Sign in to follow this  
jc_oo5

Need advice on reuphostery

I have a gen 3 Taurus and I want to reupholster the headliner and my double sun visors. 

Does anyone know the best way to reupholster the  headliner. Should I pull off the old headliner material or should I glue the new headliner material to the old.

What is the best easiest way to take the visors apart to install to install the headliner material.

I personally redid my Thunderbird's headliner. I removed the headliner from the cardboard cutout, and used a wire brush gently to get it all off. Then, I found (shockingly) at Jo-Ann fabrics the right color and headliner. Got that and O'Reilly's sold the Upholstery glue that I heavily coated both sides, and it still looks great!

The visors I think will be harder, those are stitched together, so you'd have to be good at sewing/making things. Gotta cut the old one off carefully, then cut a piece of fabric to cover it and all its many curves, and stitch it back together. 

Our headliners are like a thin foamboard with a thin fabric glued to it.

If the fabric is smooth and well adhered, I think I would be inclined to just glue another layer of thin fabric over the top of the existing liner.

Thanks guys for the replys. When I first tried to reupholster the headliner I messed it up.  Like Zen said it headliner material over foam over fiberglass mat.

I did it Kevs way months ago thinking I could scrape off the fiam and it would be fiberboard or something. Once you remove the foam you remove the strenght from the mat and its like a sheet of constrution paper. I was tempted back then to use resin and hardener but I thougth how could I get it in the car. 

I going to go to the jk and pull doen a scape headliner and peal off the carpet material. If the foam stays on ill do it like that if foam comes off in chunks i will do it zens way.

Why don't you skip the JY, bring some money to my house, and drive home a gray '96 SHO with a JBL sound system?

Body is rusty but drivetrain is strong. Planning on moving soon and just need the car gone.

I am in Lombard Illinois.