Ocelot10

hole in my '95 rear bumper cover

1995 SE, body coloured bumper cover.

My bicycle fell over, the handlebar punched through the bumper cover behind the right-rear wheel well right on top of the beltline where it meets the body.

I have all of the broken bits to make a complete puzzle, 

Can someone tell me which, below, is the make-up of the plastic in the bumper cover?

1. TPO - Sands in chunks, melts like butter with high speed grinders, feels like wax and gets stringy when hot.
  2. Thermo-Set - Flexible or Rigid, sands powdery, does not melt with high speed grinders and easy to repair.
  3. SMC- Sheet molded Compound - New Corvettes have it and looks like fiberglass with white powder. We will cover SMC in another article.
  4. Poly propylene - RV Water Tanks, Dirt Bike Fenders - Not recommended for repairing or painting.

Those bumpers were made of really soft rubber type plastic.  They all break.  I'd just replace it with a new ABS hard plastic one.  They can be had pretty reasonable but then again you'd need it painted.  My two cents is once it's fractured it will continue to so so as its brittle from age.  You could try repairing it but I bet would damage it further.

Those bumpers were made of really soft rubber type plastic.  They all break.  I'd just replace it with a new ABS hard plastic one.  They can be had pretty reasonable but then again you'd need it painted.  My two cents is once it's fractured it will continue to so so as its brittle from age.  You could try repairing it but I bet would damage it further.

Rockauto for a replacement.

• Like 1