PyroSoldat

Issues with HIGH RPM

Hi Taurus/Sable Owners,

I require your assistance figuring out my 02 Sable OHV problem. It all started after a snow storm I was driving and pulled over to clean a car as a favor, When I turned on the car it was really rough, I drove it like that back home and few days later went to the mechanic [Mechanic said code P0302] (It was inactive till it went to the mechanic). The mechanic changed the Coil Pack, and I drove it back home but it had a similar issue, while driving I noticed it didn't exactly stop at the stop signs it hesitates jerks forward (brakes try to hold it) and if I let go of the brake it moves by itself going to about 15-20 mph. Now parked in a spot if I turn it on, on Park it goes to 2000RPM same in OD and Drive, yet in Reverse it drops to 1000 RPM. 

I really need a cheap fix for the problem, no cash atm for mechanic.

You have a vacuum leak on your intake manifold. There is a round valve on it close to the firewall which you can seal with silicone sealer as a temporary fix. 

The permanent repair is to replace the O-Ring that is in the valve which has failed. 

I don't think he has an IMRC. His car is a 2002 and the redesigned intake was introduced in 2004. I was thinking vacuum leak too but a vac leak usually doesn't make the engine idle high. Maybe the idle air valve (or throttle) is stuck open? Or maybe the throttle sensor is bad?

• Like 1

Thanks for that info but a vac leak can cause high idle problems the same as in carbureted cars. Yes, his ICV might be gummed up. 

Absolutely. My '04 takes a $50 PCV that is wired to the ECU, but it really made a big difference. 

What I have done is clean the egr valve with cleaner, and I tried to take out the PCV valve and I broke the PCV valve elbow, it was brittle. Is there anything besides that elbow I can replace it with that is not going to get brittle like a heavy duty plastic? Also it seems mechanics broke the Air Filter housing fastener,but if that would be the problem it would of affected me a long time ago. I am so lost on what has to be done, I even checked the "reachable" hoses that move air around.

P.S. Angrod, that is a really nice taurus!!

I fixed the issue, replaced the pvc elbow cleaned the gunk with a carb cleaner and replaced the air housing holders. No problems so far even though its smogging a lot more but im sure ill find the reason for that down the road no codes, but I need to purchase a better obd scanner. The cheap one I got off online only gives access to codes, but im good.... 30 dollar repair max,  I did go in there and get my hands dirty though.