Sign in to follow this  
akmarch

Motorcraft OEM Battery Warranty

It's been a few years since I've logged in here, but am looking for some insight.

I no longer have my 2004 Taurus (was tough to let it go), and now have a 2016 Fusion.  My 12V battery recently died and I had to have it replaced.  It was the original battery for the car, which has been in service for just under two and a half years.  The OEM battery is the Motorcraft Tough Max battery, which has a three year warranty.  My dealer told me that a replacement would not be covered because my bumper to bumper warranty expired based on mileage.  I was also told that if I'd purchased the battery separate from the car, it would have been covered for three years under the battery's warranty, which wouldn't have a mileage component.  It seems to me that if the battery has its own warranty coverage, car's warranty wouldn't supersede it.

Does this make sense?  Has anyone else dealt with this?

Edited by akmarch

Yes, on an OEM battery the bumper to bumper warranty is the only warranty offered.  On retail battery purchases the battery warranty applies.

Jeff

Yep, personally I have had great luck with batteries from O'Reillys, and they are generally cheaper too. Already gotten 3+ years out of a few easily. 

On my 14 Fusion, I swapped out the OEM battery for a group 48 Super Start Platinum AGM battery from OReilly.  It offered the most cold cranking amps available and is still spec'd to fit the 2g fusion.  3 year free replacement.  Nothing was wrong with my OEM battery, but it was going on 4 years old and I changed as preventative maintenance.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
Fix error

Thanks for the input.  I called Ford today and was told that the dealer should have covered it.  I called the dealer back and was told that Ford was wrong.  I have a case open with Ford.  We shall see.

If you have all the booklets that came with the car, there should be one that outlines warranty coverage.

I agree with your dealer that the bumper to bumper applies, not any separate warranty on the battery.

You should join the 2gFusions forums. A lot of old members here who bought Fusions are on there.

http://www.2gfusions.net/member.php?action=register&referrer=1392

The dealer eventually got back with me and they agreed to split the cost of the battery with me.  I'll take it.

Thanks for the referral - I'll have to check it out!