Sign in to follow this  
SoNic

Suspension Issue?

I have driven today a car (Hyundai XG350) that, when it was going over highway overpasses (suspension was working on some big humps), the steering was slightly moving left-right in response to the vertical movement of the suspension. What can do that?

Real experts no doubt will be able to explain this better. Several cars that exhibited left-right unexpected deviations from the intended path I have driven include the second Taurus wagon I bought as well as a Chevrolet Corsica I rented to drive from Calgary out to Banff.

The Taurus problem was solved when I replaced the worn all-season tires it came with brand new Michelin X-Ice (it was winter). In both vehicles I suspect the problem might have been uneven wear or uneven tire pressures. The Corsica had two different brands (identical tread) of front tires, which probably did not help.

So the easiest thing to check is the tire pressures, literally a free solution. Then check tire wear patterns, and finally wait for the real experts to provide solutions.

Tires, balljoints, tie rods, and/or alignment could all be the culprit.

I have driven today a car (Hyundai XG350) that, when it was going over highway overpasses (suspension was working on some big humps), the steering was slightly moving left-right in response to the vertical movement of the suspension. What can do that?

If you have one front shock bad or way out of control vs it's partner it will do that. Shocks do not always wear the same. One leaks gas, and/or oil and it is dead.

-chart-

post-1834-0-63315300-1454896517_thumb.jp

I was gonna suggest shocks as well. You may notice it more when you hit a bump or pothole on only one side. Car may feel like it "side steps" over the bump. One side shock is blown and the other side is barely holding.

When I got home I have noticed that the driver side tire looked lower than the passenger side. Checked the pressure on driver side - 33 psi. Hmmm... Checked on the passenger side - OMG, the measuring stick almost jumped off the tube! It was more than it could read (60 psi).

I have adjusted the pressure but didn't drive it since then. And BTW, it doesn't have McPherson suspension on front, it's actually a double whishbone, so worn suspension is not that critical like on our Ford/Mercury. But yes it might be balljoints too, even if it has a fresh inspection sticker on it.

Thanks for ideas, it's a new to me, 2004 car (for my son).

Edited by SoNic