Sign in to follow this  
Thub

2017 Ford E Series to get 6.2L Boss V8

I found this kinda neat, the E-series is getting one last update before it says goodbye. Must be due to the fact that Ford has officially ended production of the 5.4L Triton.

The E3/450 will offer the 6.8L V10 and the 6.2L V8. I'm sure it will be detuned from what the power is in the F Series trucks but that's still big V8 power.

Its an older media release but I bet no one is really paying attention to the E Series at this point.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/03/01/2017-ford-transit-lineup-new-engine-for-e-series-chassis-cutaway.html

Poor Econoline :(

From what I hear from my coworkers, the ones who went from the E-250 to the Transit-250 regret it. Sure I bet the fleet management loves the fuel savings, but comfort wise apparently not the same.

23 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

Poor Econoline :(

From what I hear from my coworkers, the ones who went from the E-250 to the Transit-250 regret it. Sure I bet the fleet management loves the fuel savings, but comfort wise apparently not the same.

The Transit is the best selling vehicle in its class right now. It took a little while to take off but I see them everywhere now. Apparently the Ecoboost powered ones can tow well above the rated limit with ease.

Thinking of big gas engines, I'd almost expect Ford to come out with something new or revised to replace/upgrade the aging 6.8L V10, with GM rumored to re-enter the medium duty truck market I would think that with as much money Ford has invested in the new F6/750 that they would want a more advanced high displacement gas V8 or V10. The current 6.8L V10 is kinda pointless since it barley makes more power than the Ford 6.2L and about the same as the GM L86.  Ford would be in big trouble if GM reintroduced something like the L18 8100.  Ford is currently the only domestic brand to offer a large gas engine in truck applications, who would have thought the old Triton V10 would stick around so long.

I see them everywhere too, and of course when your fleet is paying for the fuel it adds up. I think it is a sacrifice for comfort as it is a work vehicle, not a luxury vehicle, and although it has some features, it isn't as comfortable as the E-Series or Express/Savanas.

The last Econolines weren't all that comfortable to begin with. As with everything else Ford built, the seats were too low and inadequately padded (although the Transit, being European, is probably orders of magnitude worse in that respect).

I see very few Transits around here. I think there's more Nissan NVs around than there are Transits. I can't believe that thing already has 50% of the fullsize van market in this country.

We use E450 's for our Paratransit fleet. It's a combination of the Champion Challenger body with Ford engine, suspension etc. They take a beating but have done well except for the 2013's. Almost every one of them has had to have a new transmission at around 90 K.  

That's surprising, the torque shift 5 speed 5R110 is pretty tough.

Sent from my XT1250 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Thub said:

That's surprising, the torque shift 5 speed 5R110 is pretty tough.

I don't know why, but when otherwise normal people with functioning brain stems use marketing bullshit names, it bothers the hell out of me.

Like "ecoboost" that drives me nuts.
Its not "eco", its not even all that special, most manufacturers have a GTDI engine available in some form or another, Ford just has better marketing.

#RantOver

• Like 1

Torque Shift is just the name Ford tossed on behind the HD truck transmissions.

Everything is getting a unique name. Nothing new really even with engines. Case in point: Zetec and Duratec is pretty much Ford's name for most DOHC Motors, EcoBoost is their Turbocharged engines, Vulcan, Essex, etc. Transmissions I am not shocked get names too.

Also as far as comfort, I did sit in a coworker's Transit today... Yeah I'd so take Econoline as a personal vehicle for comfort... But also having driven an Econoline... I would get 7 to 8 MPG with the 5.4L, so I get why the Transit does well - much better on gas with the same amount of storage in the back.