• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rohand901

Vulcan roller rockers

27 posts in this topic

So, as it's me, and I'm never content with anything I do, it's time to attempt to add moar power to the vulcan't. Or die trying.

I had the opportunity to buy two sets of rockers from the late "rudedog" from Tcca. These are crane 1.7 rockers with studs and guide plates.

To avoid the headaches of morana and machining pedestal mount ones, this is the route I always wanted to take.

These pictures are from a quick test fit I did today after saying "there ain't no way in hell this is gonna work" and it might work.

I have to tap new threads into the head as these studs are an SAE thread and the vulcan is metric. 22c49e396107570a7209c019c2e26f87.jpgce74a9021bdb663e3afb6df8acd9db02.jpg2fa16cb0a6a17ac29aa0fa07e6c4f325.jpgc9fc7b81e1a0ac860cc7610aa2b7ad06.jpg

I'll update this as we go.

Sent from my Pocket Potato

2 people like this

Lol, I can't wait to see how this one turns out too :D

3 people like this

Oh dear. This will be interesting.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, TaurusKev said:

Lol, I can't wait to see how this one turns out too :D

8 minutes ago, Angrod said:

Oh dear. This will be interesting.

Literally ZERO confidence from the peanut gallery. Don't worry, there will be plenty of bent pushrods to go around!

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Rohand901 said:

Literally ZERO confidence from the peanut gallery. Don't worry, there will be plenty of bent pushrods to go around!

Just remember this one thing from my experience trying to install roller rocker arms on a Vulcan... $938. Know that there are at least 938 good reasons to take your time and assemble those heads properly. 

1 person likes this

You can get a complete long block at the junkyard for like $300. And I'm not worried, pushrod engines are pretty hard to fuck up

2 people like this

39f05e3f933a1d952866d30a1c177864.jpg

After much bumblefuckery around on the OTHER site, I believe these to be the "Fredness" kit. The dude who ran stuffforyourranger and rogueperformance websites for the rangers.

Most of the info is over 10 years old, and all of the links are broken and all of the pictures are missing.

"Build a taurus they said, it'll be fun they said"

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Rohand901 said:

Most of the info is over 10 years old, and all of the links are broken and all of the pictures are missing.

Sounds like a lot of the old builds on CVN. Go to see something that sounds cool and the page is rendered generally useless. Just going based on the text only gets you so far. I feel your pain there.

4 hours ago, Rohand901 said:

"Build a taurus Vulcan they said, it'll be fun they said"

They're either reliable or bitchy. Hopefully it'll act nicely once you're done.

1 person likes this

Bumblefuckery... excellent word ! Might have to use is now and then. 

1 person likes this

:popcorn:

4 people like this

Hmm don't know that the gains are worth the risk...but interesting non the less.  Hope it works out.

33 minutes ago, Chrome2infinity said:

Hmm don't know that the gains are worth the risk...but interesting non the less.  Hope it works out.

I don't even know if its about the gains anymore. I don't think there's actually any to be had with the boat motor of a vulcan. But I couldn't let these parts go away, they were gonna get tossed in the bin if I didn't pick them up.
The one set is brand new and never even been run. 
And if this doesn't work, im sure they will be fine collecting dust on my shelf until a 351W or a 302 rolls into my life as im sure it will eventually. They are the same parts after all

3 people like this

24 minutes ago, Rohand901 said:

And if this doesn't work, im sure they will be fine collecting dust on my shelf until a 351W or a 302 rolls into my life as im sure it will eventually. They are the same parts after all

You do need a 5.0 Fox. 

Having rode in Rudy's car, I can attest that his Vulcan had the ever allusive "moar powah". Rudy was a very large man and his Gen 2 Vulcan would keep pace with my tuned '99 SE Duratec. 

4 people like this

On 3/23/2017 at 9:37 AM, Brian_05_SEL said:

You do need a 5.0 Fox Panther. 

FTFY

4 people like this

13 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

FTFY

I mean, you're not wrong. That UGLY wagon that nick is selling for gary has its appeal as a gutted and caged drift missile

3 people like this

19 minutes ago, Rohand901 said:

I mean, you're not wrong. That UGLY wagon that nick is selling for gary has its appeal as a gutted and caged drift missile

Buy it and I'll gladly take any spare components that you remove from it that you don't need. :)

It would not be hard to get power out of that 302 with a few upgrades and the rest of the drivetrain is archaically simple.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Buy it and I'll gladly take any spare components that you remove from it that you don't need. :)

It would not be hard to get power out of that 302 with a few upgrades  Junkyard 6.0 LS swap and the rest of the drivetrain is archaically simple.

FTFY

2 people like this

I say do it! My Roadmaster is pretty damn quick with the LT1 with a shitty OptiSpark... Can only Imagine a Country Squire with an LS V8 :wub: 

1 person likes this

What's the status update on the Vulcan I want to do this to my Taurus for moar powah! Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

You've got good timing@jaybrooks I just did the install on these over my long weekend. And a handful of other back maintenance.

0c69f806f00012b5d299b5316244d394.jpg3ad5fb6fc70ef805e82ad6fd80b72fa0.jpg56bb3ca2e8b3c60c492da1118a141065.jpgeb41b4fdd95f14a97d706abb0b86404d.jpg716bc40ff45a1ba9aab1a22eed4908c9.jpgd167d312c461da5cc08d5e751f645ad5.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Wow that's looks great how many hour did that take for you to get this done because I want to do this for my Vulcan ... vulcans are misunderstood sleepers and durable

12 minutes ago, Jaybrooks said:

vulcans are durable

^fixed that for you

Leave yourself a day, a good 6 hour block of time. It shouldn't take that long but take your time.
If you've never done engine work I wouldn't recommend it, This style of rocker requires manual lifter preload and its very easy to make them too tight and damage the lifters.
In addition you have to re-tap the head and shavings in the oil are never good.

I will say that it frees up the top end alot, you get some more useable RPM above 4800 which is nice, but it doesn't make it into a "performance" anything and hardly a sleeper

4 people like this

4800 rpm is really good on a Taurus Vulcan did you take out the rev limiter?

42 minutes ago, Jaybrooks said:

4800 rpm is really good on a Taurus Vulcan did you take out the rev limiter?

Stock rev limiter on a gen 4.5 is 5800 rpm. The vulcan heads don't flow very well up that high though