Sign in to follow this  
jc_oo5

Questions about 6g altenator

I want a cheap way to upgrade my alternator to a High output alternator without the big price tag. I was thinking about getting a 6g alternator from a police Crown Vic 04 + that puts out about 200 amps. My question is would an 6g alternator from a 04 + Crown Vic would fit in a 97 sho.  My other question is the Crown Vic 03+ alt is pcm controlled can it be converted to work with our cars with a voltage regulator. I came across these article on crown vic website about install 6g alts in different Crown Vics.

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/alternator/convert4g6g/index.html

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/alternator/mitsubishi/upgrade/index.html

So the mounting is totally different between a 4.6 V8 and the SHO V8. You’d have to do some serious modification to the case to make it even remotely close to working. 

I know 2vModular was working a module to generate the signal to get the later PCM style alternators to charge on a non-PCM controlled Panther, however I believe he passed away before that project was fully completed. 

FqMH3pszXLbFwgkDpd73e-QaS29K5Pa-IN8Vu8cq0wg5lD140kkkmmFmZSBtjuvgsIIx-DcM7dJXC7tG0o7k3q9vyZuR-6iQ5IMs4IaultGnMFHoNMvPYqVcQCkyuGdB_p-CaFn2

dY9e6-bYJ84uU7od_Zy-tfANeKW6ZstGNUCF6zqfT8h-A-RKQ6P0PLuX9fNVswART3V5tqAFtieYG6sAo7lYho84-78XJDnnJANIsUZLQMStHy7SPwhxxStHnxBXg4YbqeqUFKTy

j6U8_CGB3K3SxZoy_drUxjQbJkWeedGkcmptVE63XkUyHnODo_zT68ctb0Yq07i36OUKcnK30Ja6bKcDjp5rlp4JgJ4FuX66cgldgic7WhtLU-Wi0UwfSxxoxlh0Uzi2-lhv20qF

ldHx_XVx7x5RchiufqOTE3bG_m64gFO4zsZtfrtcVG4tnv-KEkY8_1gulz8fHsSqzw7qa7uXYBcc7EEdN07fq_t2dhAKd2ddDBgHnrueeT5opPBlXvB_6RYWH20ww19Lq4Lx5QZ7

These are some of the pics of the voltage regulator they made.

So I would have to take the gen 3 alt cradle bracket and the crown vic alt cradle bracket and see how to mod them.

4.6s don’t have a cradle. The 3G and up series bolt onto the area above the water pump and a bracket goes on top that bolts to the intake manifold.

51x1NxwfOTL._SY355_.jpg

There’s a 6G for reference. Given the SHOs mounting type using the three holes with bolts passing through it, maybe you should check out some non-Modular applications. Some PowerStrokes used a similar setup, and so did some Rangers. 

Something tells me you’d be doing serious fabrication to make a later Panther alternator work.