Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mmmfloorpie

Opinions on my dealership

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, I know I drive a Fusion now and no longer have my Taurus but I feel like this is my "home" car forum and value your opinions. My car was recently at the dealership for some warranty work and I got a bit of a surprise when I picked up the car today. The following is from a post I made on a Fusion forum I'm a member of:

My Fusion went in to the dealer to fix the side mirrors (per a TSB for unwanted movement in wet weather) and to diagnose a chugging type sound at idle.

I dropped the car off Thursday morning. I told the service advisor that the last time I had them look at the chugging (the previous week) that they took it for a test drive but the issue ONLY occurs at idle. I told him to test the car just idling and I even left a video on a USB thumbdrive.

So at the end of each day I kept calling. "We just need your car for another day". "Another day" turned into 5 days (Thursday - end of day Monday).

When the car went in, it was spotless. Completely full tank. I reset my trip computer when I get gas because I track mileage. It is roughly 20 kms to the dealership so I know roughly what my car had on it when it went in.

When I got the car back today, I noticed it was covered in salt like it had been driven quite a bit. I checked the trip computer and saw there was now around 80kms more that had been put on the car than when I dropped it off.

As a result, I have been reviewing my dash cam footage...

Turns out the tech drove my car home and kept it there over night for one of the days. Since I have GPS on the cam, I know exactly where he lives and it's pretty far out in the boons.

The next day, he took it around running all sorts of errands. Going to get coffee and then KFC and then Arby's and then some other assorted errands. The car basically sat in the garage over the weekend and then it looks like he worked on it a bit more today.

What I need you guys to tell me is whether or not this behaviour is justified for an issue that only happens at idle and an issue with the side mirrors.

Would this behaviour ever be typical? I can see if they were trying to see if an issue was recurring or not, but is it EVER appropriate for a tech to take it to their home over night?

Should I be kicking up a lot of fuss about this or just call it justified and move on?

I really don't know which way to go on this.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions or thoughts you can offer. I really don't know whether to be mad or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see no reason for a tech to take a car home tbh. Even if they had to test drive it, they could have test driven it during work. And even if it was for testing purposes, they should have left the vehicle in the same condition or better. I would at least speak to a service manager to see if that is standard operating procedure for their techs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While not very common, overnight diagnostic test drives are still an accepted practice for a technician who has to figure out an intermittent problem. The service manager should already be aware that it happened, and would have signed off with his approval first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they ask you if they could take it home?

And Ehh 50 total Miles / 80 KM is a little high for my liking for some one to take my car home.  But I would bitch cause you did not receive it in the same condition you left it in.

 

And the better question, did they fix the chugging?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gentz said:

Did they ask you if they could take it home?

And Ehh 50 total Miles / 80 KM is a little high for my liking for some one to take my car home.  But I would bitch cause you did not receive it in the same condition you left it in.

 

And the better question, did they fix the chugging?

I agree that it's a little high. The guy lives pretty far away from the dealership.

I haven't heard the chugging yet but it was intermittent before so... I've not driven it that much since either.

I thought about it and was pretty much "over it". But I've since been telling members of my family about it and they all think it's a pretty big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mmmfloorpie said:

I agree that it's a little high. The guy lives pretty far away from the dealership.

I haven't heard the chugging yet but it was intermittent before so... I've not driven it that much since either.

I thought about it and was pretty much "over it". But I've since been telling members of my family about it and they all think it's a pretty big deal.

Meh that sucks.. Honestly in reverse I occasionally hear a whining with mine. If i take it out of reverse and put it back in it generally goes away. So I don't know, i honestly can't wait for my lease to be up. 2016 Flex with the appearance package here i come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gentz said:

 2016 Flex with the appearance package here i come.

Ecoboost! Ecoboost! Because who doesn't want a brick that will run 12.6 in the quarter mile with a tune

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SHOenough said:

Ecoboost! Ecoboost! Because who doesn't want a brick that will run 12.6 in the quarter mile with a tune

Haha Around here I have a better chance of finding a unicorn, than an EB Flex with the appearance package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gentz said:

Haha Around here I have a better chance of finding a unicorn, than an EB Flex with the appearance package.

Custom order? Trust me, that 3.5TT is worth it. Even if you keep it stock, it's still worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SHOenough said:

Custom order? Trust me, that 3.5TT is worth it. Even if you keep it stock, it's still worth it.

I'd want to pick up a used one, let some one else take a hit. So finding one is hard. :-) I don't want to hijack this thread though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should have washed and cleaned the car before giving it back to you, I for sure would have complained about that.

Did they at least give you a decent loaner car.

My friend just had his base model Mazda CX5 at the dealer for 2 weeks and he was given a fully loaded Subaru Forester as a loaner no questions asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Thub said:

They should have washed and cleaned the car before giving it back to you, I for sure would have complained about that.

Did they at least give you a decent loaner car.

My friend just had his base model Mazda CX5 at the dealer for 2 weeks and he was given a fully loaded Subaru Forester as a loaner no questions asked.

Base 2016 Focus... I cried when I got ny car back after 5 days in that thing lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×