Cabin Heater Improvement?

Hey, all, not sure this is right forum, but...

... Is there any way to up the output and temp of my '06 Taurus heater? I'm a tender-foot Californian and we're having temps in the 40s to 50's just now (yeah, I know, you hard-case Mid-Westerners, I'm whining over nothing) and I'd love a little more oomph, if you know what I mean.

'Any help?

Many thanks,

Eric B.

Pasadena, CA.

Personally I think the Taurus, the Vulcan equipped models especially put out excellent heat, I've never had an issue and as you may figure I've had to deal with temperatures 60 degrees lower than what your mentioning. If the heat feels like its delivering less than it had in the past or just isn't warming the cabin up there is probably something that can be done.  I'll toss out the easy items and their reasoning. 

Coolant: When was the last time it was changed or flushed? Even running the long life (Gold colored) coolant the 3.0L Vulcan should have the coolant changed every 3-4 years if not more often than that.  What color is the coolant currently, gold, light brown, brown/rusty? The heater core could be getting dirty and plugging up not delivering the heat you would expect.  Coolant flush and heater core back flush would fix this issue. The Vulcan engine is kinda picky about its coolant due to its all iron design.

Water Pump: The impellers on the water pumps of these engines have been know to rust and basically disintegrate into nothing causing poor coolant flow.  It may still be able to properly cool the engine but not provide enough flow through the heater core.  Further evidence of this would be poor heat at idle but good heat when the engine is running at speed (2000-3000rpm).

Just some things to think about to help pin down the issue.

All 3 of my Taurus have had great heaters. Third Bull can go from zero to comfy in just a few miles, even here in PA when it's in the 20s or worse.

Being an ex Californian (Sonoma County) , I can understand how you are suffering in the chill of 40-50 degree temps.  You can follow Thub's advice above, or put on a jacket and a pair of gloves !!   :icon_razz:

• Like 1

I used to use a bit of a trick with my '99. On those really cold days, put the recirculate on. Just make sure the A/C is also on or else your windows will fog up.

This works because instead of heating up cold exterior air, it will reheat already warm interior air which increases efficiency and provides hotter air.

BTW, of course there was no recirculate button on a '99 so I had to use the "MAX A/C" position.

Hey, all, not sure this is right forum, but...

... Is there any way to up the output and temp of my '06 Taurus heater? I'm a tender-foot Californian and we're having temps in the 40s to 50's just now (yeah, I know, you hard-case Mid-Westerners, I'm whining over nothing) and I'd love a little more oomph, if you know what I mean.

'Any help?

Many thanks,

Eric B.

Pasadena, CA.

If your car does not reach stady normal temp reading on the gage by 4-5 miles, you need to replace your thermostat. It may rise then fall back or be slow to reach normal. Combine flush with thermostat, use only QUALITY stat, like OEM.

-chart-

Eric, on really cold mornings (this is really old school here!) put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator....just remember to remove it when the day warms up! If we lived where it is really cold, you would want to leave it there all winter.

Eric, on really cold mornings (this is really old school here!) put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator....just remember to remove it when the day warms up! If we lived where it is really cold, you would want to leave it there all winter.

I would not recommend using a "Winter Front" on a gas powered car in Southern California.  He's not driving a diesel or living where it gets below freezing on a regular basis.

• Like 1

One other quick check is the cabin air filter. If it has not been changed or cleaned, then the interior will not heat as quickly.

I would not recommend using a "Winter Front" on a gas powered car in Southern California.  He's not driving a diesel or living where it gets below freezing on a regular basis.

Only time I've ever done this is on my Econoline during the days below 20