• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rohand901

Vulcan MTX swap FAQ

86 posts in this topic

Very Impressive Dan.

Curious, how low does that shift body sit...whats the clearance directly under it to the road?

10 hours ago, Thub said:

Very Impressive Dan.

Curious, how low does that shift body sit...whats the clearance directly under it to the road?

Thanks!

I took this quick when I got to work, its actually higher than I thought it would be. doesn't hang much lower than the surrounding body, and is probably at the same level as the bottom of the stock resonator would be on a stock car.

IMG_20161201_081805731_zpsmtdpsd6k.jpg
-

Also, other updates. Been driving it everyday, and it feels good to have this car back. fighting with a few tune related issues and a few "wtf taurus?" issues.
BUT, I have cruise control again. so thats a plus!

IMG_20161129_080223974_zps8mxnzxow.jpg

Also kinda had to get creative with the Transmission Range Sensor. Apparently, the PCM still needed to see that the car was in "Park" to allow it to start.
IMG_20161128_184437005_zpslccwikks.jpg

It's getting there, slowly.
I could also use some help brainstorming and troubleshooting why the cooling fans are on ALL THE TIME, after you start the engine. Pulled up all the diagrams on alldata and the only thing I can figure is that I have a short somewhere. It does it on the stock tune as well

2 people like this

Is it noticeably quicker with the 5-speed MT? Finding that those five gears from the SHO transaxle are a good match with Mad Vulcan Torque? 

1 person likes this

53 minutes ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

Is it noticeably quicker with the 5-speed MT? Finding that those five gears from the SHO transaxle are a good match with Mad Vulcan Torque? 

Sure? I mean like to 60 or 70 maybe yeah, the aerodynamics of this rolling brick kinda take over and hamper efforts from then on

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Rohand901 said:

Sure? I mean like to 60 or 70 maybe yeah, the aerodynamics of this rolling brick kinda take over and hamper efforts from then on

Sounds like another brick that I know of. I think your car might cut the air better than that one, I promise. :D

2 people like this

Alright, I've been working through some of the bugs on the swap and figured i'd update.

The stock dogbone/torque mount thing is really shitty. like really super shitty. Its only decent in stock form because the ax4n shifts with all the firmness of.....custard on a hot summers day or perhaps sour cream...

So the issue I was having was a "bang" on every shift as the engine/trans combo rocked back and forth and bottomed the mount out, and I was basically unable to get it rolling in reverse without a horrendous shudder from the engine/trans combo rocking back and forth like 3 inches in the mount.
(read back up, Jeff told me this would happen)
The common fix in the ricer tuner world is to replace the torque mount with polyurethane. Which I've done, no thanks to our expansive awful aftermarket support.

Burned the stock bushing out, made a mold, filled it with 90A polyurethane, fixed all my issues. Car feels awesome. I purchased a similar mount for the focus some months back and it made all the difference as well.
IMG_20161206_182207851_zpswo6nbfcs.jpg
-
IMG_20161206_182214336_zpsrt6sah6f.jpg
-
IMG_20161206_182723748_zps6xxhud2d.jpg
-
I may do the small one on the other end of the dogbone, but seeing as how this car has poly and aluminum bushings erry'where else, a little vibration damping is my friend, and it seems to be fine with just the one.

6 people like this

Long overdue update, as it's time to get this turd inspected.

I'm running into an issue getting all the monitors to complete, and it's not because of the tune. It's because I have a P1500 VSS fault. Because of course I do.

It's got a noisy signal at low vehicle speed and I'm working to suppress it with some ferrite chokes and various forms of swearing. If all else fails, I'll be building a tone ring to weld onto the jackshaft and using the stock ATX vss. I'll be back into the roller rockers once I get this thing through emissions. f43bb2cc6be0705a57dfb64da50f69b4.jpg

Sent from my Pocket Potato

54840bb07c428ef9a24b8fc21589a45d.jpg

New tune is in. Can't say enough good things about American Motorsport. He is working with me to get this car right for no additional cost.

Now to see if enough drive cycles set the rest of the obd2 monitors. My problem is that my daily commute is 50 miles. So I get the mileage part down pat, but never enough warm-up cycles.

1 person likes this

*Grumble grumble* I left an essential sensor in here. 65f68157709c21eb863bf47c43c66c2f.jpg

1 person likes this

What was that?

What was that?

I needed the trans temp sensor and the wiring. It was the only code still being triggered by the PCM. And plugging that back in fixed my cooling fans on all the time problem. Im still working the problem with the monitors, there's gotta be something big I'm missing

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this