Sign in to follow this  
don2775

Brake Pads..

Getting close to replacing front pads, best type is.. (can spend up to $ 60.00 for a set). More information, my daily drive amounts to about a mile or so. Otherwise I only use it on weekends, to the grocery store and to the big city to go out to dinner and a movie.I especially don't want pads that leave brake dust.

You will want to look into ceramic pads.  They leave virtually no dust, however, they are ******* rotors.  They offer excellent stopping power with no dust, but you do sacrifice your rotors using them.  Organic pads are easy on rotors, but they dust pretty badly.  You could go with a good quality semi-metallic...you'll get some dust, but your rotors won't be sacrificed.  The AAP Wearever silvers I put on my step mother's  01 Taurus were super noisy from the beginning and dusted pretty badly ( the $20 value pad as that's all she wanted to spend).  She took them off and put Wagner Thermoquiets on and has been happy ever since.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

I'm running wagner thermoquiets for about 30k miles now. Virtually no dust, and no noise.

I feel that they don't grab worth a s**t though, feels like a lot of pedal travel and effort to get the car to slow down. Not sure if thats attributable to the disk/drum setup or a problem with my partcular car or set of pads but thats what I feel.

Looking at the wear, I'd say I'm not even halfway worn through them.

When you do get into the friction zone with them, they are predicable though.

All in all, I would not buy again, as I would want a more aggressive pad.

Edit: As compared to our new fords, with OEM motorcraft pads, they bite very hard at intial pedal tip-in but are dusty as hell.

I'm running wagner thermoquiets for about 30k miles now. Virtually no dust, and no noise.

I feel that they don't grab worth a s**t though, feels like a lot of pedal travel and effort to get the car to slow down. Not sure if thats attributable to the disk/drum setup or a problem with my partcular car or set of pads but thats what I feel.

Looking at the wear, I'd say I'm not even halfway worn through them.

When you do get into the friction zone with them, they are predicable though.

All in all, I would not buy again, as I would want a more aggressive pad.

Edit: As compared to our new fords, with OEM motorcraft pads, they bite very hard at intial pedal tip-in but are dusty as hell.

Somewhere on pads are a code of friction vs pressure. For street use EE or FF. Best that both letters are the same. One is cold friction, other hot friction. EE is standard FF is one step more agressive. Pic is my sedan, daughter drives is 98% of the miles. 51K miles when the pic taken. Raybestos ceramics. PGD598C. From RA, same ones on my Lin Cont, and my Sable wagon. I am very satisfied with the agressiveness and modulation. However, I just bought Bendix "closeout" from RA for the next use on the sedan Friction FF. I got the last set. Sedan now has 64K on them (Raybestos) and by measure about 35% left.

-chart-

post-1834-0-34297300-1457812581_thumb.jp

Its funny becuase Ford actually recommends Wagner thermo quiet ceramics as a backup if OEM Motorcraft are unavailable.  I have a set of thermo quiet ceramics on the 2002 and I like them.  Pedal feel may be a little soft but its very consistent and whether the brakes are hot or cold they respond the exact same way.  No dust at all from these pads either, the previous semi metallic pads would leave a nice coating of dust every week.

I had major dusting on the Explorer when I  first got it and wanted to eliminate that issue, ceramic pads on front and back and it stayed super clean.  Pedal feel was firm and the SUV would stop well.  It felt very different than the Taurus with ceramic pads, but I'm sure 4 wheel disc brakes and the big dual piston calipers up front made a big difference on the 4400lb SUV.

Its funny becuase Ford actually recommends Wagner thermo quiet ceramics as a backup if OEM Motorcraft are unavailable.  I have a set of thermo quiet ceramics on the 2002 and I like them.  Pedal feel may be a little soft but its very consistent and whether the brakes are hot or cold they respond the exact same way.  No dust at all from these pads either, the previous semi metallic pads would leave a nice coating of dust every week.

I had major dusting on the Explorer when I  first got it and wanted to eliminate that issue, ceramic pads on front and back and it stayed super clean.  Pedal feel was firm and the SUV would stop well.  It felt very different than the Taurus with ceramic pads, but I'm sure 4 wheel disc brakes and the big dual piston calipers up front made a big difference on the 4400lb SUV.

I bought this one! This pic from their Ford Dealer ad.

-chart-

post-1834-0-34832100-1457839539_thumb.jp

Are Motorcraft OEM the ceramic pads? They're available from rockauto. Otherwise I'll go with ceramic pads. My cold weather driving consists of work trip about a mile,as I work third shift, I see no traffic,so stopping isn't a problem. I'm thinking of getting the pad hold back springs too, that hold the pads off the rotors. Very little wear on the rotors from the current ceramic pads after 2 years of use, including the trip across the country to be bring it home.

Replace the hardware with the pads.  The hardware does wear during the lifetime of the brake pads and can lead to noise or binding if not replaced with the pads.  Any mid-line or better quality pad should include the pad hardware kit in the box.  If not definitely purchase it as it really is required to do a complete and thorough job.  

Jeff

For wagoneers. Pads rear. RA.

-chart-

post-1834-0-59509300-1457913783_thumb.jp