Return Of The Ford Ranger

The ranger WAS vulcan powered...

Unless it was 4 Cyl. like my son's. 5 speed.

That is much better than the Essex powered F-150. Son inlaw, (ex now) had one blew head gasket and hydrolocked. I talked to local used place that fixed and sold, he told me NO WAY he would touch that. I think it went to the JY.

-chart-

Hope Ford drops the 3.2L I5 PSD in the Ranger immediately and not wait a year like GM.  That's a well proven motor and should sell really well given the well known Power Stroke name and fact that its already circulating around the market in the Transit.

Rumors have been surging about the Aviator making a comeback as well and that it 'would be produced at Chicago Assembly'. However these rumors aren't necessarily true yet. Ford has only purchased the rights to the Aviator nameplate (again) and hasn't said anything about a new SUV, or confirmed production. Which means the spot left for a new vehicle at Chicago Assembly (as seen in the UAW document released a few days ago) should be, the one and only... you guessed it... TAURUS!!! :D

Edited by Josh_GL_Limited

Rumors have been surging about the Aviator making a comeback as well and that it 'would be produced at Chicago Assembly'. However these rumors aren't necessarily true yet. Ford has only purchased the rights to the Aviator nameplate (again) and hasn't confirmed production. Which means the spot left at Chicago Assembly should be for the one and only... you guessed it... TAURUS!!! :D

Probably more like the Police Interceptor Sedan and Utility as both those models probably outsell the civilian Taurus. I wouldn't be surprised if the "regular" Taurus is imported from China while the Interceptors are made in the US so Ford can meet guidelines of municipalities and government agencies to buy an American made vehicle. So they don't fall to the wayside like the joke of a Caprice GM tries to sell.  In fact GM is still selling the old body style 9C1 Impala, that's embarrassing. (I'll wait for someone to say Ford sold the same Crown Vic for 12 years, but guess what...the Impala is no Crown Vic.)

• Like 1

GM has always sold their previous body models in fleets, hell, Ford did it too. 2006 and 2007 Taurus were fleet-only. My 05 Taurus was a retail car :)

GM has always sold their previous body models in fleets, hell, Ford did it too. 2006 and 2007 Taurus were fleet-only. My 05 Taurus was a retail car :)

Only 2007 was a fleet only model. This is going on year 2 of the old Impala body style. Besides the W body is getting rather long in the tooth and should have been retired several years ago, as in like 2010 or earlier.  So they are going to replace it with the Caprice...basically a car from 2007.  This is why you don't see many GM cars in fleets, even Dodge is superior to GM at this point.

I am interested to see if Ford will actually continue producing a sedan police car, with the Utility making up over half of new police vehicles sold they are clearly going to produce more SUV style police vehicles. I think they will be forced to offer a sedan version though, some departments still stick with almost all sedans....Green Bay Police and Brown County with all the new Chargers they have.

06 and 07 was fleet-only and not featured on ford.com but featured on fleet.ford.com - I purpously remember buying a brand new 2005 Ford Taurus because I thought they would have been fully discontinued. Some dealers did sell 06's, but Ford wanted you to buy a 500 instead as that was the replacement intended for it.

Many say the same about the Crown Victoria being overdue for retirement, it would probably still be around if the tooling wasn't so worn out.

Obviously GM has a demand for these cars otherwise they would not keep producing them. GM always offered cars as the "classic" to sell to fleet only and use up stock.

The Caprice's biggest asset is its inconspicuousness. Saw an unmarked one the other day and if it weren't for the Caprice emblem you'd never think anything of it.

Besides the W body is getting rather long in the tooth and should have been retired several years ago

The W platform should've been retired in 1987.

I've seen only 1 police Caprice for a local municipality. It's been parked behind a dealership repair bay for the last two years. No idea why. It's not wrecked.

Illinois State Police has a ton of them as does North Aurora. I always see one Caprice a day when driving on the tollways here for work.

Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a ISP Truck/SUV. If they're doing highway patrol, probably better to have something lower to the ground like a Taurus in case there is a high speed pursuit.

I know there is a HUGE parking lot full of brand new Taurus ISP Patrol cars parked off of I-355 in Downers Grove, not sure if they are still there, but pretty awesome to see a whole parking lot full of white ISP Tauruses. Probably to start replacing the Crown Vics :(

ISP has a lot of Tahoes and Ford Utility PI's, both marked and unmarked. I'm surprised if you haven't seen any of them on the highway before.

My Internet Service Provider doesn't buy police cars...

\sarcasm

• Like 1

City of Columbia SC has  HYUNDAI SONATA cop car.  What?  I wish I could grab a picture of it.  That makes no sense.

City of Cola has a mix though... Caprices, Crowns Taurus PIs.

Richland County has Tahoes, Taurus PIs, Crown Vics and Explorer PI.

SC Highway Patrol has Chargers, Tahoes (more for the semi trunk police), Taurus PIs.

City of Kent uses mostly Tahoes and Crown Vics, with a few Chargers, and since ours last longer (not sure why exactly), not many (if any) are newer than 2010. I'd assume that we're probably buying new Tahoes if/when the PD decides to buy more.

Edited by Josh_GL_Limited

Funny, because after I posted that I've never seen an Illinois State Police trooper with an SUV, today on I-88, I saw a Tahoe. I have lost count on how many Crown Vics, Caprices, and Tauruses though, I know apparently they have a Charger or two, but I've never seen them in service.

ISP's Charger patrol cars spent way too much downtime in the shop, so they already stopped buying them. I haven't seen a single one on the street for a couple years.