Sign in to follow this  
Jaybrooks

Which gen Taurus is the best ??

Just wondering what you fellow Taurus owners think

I would say gen two or three that have the V8 sho engine but the best looking Taurus I would say is the gen 4 and the newest one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally love the Gen I and II models particularly for their styling. While the 3.8 takes the cake for being the most troubling when the head gasket issues strike, if the rest of the package is maintained, they seemed to hold up well enough.

• Like 1

Probably the one that started it all, ie the G1. Looks wise, I think the G2. Was a very handsome looking car! Really cemented the Taurus in the American psyche I think.

Gen II for sure.

Gen I had the cheap 80's switches, plastics, etc (Yes, it's an 80's car, I know) The Gen 2 had the refined interior that still looks modern today with the switches, the controls, and the look and feel.

8 hours ago, zenriddles said:

I can't decide.....

I lol'd

• Like 2

The Gen 2 or the Gen 6.

The Gen 2 was a looker and really put the car in the spotlight. But the Gen 6 was a huge leap forward in build quality, appearance, and reputation.

The Gen 5 was a mistake.

• Like 1

Gen 2. I'm partial to the jelly bean styling of the Gen 3, very unique (with exception of the Infiniti J30), but the Gen 2 set the standard for other makers to follow. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rohand901 said:

I lol'd

I bet he decides on the Gen 3.... 

• Like 1

gen 2

• Like 1

Because of my addiction to long roof models, my choice is limited to Generation I to IV. The Taurus X version is closer to SUV than wagon (especially heightwise.)

However, the generation III and IV wagon models have a serious flaw, namely the rear washer wiper. By placing the wiper at the top, the washer fluid applied to the rear window always ends up either streaking and/or dripping. Also that bubble shaped, compound curved rear glass is very difficult to scrape winter time frost.

That leaves me with either Generation I or II. While I liked the fact Generation I models were available with a manual transmission (the MT-5 wagon), the interior of Generation II which allows a double DIN sound system seals it for me.

If I ever find a suitable 1994 or 1995 wagon, I will fulfil my bucket list (and make my moniker/avitar real). Result, my vote goes to the 1992 to 1995 editions.

Edited by SHO-WGN
correction
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SHO-WGN said:

However, the generation III and IV wagon models have a serious flaw, namely the rear washer wiper. By placing the wiper at the top, the washer fluid applied to the rear window always ends up either streaking and/or dripping. Also that bubble shaped, compound curved rear glass is very difficult to scrape winter time frost.

Probably no room inside the rear hatch for the motor assembly so they moved it up top.  The washer nozzle drips on every cars rear window anyway.

I'd say either the Gen 2 of the Gen 4.

So hard to choose. I guess I would have to say Gen 3 as it's the best 'mix' of technologies and styling from Gen 2 and Gen 4. Gen 5 is a close second because I just love the styling and the Taurus X :wub:

Edited by Josh_GL_Limited

I like the styling of the Gen 3, but nothing beats the Gen 2 in bad weather -- I'd take a 94 Taurus over a 4x4 Jeep in snow.

• Like 1

My 95 was a real trouper when it came to bad weather. Wasn't sure how it would handle in the PA snow after being raised in CA, but it really surprised me. 

I like my Gen 4. Easy and comfy to drive, decent mileage.  

I've done some crazy stuff with my 95 in severe weather. I've actually impressed people with its versatility when they thought my car wouldn't make it up a snowy driveway. It struggled, but I did the Clarkson approach: More Power. That Essex made it up a snowy driveway and didn't give a fuck. Man I can't wait to get my Gen 2 running again... :(

Of course... My Olds was the best Winter car I've ever driven. I couldn't even tell it was snowing out :(

• Like 1

9648cd8ccc956f993c462e6d50e08bc6.jpg

I wanna buy this engine and put it on my 01

Oh I agree, I agree. Car & Driver magazine (look at the eleventh frame) built one back in 1993 - albeit with the automatic transmission. The interesting thing is as soon as I saw it, I wanted it. No such luck. I have even owned both a 1995 Taurus wagon and a 1995 Taurus SHO (not at the same time though.) And as a notorious procrastinator, I never even considered "rolling" my own. Enthusiasts did build their own versions, including even a Sable variant.

Of course during those years, we built our house, raised kids (four boys), and traveled the country for IBM, so expensive automotive hobbies were on the back burner. In 2011, the youngest son surprised me completely by building me an SVT Focus wagon. Now my regret is that I never parked the old 1995 Taurus wagon and that 1995 manual transmission SHO on the back forty. (My Avatar on the Focus boards is SVT-WGN and that one is not a fake.)

Instead I am resigned to search like Diogenes of Sinope with his lamp, for the perfect pair on-line. So far, no luck. But if I do luck out, trust me, you will hear about here. A manual transmission Taurus performance wagon. I can only dream.

1 hour ago, Jaybrooks said:

9648cd8ccc956f993c462e6d50e08bc6.jpg

I wanna buy this engine and put it on my 01

There is a guy who's done that. He comes to our meets, his name is Anthony. I don't think he's on Taurus Owners. But his runs pretty well.

There's a 98 SHO engine for sales but they $1300 and it has 16000 miles on it

1 hour ago, SHOenough said:

There is a guy who's done that. He comes to our meets, his name is Anthony. I don't think he's on Taurus Owners. 

He is- forum name is Roach. 

1 hour ago, Jaybrooks said:

There's a 98 SHO engine for sales but they $1300 and it has 16000 miles on it

How much experience do you have with swapping engines? 

How much experience do you have with swapping engines? 

None I'm going off YouTube lmao j/p I have a shop that's willing to do it

3 hours ago, Jaybrooks said:

None I'm going off YouTube lmao j/p I have a shop that's willing to do it

You live in LA, if you want a fast car with some real power save your money, sell the Taurus and buy a used Mustang GT or something similar, cars like that have gotta be on dealer lots all over southern California. You could put 300hp in a Gen 4 Taurus if you wanted and it would still handle and drive like a regular fwd sedan compared to a late 90s Mustang GT with a 5 speed. The "sleeper" look only goes so far, and its not that far, not when you can buy a car that has the full package of sporty looks and sporty handling. 

If a Mustang is a little too much and you want a sedan I'm sure you can find an old LAPD CVPI and slap a blower on that pretty easy.

You live in LA, if you want a fast car with some real power save your money, sell the Taurus and buy a used Mustang GT or something similar, cars like that have gotta be on dealer lots all over southern California. You could put 300hp in a Gen 4 Taurus if you wanted and it would still handle and drive like a regular fwd sedan compared to a late 90s Mustang GT with a 5 speed. The "sleeper" look only goes so far, and its not that far, not when you can buy a car that has the full package of sporty looks and sporty handling. 

If a Mustang is a little too much and you want a sedan I'm sure you can find an old LAPD CVPI and slap a blower on that pretty easy.

I hate crown vics so damn ugly !! Yeah there easy to fix and maintain but I can't get chicks with those lmao

1933155a92d6b11c6c68dbd7981fe7c6.jpg

I can't