Bull Geek

96-01 Explorer/mountaineer Information & Message Center

I know Lincolns have had technology like this since what? the 80s or so?

in 1995, Ford introduced Gen 2 of the Explorer and with that, the information center that was infront of the cup holders.

w002.jpg

So now I have to wonder, how possible would it be to wire this up to a Taurus.

And I also wonder if the same thing from an Explorer/Mountaineer, the overhead instrumentation...that has the compass and the temperature display:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Ford-EXPLORER-SPORT-Information-Center-Light-PnL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c10233810QQitemZ120529827856QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The overhead display/console came in two flavors: with garage door opener storage (could be modified for sunglasses as well) or with a moonroof button.

Seems like potential is there...now to find wiring diagrams and see how it works.

Here you go :)

console.png

Didn't see any diagrams for 01 Explorer/Mountaineer, but found one for 00.

OKay Looking at this... How does it calculate fuel consumption? All I see is VSS but i don't see anything for the fuel gauge or anything of that sort.

I think all it does is it uses OAT + VSS to calculate speed. Then it calculates the average MPG for whichever engine it came equipped with. So I would have a problem with it, if it was in a Ford Taurus, with a Duratec, it'd probably think it was paired with a V8, and calculate V8 Mpg.

You put the overhead console circuitry up. Usually, the cars with some sort of MPG trip calculator tap into the fuel injection circuitry at the engine computer to get an idea of the duty cycle of the injectors to calculate MPG.

Tim

You know what'd be cool? Swapping a Gen2 Digital Instrument Cluster into a Gen3/4. I bet it can be done... Just, who has the patience to figure it out, and make the proper adjustments. I need a bigger driveway, and more money, so I can attempt this too...

i have been thinking about something like this for a while for my moms 07. but only for temp and compass. she likes how my car tells you the temp outside well i thought it would be cool to set it up on the headliner with exterior temp, interior temp (possible vents or ambient not sure), and a compass. havent really looked into it much yet though...

Thanks for posting this up Kevin. Heck maybe I should just buy an Explorer, lol. But I will need to figure out the OAT/Comp part for mounting in the roof...if I do persue this. Will be tough since I have the factory moonroof/maplight buttons in the way.

Customize an overhead console out of resin or 'glass, that'd do the trick for installing this in your Taurus. ;)