I have a 2002 sable wagon gs small v6, got a starter motor from rock auto and installed it. when I connected the ground to the battery the starter motor just started turning over, no key was even in the ignition so I disconnected the ground. I got the key turned it on and connected the battery and the motor started, when I turned the key off the motor stopped but the starter motor kept running. I installed the motor just the way the old one came out, I'm not a mechanic but a pretty good parts changer I'm wondering if I did something wrong or I just got a bad starter.

thanks for any help.

slowmover

Did you verify that you didn't accidentally hook up the 12 Volt Constant wire to the wrong Starter solenoid post? Should be 3 studs off the starter solenoid. 2 are generally the exact same size, 1 is smaller.

The solenoid post closest to the starter is just that, it's for the starter, the one away from the starter itself, that takes the 12 Volt cable coming off the battery, the smaller wire should go to the smaller terminal.

thanks for the info. I think I hooked them up right but I'll change them and see what happens.

been busy and haven't had a chance today, do it tomorrow. thanks again.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, slowmover said:

thanks for the info. I think I hooked them up right but I'll change them and see what happens.

been busy and haven't had a chance today, do it tomorrow. thanks again.

I hooked them up right so I guess it's a bad starter, thanks again