford of some type when I could no longer trust the longevity of my Fusion after it's malfunction and repair.  Ford simply wasn't interested in selling me a car.  FCA had been sending me approval letters for months to tempt me into their showroom.  I had thought about a Charger before, but was really looking to get back into a Taurus.  My local dealer had no interest in selling me a Taurus.  They didn't even keep them up front....they were way in the back lot.  Was told you don't want any of these....they aren't very well equipped.  Wouldn't even give me the keys to one to decide for myself.  My first FCA dealer visit went about the same as Ford, but they just wanted big $$ down and to buy my trade super cheap, but they at least tried somewhat.  I drove 20 miles to a bigger city(nearly 100k in population) and bought my new 18 Charger.  I was in and out in two hours(that includes the test drive).  I did put a measely 250.00 down and they gave me a fair offer on my Fusion(still had some negative equity).  I tried to give Ford my business and they weren't interested, AT ALL.  I'm still Loving my new Charger.  The heft of it reminds me of my 09 Sable and it rides like a land yacht which I also like and it has that look.  Took it on a trip to Little Rock and got 30.7 mpg cruising 70-80mph.  There is a market for cool big sedans and people like me want to buy them.  The Taurus could be cool if Ford wanted to invest in it.  

I wondering how folks here would take this.

Ford is taking an enormous gamble here, I think.  They kind of set themselves up for this to happen, in a way - the Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and Taurus (Especially) are long in the tooth.  The Fiesta is the basis of the Ecosport, Focus is the Escape, the Taurus is the Explorer.  I could see them being able to bring the Mondeo back as the Fusion if there is another enormous demand for a sedan.  But just like when they dropped the Panther platform people crapped their pants and yet the sun still rose and set.  The Accord is being outsold by the CR-V.  Same with the Camry and RAV-4.  Gotta go after low-hanging fruit.  Hopefully they aren't shooting themselves in the foot.

12 hours ago, Jeff said:

Here's my take on Ford and the main factor I ended up in a FCA automobile.  I had every intention of buying a new Ford of some type when I could no longer trust the longevity of my Fusion after it's malfunction and repair.  Ford simply wasn't interested in selling me a car.  FCA had been sending me approval letters for months to tempt me into their showroom.  I had thought about a Charger before, but was really looking to get back into a Taurus.  My local dealer had no interest in selling me a Taurus.  They didn't even keep them up front....they were way in the back lot.  Was told you don't want any of these....they aren't very well equipped.  Wouldn't even give me the keys to one to decide for myself.  My first FCA dealer visit went about the same as Ford, but they just wanted big $$ down and to buy my trade super cheap, but they at least tried somewhat.  I drove 20 miles to a bigger city(nearly 100k in population) and bought my new 18 Charger.  I was in and out in two hours(that includes the test drive).  I did put a measely 250.00 down and they gave me a fair offer on my Fusion(still had some negative equity).  I tried to give Ford my business and they weren't interested, AT ALL.  I'm still Loving my new Charger.  The heft of it reminds me of my 09 Sable and it rides like a land yacht which I also like and it has that look.  Took it on a trip to Little Rock and got 30.7 mpg cruising 70-80mph.  There is a market for cool big sedans and people like me want to buy them.  The Taurus could be cool if Ford wanted to invest in it.  

A bad dealer doesn't make the manufacturer bad.  I was in and out with Lincoln with a grand total of about 40 minutes spent in the dealership.  

• Like 1

In my case, the buying experience of the 2012 Focus was amazing. The dealer was great and treated me well. It was the support factor.

I know now the Focus dual clutch transmission issues are resolved, even in my ownership there was a fix for it, but no dealer wanted to do the work. My dealer just gave me the runaround and kept flashing firmware at it or citing it as normal (Yes, it's very normal for a car to leak oil...), then I got involved with Ford Corporate customer service, they referred me to a dealer I have historically had a horrible experience with each time. They promised me they'd look at it first thing in the morning. When that promise fell short, that was a kick in the gut for me. It is sad because I wouldn't one day mind having an Explorer, those are nice and spacious, but I'd be scared knowing the dealerships around me suck. Kind of makes me hate the dealer model and wish that dealerships were owned by the company thus maybe more accountability (Maybe...)

I still loved the style and features my Focus did have, it was a "wagon" variety, and I personally love wagon style cars I love my Vibe due to being a spacious little car, I love my Roadmaster due to being a large spacious car, and I love my Endeavor again, for the space it offers. I think people are realizing that sedans aren't the most practical things in the world. Try hauling a 50 Inch TV from the store in a sedan. Many times it'll take time to get it in safely, and if you brought any passengers? They are screwed. Having a wagon (whether it be a station wagon, CUV/SUV, or hatchback) has benefits of being able to perform, and Americans have a negative image with station wagons for whatever weird reason so they love CUV/SUV's due to their size. I can attest that my wife loves driving the Mitsubishi Endeavor because it is higher up, it is spacious, and feels more confident on the road with it.

Sadly, in the market that exists now, things that aren't hot sellers cost companies money, thus why invest in it? V8's, RWD, Manual transmission, sedans, coupes, small cars, all things of the past. I loved how the Ford Focus was a compact car with features I would find on a luxury car such as heated seats and dual automatic climate control. But did people really care? Not sure. Ford isn't fully discontinuing these cars, just in North America. If demand comes back, they might bring it back. Bet you if Mustang demand ever begins to drop off, it'll be considered for the chop block too.

And as much as we avoid politics in this forum, I'll just say that with certain displeasure of goods being manufactured in other countries (Mexico, Canada, other) I also feel Ford just wants to be able to minimize attention by shifting production of the lower volume/sales cost vehicles from other countries to just discontinuing them all together. Lets leave it at that without bringing names into it.

Just now, TaurusKev said:

Lets leave it at that without bringing names into it.

OK here's a name..... KEVIN

• Like 1

Damnit, you figured it out!!!!

• Like 1

I like my mustang. . . I also like my Electric Focus... I like all the SUVs and trucks. My mom loves her C-Max. I like the new Focus Active too. I'll probably buy another mustang in the future. Looking into selling the electric car and buying a 2017 fusion energi platinum. I like them a lot and they're so inexpensive used...

If you are in the market for a midsize sedan Ford isn't for you anymore I guess. We'll see what the future holds.

Edited by breeves002

I do think its a bit of a silly move by Ford but technology has come so far and a lot of these new SUVs are getting much better fuel economy than even 10 years ago. The American auto brands are very good at building SUVs and trucks, they know this and they ride on it. I do think it would be cool if Ford could get back to the days of the 90's where the Explorer just steam rolled everything in front of it, almost a dozen different brands and no one could even come close to the Explorer. Ford just failed at anticipating a market shift...big time.

There is definitely something to say about buying a car from an American manufacturer, you as a car buying customer do not matter to them as much as a customer buying a truck. That's one of the reasons I felt so confident buying an F150, I could walk into any Ford dealership and if I'm dissatisfied loudly say "I' think I'm going to go check out a Chevy", and they would be all over me to do anything to make me happy, you do the same about a Fusion or whatever and they wouldn't care near as much. As a company Ford will do as much as possible to keep their truck customers happy...massive TSB support, huge extended warranties, you name it. And when they mess up everyone knows about it and they have to work extremely hard to gain trust back. Its all about the $ and that happens to come from trucks and SUVs.

With the new Expedition, Ranger, Bronco, EcoSport, possible Mini Bronco, and the Explorer going RWD it is pretty clear Ford is dead serious about bolstering its SUV lineup. I think a big indicator of how they are going to perform is going to be based on the Bronco, if it actually turns out to be big beefy square body off roader that can run with the Wranger then IMO they aren't messing around.

To say your done with Ford because they don't make cars is a bit silly, what if the day comes and you need a truck or a SUV, and you know they have the best vehicle on the market...your going to let the fact that they don't sell a mid-sized car influence your decision to buy a truck or SUV? Removing the Fusion completly did hit me as odd, I mean the Midsized car segment is really big and when the Aston Martin themed Fusion came out it sold extremely well, I would think that really put the confidence in Ford that they can produce a really nice car that people like.

Edited by Thub
  • Like 1

I noticed in the article I read that while Ford was dropping their sedan line, they were going to expand their crossover line. So the Mustang and Focus Active will be the only cars in the sedan segment but there will probably be more models in the crossover segment. Kind of a crappy move in my opinion and IMHO they are going to have issues down the road. I see Ford sedans everywhere around here. Especially the Focus.

The current gen Focus will end production in May 2018, the Taurus and Fiesta in early 2019, and the Fusion has no set cutoff date yet. 

Ford stock: while this is happening the S&P500 is up ~45%.

Somebody there has to do something. I am not a fan of Ford or any other company. I buy what fits my family needs. I have 2 Sables '03. Sedan daughter and her son drive 7 days a week and it works for them. My wagon is my hauler. Family car is '11 Buick Lucerne. Buick has column shift which is our needs for seat belt fastening. When my Sable sedan gets too far down the road, rust or high miles, I will go south for another like kind. Low miles no rust will cost $$ but it meets family needs. Cheap reliable transport.

-chart-

FordStk.jpg

While I find it funny for a company to drop a few major lines like that, there’s some people it’ll never affect, like myself. 

Could I see myself driving a Fusion? Sure. Problem is, I’m not in the market for new. It would likely be used. On top of that, I like longetivity. I don’t foresee getting rid of either of my two cars any time soon. The ‘97 has been reliable and even if a major repair cropped up, it would still probably be cheaper for me to repair it than to get a replacement.

If I were to shop newer, I’d still probably be looking at used Panthers anyway. 

Edited by Kodachrome Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Normally I try to act mature and provide a reasoned explanation for my thoughts... After absorbing the initial shock, I thought "maybe if the Focus Active is a decent car I'll get that" (bargaining is one of the stages of grief lol), but after seeing this today:

Focus Active Not Coming to Canada After All

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/no-focus-active-canadian-market/64642/

All I can say is... Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford, Fuck Ford.

I've totally had it now.

Wow I can't see why they wouldn't bring the Focus Active here. The Town and Country cost a little over $100 to fill the other day and gas is expected to go to around $2.00/L in BC. I couldn't imagine trying to run a pickup now.