Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Think I'd Be Stupid To Upgrade To Slotted Rotors And Perf Pads?

My 09 Sable will be needing brakes soon.  My tires, although I hate them, are far from worn out and so maybe I could spend the cash upgrading my brakes a little and roll on these tires for another year probably.  I've found on RockAuto slotted rotors and I'm thinking about purchasing them for the Sable along with some EBC brake pads.  I have no idea why they produce these for a car like ours, but do you think I'd see any type of gains with them? For rotors I've read that no high performance car comes with drilled rotors anymore...only slotted because the drilled feature has been made redundant by new pad compounds.  So, I should only see improvements using a slotted rotor.   I've always heard EBC makes great products and am thinking about the Green Stuff pads.  My only real apprehension is that I don't want a ton of brake dust and it says these are "medium dust" pads.  This car will never be a race car, but I would like to give it a slighly more aggressive look and any edge in brake performance is good in my book.  My Brembo pads have been great, but the pad shim has rusted and it's making my calipers look nasty with rust scale and my rear rotors are warped pretty badly.  Anyways....throw out some opinions.  All in all I could upgrade for around $350 including the Centric slotted rotors from RockAuto.  Thanks for any and all replies.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

I used EBC Greens on the '99 SE along with EBC dimpled/slotted rotors. They performed well and I don't recall too much dust. Only thing I didn't like about the rotors was the noise from the slots at low speed. Kinda like a card in bicycle spokes "tick tick tick tick". Minor annoyance. My '05 C230K has OEM drilled rotors. They don't make any noise. I'm using Akebono pads, and the dust is minimal, stopping performance is very good.

I feel the slots are more for looks, but they offer some benefits. However, a high quality blank rotor matched with high quality pads will perform excellent every time. I like rotors that have painted hubs to prevent rusting.

I have a set of green stuff pads on my sable now. They are bitey and really dusty, but with my driving style they are worn out already (haven't had them a whole year yet) and I'm looking to replace them... If I had the money, I would get them again. 

For our cars, blank rotors are better. Slots, holes, take away from surface, and if OE didn't account for that you will just loose precious friction for nothing. Just use good pads, friction FF, and be done.

I had good experience with the latest ones - also Brembo (from Amazon).

Other good ones that I have used in my cars are Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic.

Edited by SoNic

For our cars, blank rotors are better. Slots, holes, take away from surface, and if OE didn't account for that you will just loose precious friction for nothing. Just use good pads, friction FF, and be done.

I had good experience with the latest ones - also Brembo (from Amazon).

Other good ones that I have used in my cars are Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic.

Pic of pads from my Lin Cont, Raybestos ceramics. I put new rotors on my Lin about avery 2-3 years. keep the pads as they will last the life of the car. Used rotors go to one or the other of my '03 Sables. Identical parts. After 4-6 additional years in the rust belt they need to be scrapped from rust. All my herd has like new brakes performance.

Bulls '01 and later of G-4's use the same parts as the Lin, which is heavier and has 50% more cubic torque. So for me, the Bulls have more than adequate brakes with factory parts. I will stick with Raybestos and ceramics, it ain't broke no need to fix/change.

I pull the wheels and check the brakes of all 3 of my herd each fall, and flush the fluid every other year.

OH, this, when I replace rotors and keep the pads, I sand the pad surface to remove any glaze, and wash them in soap and water to remove any sand that might have come off my paper. Drop of oil on the spring hinge and be sure it is free. Wire bursh the backing plate contact surfaces.

-chart-

post-1834-0-37618800-1454864125_thumb.jp

Edited by -chart-

Johnny come lately - my opinion for what it is worth - go with the slotted rotors. Paint the rotors and the calipers. This is a cheap mod, not that hard to do and definitely improves the appearance of your car. Been doin' that since the mid nineteen sixties. The photo below are the rotors on my toy, the SVT-WGN. (The photo is the right rear brake.) Calipers still need to be painted.

FcUpEy5.jpg

Edited by SHO-WGN
  • Like 1