• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thub

Electrical system goes totally dead.

6 posts in this topic

As the title says I have experienced an interesting issue on the 2002 several times now. It has happened when going to start the car and when I shut the car off.

The car will unlock and all power is present and working, I go to turn the key and once I hit start, the starter clicks and everything goes dead. I pulled the key out and back in and cycled the ignition a few times, and then the power came back and it started right up. It also happened once when I shut the car off, just went totally dead, no interior lights, power antenna didn't retract, just dead.

I checked all the major connections under the hood, mega fuse block, and the fuse panel/GEM area under the dash, nothing looked out of the ordinary or loose.

Has anybody else ever heard of this ever happening?

I have never had everything go dead like that. However, I have had issues where the car would crank slow or when I got out and tried to lock the doors it would get stuck in the lock action and the parking lights would stay lit. Turns out in my case it is dirty battery terminals.

Ok so I'm reviving this topic because suddenly the 2002 has started to act up again, randomly loosing all electric power.

1st off I did just get the car washed yesterday, not sure if that would effect it but you never know.

So the car will start and run fine when it wants to start but when it decides to not it looses all power.

Say the car was just running and I shut it down, sometimes it will die right then and all electric power is gone. Other times it will act up when the car is being started, it will have all the power even in run, but once that key hits start it clicks and all power is gone. It can take several minuets to come back, of opening and closing the door and cycling the key. Then it starts fine.

Things I have noticed:

The theft light seems to still faintly light up when trying to cycle the key, but nothing else has power.

I watched the speedometer act all jumpy tonight when the car is in Drive and I'm on the brakes not moving, Id say is bouncing around 5-8mph from 0-10mph and back and forth. Put it in neutral and it stops.

Turn signals flash at different speeds, they can vary from second to second, speed up and slow down. I think it maybe be due to that EP34 relay for the LEDs. (Thinking of going back to stock incandescent bulbs and the factory relay to see if that helps)

This is highly annoying and I just can't seem to figure anything out on this, Ive checked all the basic stuff, I was thinking of swapping the radio out and putting a different one in since this one has a funky volume issue (who knows I'm grasping at straws here). Next I might pull the door accordion apart and check those wires. I just don't have the time for this and the lovely winter weather makes it harder. If anyone has any ideas I'm listening.

Since everything in the car seems to be affected I'm going to go with something large under the hood. My first guess would be a bad battery. Maybe one or two cells aren't up to par and are causing a bad voltage drop situation. Or maybe the alternator has a serious issue (unlikely though by the sound of it.) Perhaps the ignition switch has a problem. Or maybe the PCM has come loose and the screw needs to be tightened.

Just some things I would look at to start chasing the gremlins down.

4 hours ago, Angrod said:

My first guess would be a bad battery.

Or Battery terminals. My old '97 died one day, complete no power. Then it just started right back up again. Made it about half a mile and dead.

Ended up replacing the battery terminals by the side of the road and all was well!

on several of my SHO's this was a problem. Once the car is running, the alternator takes over supplying electricity. Once the car is off, power comes from battery only.

I cut off the battery terminals, SOLDER on new ones, and never have the problem again, plus I swear the starter cranks faster afterwards too.