Sign in to follow this  
Thub

3.5L Ecoboost Spark Plug Change

As the title suggests this is a quick overview of a spark plug replacement on a 3.5L Ecoboost...RWD application.

Really this job has got to be one of the easiest spark plug jobs on a V configuration. The most basic ratchet and socket set will get the job done with no special tools or real tricks.

Once the engine cover is removed by simply pulling it off, the coils are all right there and easily accessible.  I started on the passengers side, those heater hoses are kinda in the way but you can still get a 3/8" ratchet and 6" extension back there.

nKCVnYK.jpg

Drivers side bank has a few more things in the way, that PCV hose has to be removed and the electrical connector to the fuel pump has to be disconnected.

gCVaw4s.jpg

The 2 coils around the fuel pump were the most difficult, both stuck in place and needed a little extra effort to pop off.

rSavdIw.jpg

The coil behind the fuel pump was the hardest to pop out, because some ass hat decided to mess up the rubber seal and let it fold over on itself.

VLRBuo1.jpg

Job done. I know these plugs are not the original (they are the updated style) and the truck has almost exactly 50k miles on it. So this engine is on its 3rd set of plugs. Ford specs a gap of .030 in for the ecoboost .028 for tuned engines. The old plugs all checked out around .035 to .038. the new plugs were all unable to pass a .032 in feeler gauge. I could have let those plugs go a while longer but with not knowing when or if they were done, the ecoboosts terrible track record with spark plugs, and 2 cross county trips coming up this summer I wanted to make sure something stupid like a spark plug isn't going to mess anything up. 

These new SP534 MC plugs appear to be made by NGK, stamped JAPAN on the plug. Maybe next time I'll buy the NGK plugs and save some money. I've always been impressed with NGK plugs, they are top notch in my book. I used the NGK equivalent in the so called "ultra picky" Skyactive engine and my sister has yet to have an issue. 

ref4Ykc.jpg

Edited by Thub
  • Like 4