A couple months ago when it was real hot I was running the AC on the Max AC settings. I stopped to pick up a friend, started the car up again and the blower wasn't working on the Max AC setting, but it works fine on the regular AC and it also works fine when I run the heater. 

I have been googling around, but haven't found the answer. So I need to know if this is something minor that I can fix myself, or is it indicative of a bigger problem that I'll need help with?  Car is the 96 Sable. The HVAC control is manual. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Do you know if the compressor was working when Max A/C was selected? Wondering if the switch itself is going bad.

When the blower motor isn't working?

I am just curious if the switch is making full contact, thus nothing appears to happen on Max AC. You can open the hood, look at the compressor, and should see both parts at the end spinning. If it is off, the belt pulley will spin, but the middle will be stationary.

A couple months ago when it was real hot I was running the AC on the Max AC settings. I stopped to pick up a friend, started the car up again and the blower wasn't working on the Max AC setting, but it works fine on the regular AC and it also works fine when I run the heater. 

I have been googling around, but haven't found the answer. So I need to know if this is something minor that I can fix myself, or is it indicative of a bigger problem that I'll need help with?  Car is the 96 Sable. The HVAC control is manual. Thanks in advance for any advise.

With manual climate, the blower is independent of other things, the blower speed switch and the resisitor bank manages the blower speed.

-chart-

When the blower motor isn't working?

I am just curious if the switch is making full contact, thus nothing appears to happen on Max AC. You can open the hood, look at the compressor, and should see both parts at the end spinning. If it is off, the belt pulley will spin, but the middle will be stationary.

The parts on the compressor are spinning with Max ac on, not just the belt

The parts on the compressor are spinning with Max ac on, not just the belt

The friction plate should stop in "vent" if all is working right. Best check that.

-chart-