Sign in to follow this  
bergreneric

G4 - Brighter Headlights?

Dear Folks,

I've had a '06 Taurus for about six months now (really really like it, save the poor gas mileage, but that's another question) and, what with the recent Time Shift, I'm doing more night driving and find the production headlights decidedly... dim.

The plastics are pretty clean and clear, as are the reflecting surfaces within the lamps, at least as far as I can tell.

What (DOT-legal and non-blinding-to-other-drivers) replacement bulbs might you recommend? Would I need new wiring of some kind, depending? Could it simply be a poor electrical connection?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and time.

Eric Bergren

Pasadena, CA.

Dear Folks,

I've had a '06 Taurus for about six months now (really really like it, save the poor gas mileage, but that's another question) and, what with the recent Time Shift, I'm doing more night driving and find the production headlights decidedly... dim.

The plastics are pretty clean and clear, as are the reflecting surfaces within the lamps, at least as far as I can tell.

What (DOT-legal and non-blinding-to-other-drivers) replacement bulbs might you recommend? Would I need new wiring of some kind, depending? Could it simply be a poor electrical connection?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and time.

Eric Bergren

Pasadena, CA.

PIc of my relay system, built off the car and then put on. Or in my case, moved from '01 which I sold to '03 which I bought. Switch over relatively staight forward. I cut into the wires at each headlight in the light harness at the lamp and not in the car wires. Thus can be removed and switched easily.

Wire diagram in pic.

Also, bulbs. By the book, standard bulbs loose 20% output over their life. I use Sylvania Xtravision. They claim 30% but it is cheating. In the print, compared to used standard bulb. So the old bulbs have lost 20% and they gain 10% for total 30%. But the Xtravision have longer life than standard.

But adding volts at the bulb, shortens life. Bulbs rated at 320 hours at 12.8V. That is about 16K miles of bulb use. Of course that is not accepted for OEM so the cut the volts by the #20 wire to the bulbs, giving 11.8V which makes life 1175 hours or ~60K miles of bulb use.  

My relay gives me 13.0V at the bulbs with car at 13.8V and by the math, giving me 250 hours = 12.5K miles of bulb life. Actual measured output +30% from the relay only. So I expect maybe 25K miles at my type of driving or 3 years. I expect to replace very 2 years. I find it worth it, very satisfied with results on low beams. I would like to do the high beams but not in my priority right now.

For the math people, light output goes 3.4^ of the V/V where actual V over rated volts =12.8. Life goes with the -16^ so easy to see why 5% extra V cuts life in half. No free ride. Life is a tradoff.

-chart-

post-1834-0-06870500-1447808794_thumb.jp

post-1834-0-06169500-1447808936_thumb.jp

Edited by -chart-
  • Like 1

Welcome Eric!

Chart has hands down the best annotated pictures and diagrams.

Putco makes an upgraded harness that will help some.(I have no experience with this, maybe someone else will chime in)

These are the bulbs I run on stock wiring. Made a huge difference and would recommend. I have approximately 30k miles on them over about 2 years

There are also a handful of us that have added aftermarket driving lights behind the lower grille on the bumper.

Welcome Eric!

Chart has hands down the best annotated pictures and diagrams.

Putco makes an upgraded harness that will help some.(I have no experience with this, maybe someone else will chime in)

These are the bulbs I run on stock wiring. Made a huge difference and would recommend. I have approximately 30k miles on them over about 2 years

There are also a handful of us that have added aftermarket driving lights behind the lower grille on the bumper.

That harness looks like a good deal. Plug and play.

-chart-

That harness looks like a good deal. Plug and play.

-chart-

I looked at the harness pic: if there is anything that plugs into anything on the car, or headlamp,  I do not see it. If anyone has one of these, I would be interested in how it hooks up.

I would read the reviews if I was interested.

-chart-

Update, see pic, I get it now. You have to do away with your air tight lamp cover and use their bulb sockets. So that leaves your lamp wide open to everything. Expect water in your lamps.

post-1834-0-17212000-1447870252_thumb.gi

Edited by -chart-

I looked at the harness pic: if there is anything that plugs into anything on the car, or headlamp,  I do not see it. If anyone has one of these, I would be interested in how it hooks up.

I would read the reviews if I was interested.

-chart-

Update, see pic, I get it now. You have to do away with your air tight lamp cover and use their bulb sockets. So that leaves your lamp wide open to everything. Expect water in your lamps.

You can easily cut access holes in those covers. The more important seal is between the two bulbs in each housing and their respective reflectors.

• Like 1

You can easily cut access holes in those covers. The more important seal is between the two bulbs in each housing and their respective reflectors.

Existing wires are sealed water and air tight through the cup. If I used this, I would want to cut the wires outside the cup, solder and shrink wrap and keep the factory seal.

Also, complaints from comsumers are no fuse holder included, and for me, existing HL are separately fused and this looks likes they use only one supply for both bulbs. Existing FORD design has separate 15A bulb fuses at the battery box and direct to each lamp. SAFETY.

Just my $0.02 worth.

-chart-

post-1834-0-66895200-1447943115_thumb.jp

I agree with Chart on this one. I would not damage the rear seals and also I would like a fuse per bulb. When bulbs burn out, sometimes they take the fuse out. With the OE design in that case you still have one light left on, to get home.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk